User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding Lifepo4 battery and leaving lead acid battery installed

Hi all, I am planning to add a Lifepo4 battery to our 22MLE. I am not adding solar as we do too much camping in shaded spots. I also don’t want to change the electrical panel at this time.

This is what’s different than what most people do. I plan to leave the Lead acid battery on the tongue and the LA battery wiring will remain the same.

The Lifepo4 battery will be installed under the bench and have a dedicated disconnect switch, and fuse. It will also have it’s own ground to the frame. It will be tied into the main DC line going into the control panel. I have a dedicated charger so it can be charged from AC independently while disconnected from the system.

The plan; When dry camping, use the LAB while driving and once at the campsite, disconnect the LAB and connect the Lifepo4 battery.

I was wondering if anyone else done this?
    2021 GD Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7Hemi Crew Cab

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjunkie View Post
    Hi all, I am planning to add a Lifepo4 battery to our 22MLE. I am not adding solar as we do too much camping in shaded spots. I also don’t want to change the electrical panel at this time.

This is what’s different than what most people do. I plan to leave the Lead acid battery on the tongue and the LA battery wiring will remain the same.

The Lifepo4 battery will be installed under the bench and have a dedicated disconnect switch, and fuse. It will also have it’s own ground to the frame. It will be tied into the main DC line going into the control panel. I have a dedicated charger so it can be charged from AC independently while disconnected from the system.

The plan; When dry camping, use the LAB while driving and once at the campsite, disconnect the LAB and connect the Lifepo4 battery.

As long as you don't try to use the two together, you should be fine. Just sounds like a PITA to keep swapping between the batteries.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done just that. I did it to keep and charge the trolling motor battery in the tongue box.
    The lead acid battery is used for travel also for the brake disconnect and stuff.
    I installed a marine 1-2-Off switch. When travelling 1 (LA), camping 2(Lithium).
    The OEM converter charges the LA, not so much the lithium.
    I have a separate plug-in lithium charger for shore power or generator use.
    2021 Momentum 25G - 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas - 2009 Honda VTX 1300T
    Jack of all trades and master of one :)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjunkie View Post

Not sure of the reason to use both. But you'll probably want to make sure the LA battery and its charger is disconnected prior to turning on the independent charger and connecting that Lifepo4 battery to the rig.

Still questioning the expense and logic tho. I don't get the part about wanting to :...change the electrical panel..." as I am not sure what part that plays either. I would have thought it was a simple matter of dropping in the Lifepo4 battery and replacing the charger (assuming the current charger does not support the Lifepo4).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, swapping will be a small PITA but it won't be happening that often.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds pretty much what I have planned. I'm going to put a 110v port near the Lifepo4 for the charger.
    Thanks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Not sure of the reason to use both. But you'll probably want to make sure the LA battery and its charger is disconnected prior to turning on the independent charger and connecting that Lifepo4 battery to the rig.

Still questioning the expense and logic tho. I don't get the part about wanting to :...change the electrical panel..." as I am not sure what part that plays either. I would have thought it was a simple matter of dropping in the Lifepo4 battery and replacing the charger (assuming the current charger does not support the Lifepo4).

I have a dedicated charger so it can be charged from AC independently while disconnected from the system.

The expense is minimal and a not everyone will understand the logic. My panel is a WF-8735P with a built in charger that will not fully charge a Lifepo4 battery.
    Last edited by Gearjunkie; 02-24-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah - got it - thanks. I didn't know about the way the charger was built in.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I didn't mention the built in charger in my post. I was trying to keep the post short.
    I may change the panel down the road but for now this setup works best for me and won't cost much. It's also a fairly easy install.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see your thinking but find that it would be to much a PITA for the little gain. Your current converter/charger would charge your lithium to roughly 80%. If that's not enough then you could disconnect it while plugged on shore power and use your lithium charger to top it. I'm just about to order my lithium cells for my DIY battery and plan on replacing the LA with it. This first season will be a direct swap and remain (locked) on ghe tongue. I also have a portable lithium charger that I could carry with us in case we need to top it up. The following season I will relocate inside and add the Victron Multiplus II.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast