User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Rejex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006V0LNY/ for over 10 years on cars, trucks airplanes and RVs. https://www.corrosionx.com/pages/rej...sked-questions

The nice thing about using it is that you can use it on fiberglass and it’s also safe to use on vinyl graphics.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    I have had a devil of a time with the search feature on this forum so I will just post my question.

What 'wax' are you using for the exterior of your rigs?

Google wasn't much of a help as each manufacturer says theirs is the best.

I used Mequires Cleaner Wax on my last rig.
    I did have some premature peeling of the graphics and I would like to avoid that on my new rig.

I used Zip Wash & Wax for regular washes and have no complaints there.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    3M Perfect-It. Made specifically for gel coat finishes. Has three different levels available depending upon your finish appearance (needs a lot, a little or no compounding-wax only). I used to use McGuire's #50 which is a cleaner/wax for my Alpenlite for 13 years which looked new when I traded it in. I only quit using it when I found the 3M product.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    FYI - ceramic coatings do nothing with gelcoat. You'd be wasting your money! If you have full body paint, then by all means.
    Could you please explain?
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wash Wax All user for several years now. Use it on our autos too.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Could you please explain?
    Ceramic coatings are formulated to bond to paint. Gelcoat has no similarity to automotive paint. Not even surface charge. So unless the camper has full body paint, the ceramic will be topical and simply rinse away. Gelcoats are polymeric, largely thermosets, which is why they look great with polymer-based waxes.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ceramic coatings are formulated to bond to paint. Gelcoat has no similarity to automotive paint. Not even surface charge. So unless the camper has full body paint, the ceramic will be topical and simply rinse away. Gelcoats are polymeric, largely thermosets, which is why they look great with polymer-based waxes.
    I must say Rob, I don't think I have "seen" anybody on this forum with as much knowledge about so many things as you......wowsers ! Appreciate all your feedback on a wide range (did I say WIDE range) of topics !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Meguiar’s M5616 Marine/RV Pure Wax Carnauba Blend - goes on and comes off easy and looks great.

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So which wax do you recommend for gelcoat with graphics?

Thanks,

Dave
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    I must say Rob, I don't think I have "seen" anybody on this forum with as much knowledge about so many things as you......wowsers ! Appreciate all your feedback on a wide range (did I say WIDE range) of topics !

Dan
    LOL! If you talk to Nikki, she will explain why I am wired the way I am (she's a psychologist)! I'm just not one for an idle mind or idle hands, have too many hobbies and interests, and make a lot of different materials. Nice to contribute where I can, and really enjoy learning new things from the forums and fellow campers as our subculture is full of extraordinary folks!

Quote Originally Posted by caswelld View Post
    So which wax do you recommend for gelcoat with graphics?

Thanks,

Dave
    Polymer-based are the most flexible overall because they do not develop the surface tension or have pore-infiltrating/diffusion characteristics of the emulsifiers and carrier compounds used with carnauba-based and silicone-based waxes and polishes. Vinyl decals are destroyed mostly by two mechanism - emulsifiers/carriers penetrating the very thin vinyl, which can occur by traveling through the microscopic pores (cast vinyl has them) or by a process called diffusion - and then breaking down the adhesive layer. The other mechanism, surface tension, causes forces that want to peel the decals up (curling them). Vinyl, and the adhesives, have come a tremendously long way since campers starting receiving them. While the RV industry isn't using high-quality Oracal for instance, they're way better than days of old, but still should not be taken for granted. However, my nephew has his own vinyl sign, decal, and wrap business and is hoping to continue to see supply of RV customers!

Up until the enormous amount of surface area of our Solitude, I used nothing by Klasse All-in-One on all of our gelcoat campers that I would apply twice yearly when de-winterizing and then again for winter, and supplement with a spray-on, wipe-off polymer-based nanowax suspension. I cannot give you the brand because they discontinued the product when they revamped their nano-based line, and the new offerings are emulsions making them complete junk IMO! I'm sure there's good alternatives out there considering the grow in the hobbyist detailing market, I just don't have need at this time to find another. Anyway, our campers have been parked outside year-round, in the sun (literally no shade where parked) and never had a decal peel, and with the exception of the Shamrock logo decal on their front bunk of our HTT along ago, never had them fade to the chalked out state. The Shamrock logo was a very early, multi-colored, printed vinyl logo and everyone's faded back because the colorant oxidized (coincidentally, I found that I still have a replacement decal when cleaning the basement a few weekends ago).

For the Solitude, I have converted to Wash Wax All because doing that much surface area, outdoors, is just more than Nikki and I can do. I am gladly taking donations for the pole barn fund, however! I didn't make that switch carelessly either. I did my homework and some testing. WWA is water-based suspension of favorable pH and non-caustic (you can request their lab reports BTW) and uses a micro-polymer. It does not last nearly as long as my old regiment, however it's just so simple to apply with normal washing that it's perfectly acceptable to us. The key being to have a couple of the mops and extra heads.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! If you talk to Nikki, she will explain why I am wired the way I am (she's a psychologist)! I'm just not one for an idle mind or idle hands, have too many hobbies and interests, and make a lot of different materials. Nice to contribute where I can, and really enjoy learning new things from the forums and fellow campers as our subculture is full of extraordinary folks!

Polymer-based are the most flexible overall because they do not develop the surface tension or have pore-infiltrating/diffusion characteristics of the emulsifiers and carrier compounds used with carnauba-based and silicone-based waxes and polishes. Vinyl decals are destroyed mostly by two mechanism - emulsifiers/carriers penetrating the very thin vinyl, which can occur by traveling through the microscopic pores (cast vinyl has them) or by a process called diffusion - and then breaking down the adhesive layer. The other mechanism, surface tension, causes forces that want to peel the decals up (curling them). Vinyl, and the adhesives, have come a tremendously long way since campers starting receiving them. While the RV industry isn't using high-quality Oracal for instance, they're way better than days of old, but still should not be taken for granted. However, my nephew has his own vinyl sign, decal, and wrap business and is hoping to continue to see supply of RV customers!

Up until the enormous amount of surface area of our Solitude, I used nothing by Klasse All-in-One on all of our gelcoat campers that I would apply twice yearly when de-winterizing and then again for winter, and supplement with a spray-on, wipe-off polymer-based nanowax suspension. I cannot give you the brand because they discontinued the product when they revamped their nano-based line, and the new offerings are emulsions making them complete junk IMO! I'm sure there's good alternatives out there considering the grow in the hobbyist detailing market, I just don't have need at this time to find another. Anyway, our campers have been parked outside year-round, in the sun (literally no shade where parked) and never had a decal peel, and with the exception of the Shamrock logo decal on their front bunk of our HTT along ago, never had them fade to the chalked out state. The Shamrock logo was a very early, multi-colored, printed vinyl logo and everyone's faded back because the colorant oxidized (coincidentally, I found that I still have a replacement decal when cleaning the basement a few weekends ago).

For the Solitude, I have converted to Wash Wax All because doing that much surface area, outdoors, is just more than Nikki and I can do. I am gladly taking donations for the pole barn fund, however! I didn't make that switch carelessly either. I did my homework and some testing. WWA is water-based suspension of favorable pH and non-caustic (you can request their lab reports BTW) and uses a micro-polymer. It does not last nearly as long as my old regiment, however it's just so simple to apply with normal washing that it's perfectly acceptable to us. The key being to have a couple of the mops and extra heads.
    Is this what you use? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00YQBN7...GSQ5XA3VMKADVP

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast