User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Booster Pack instead of Solar?

Does anyone have thoughts or experience using a battery-booster as back-up power instead of using or to supplement solar (good or bad)?

We are planning to do a little of-the-grid camping, 1 or 2 nights at a time (boondocking or non-power sites) while travelling. In the past our battery has been good for short stints and we've recharged while driving the truck however I'm looking for a power back-up for the battery that's simple and reliable (regardless of weather). I am thinking we can connect the booster to the battery to maintain a full charge and we can recharge the booster through the truck's inverter or at a full hook-up site. I also like a booster v solar as they can come with portable compressor which is always handy and if I have an issue with my truck battery I have a booster to get started.

I started researching battery boosters as an alternative to solar panels and I've landed on MotoMaster Eliminator 1400A Booster Pack features:
    - 1400 peak amps and 700 crank assist amps
    - Built in 120 PSI air compressor with digital display and programmable PSI
    - Three 3.1A USB ports
    - Digital LCD screen with easy to read icons provides internal battery voltage and PSI readout
    - Built-in high efficiency charger allows the unit to recharge faster and can be left connected without risk of overcharging
    - Premium internal battery featuring AGM technology

Appreciate any input
    Last edited by FareEnuff; 04-04-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Retired and very happily married
    Ontario, Canada
    2014 Sierra 1500 Denali & 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Camping since 1974 - Tents, Pop-Up Trailer, Various Travel Trailers and Class A

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, it would be helpful to know which RV you have. You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Now, the unit you are describing is a fast-discharge battery meant for jump starting vehicles. What you need for your RV is a deep cycle RV/marine battery that can be drawn down further than the "booster" battery in the pack above. The name "MotoMaster" gives away its intended use. Instead, I would recommend looking at increasing the size or number of deep cycle batteries on board and perhaps looking at a suitcase solar charger for occasional use. A small portable generator like the Hondas is another viable option.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FareEnuff View Post
    - Premium internal battery featuring AGM technology
    In addition to what Rob said, I'd be leery about any company that describes AGM as a premium battery.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're from Canada eh. Lol Only Canadian Tire sell MotoMaster. Stay away from that, they don't last. If your looking for a good booster go with Noco but boosters are for boosting. For what you are looking to do, like others have said, increase your deep cycle battery bank or look into solar generators. They are mobile battery banks. It could fit what you are looking for. BTW you don't have to get the solar part.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A booster pack is essentially a lawn mower battery and a charger in a box. It’s not going to do much for you.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks "Second Chance" for the signature tip - Appreciated and added

I already have a deep cycle battery on the trailer, just exploring options but I agree that increasing my battery bank size may be the way to go and augment with solar.

Much appreciated
    D
    Last edited by FareEnuff; 04-04-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    Retired and very happily married
    Ontario, Canada
    2014 Sierra 1500 Denali & 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Camping since 1974 - Tents, Pop-Up Trailer, Various Travel Trailers and Class A