User Tag List

Thread: Barkers - Ugh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barkers - Ugh

Well some time back, we contemplated getting another dog, and we did, she is a good dog and potty trained easy, listen good and is a very loyal dog. the only thing is i have a hard time getting her to stop barking. for the most part, she will bark at someone once or twice, i let her know it's ok and she stops. or when someone comes to the door, a warning bark and all ok. it's the passers by etc that she thinks she needs to bark at all the time, frustrating for me and i am sure for others. sometimes she just a simple bark and other times goes on and on and on. She is almost two and like i said, for the most part she is good, just the barking. i have tried the little strobe light thing, don't work, grabbing and holding her and keeping her calm, sometimes, etc. Oh, mini aussie, she is very energetic and we keep here busy to help with energy, but wow, sometimes UGHHH. Ideas, suggestions, etc. thanks
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought an egg looking thing made by Sunbeam. It admits a high pitch sound when they bark that we can't hear but the dogs don't like. We use it when we leave sometimes. I say sometimes because we have an older dog too who doesn't hear very well and it doesn't bother him...so he barks and it hurts the pup.

Hope that makes sense.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a labradoodle that acted very much the same way, warning barks mostly but constant barking at passersby. She does this even at home, parking herself on the couch in the living room and barking at the walkers on our street. We got a Garmin Sport XC collar that has tone, vibrate and shock. So far, we've never had to shock...the vibrate stops any barking immediately. It also has a feature called "bark limiter" which you can activate and then no need to carry or use the remote. If she's wearing the collar, barking triggers a vibration and if the barking doesn't stop, it escalates to shocking at a preset level. I'm pretty sure she's not been shocked as the barking stops right away.

Our girl has gotten much better about random barking as she's aged but still had the need to "bark at everyone that went by". This collar pretty much fixed that. It sounded pretty funny at first when she would get out about half a bark until the vibrate would check her and it turned into a little yelp at the end.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can get a training collar that has tone and shock. Train to stop barking on voice and tone. Shock is initially used to reinforce. Dog learns to obey tone/voice quickly, then voice alone. Reinforce with a good treat (Zukes). I don't like the bark collars as they tend to be shock only (They do work though). You could also try an old fashion dog whistle and add it to her training routine to stop barking when blown.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen a bark deterent get a rating over 3 stars, I think because it is a trial and error game to see what works for your dog, your situation. God bless you for recognizing this as an issue. Too many inconsiderate dog owers IMO. The ultrasonic deterents never worked for our dog. But this did.

https://store.petsafe.net/rechargeab...control-collar
    -Rob M

2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE "Wanda Travelmor"
    Everything we wanted in a trailer, nothing we didn't.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to be tough
    Many people struggle with doing this because they think it is abusive
    It is about master and domination
    When it barks grab it by the collar and force it to the ground and tell it to stop
    My dog did this about 4 times and decided being put to the ground isn’t what I want and definitely wasn’t what she wants

Watch Cesar Milan. You can tell stop all you want but it will never work. It needs to be dominated

I personally don’t see the need in a barking dog for any reason

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm used to being barked at.....probably cause Ive been married for 42 years
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    Well some time back, we contemplated getting another dog, and we did, she is a good dog and potty trained easy, listen good and is a very loyal dog. the only thing is i have a hard time getting her to stop barking. for the most part, she will bark at someone once or twice, i let her know it's ok and she stops. or when someone comes to the door, a warning bark and all ok. it's the passers by etc that she thinks she needs to bark at all the time, frustrating for me and i am sure for others. sometimes she just a simple bark and other times goes on and on and on. She is almost two and like i said, for the most part she is good, just the barking. i have tried the little strobe light thing, don't work, grabbing and holding her and keeping her calm, sometimes, etc. Oh, mini aussie, she is very energetic and we keep here busy to help with energy, but wow, sometimes UGHHH. Ideas, suggestions, etc. thanks
    Aussies be it mini or standard in size are bred not only to herd but to protect and barking is your warning someone is approaching or there. What helps at times is if you beat them to it and let them know there is no threat and you took care of it. (easier said than done at times) This also helps in letting them know you are the Alpha..Aussies are smart and they are thinkers and if they think there is a away to trick you they will exploit it. When you keep them busy give them mind stimulation as well .

Our mini is a barker and we have been working hard to stop it this if we beat her to the punch things go well and reward with their favorite treat (zukes as mentioned above) Once the mini (Belle) starts the standard (Skye) jumps into the mix then it is all out chaos as they feed off each other. We are making progress because people in the park have stopped to tell me they had walked by and the dogs remained quiet.. hope that some day they are quiet unless there is a real threat.. I believe that they sense when there is and when there isn't.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We utilized a bark collar on our last two dogs. Adjustable settings. It took about a week tops and the issue was resolved.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use bark collars one our two that can hear. Nash will bark at a mouse fart, Reid not unless he sees something, but if either one, especially Nash, gets started then Halo senses the vibration and she starts. We ask our neighbors every time we have left if they were a problem.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target: