User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dealership Additional Warranties???

Just got a new 2021 Solitude 375RES-R. Our dealer gave us the whole speech about additional warranties that we "need" to cover all of the things that could go wrong after the Grand Design warranty is over and that our insurance policy will not cover.

Is it something we should keep? We can cancel at any time and I am just wondering if others added something similar or passed. For those who did add it, have you used it?
    Jeffrey Taege

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaege View Post
    Just got a new 2021 Solitude 375RES-R. Our dealer gave us the whole speech about additional warranties that we "need" to cover all of the things that could go wrong after the Grand Design warranty is over and that our insurance policy will not cover.

Is it something we should keep? We can cancel at any time and I am just wondering if others added something similar or passed. For those who did add it, have you used it?
    Several of us here say "don't do it". We did buy the extended warranties when we bought our rig (sorry, we had never owned a trailer before and it was a bit scary). We cancelled all the extended warranties about 8 months into ownership. We never used any of them.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m the guy when buying a car at a dealership the finance guy hears only “no thanks”. Only if they offered a killer extended manufacturer, not dealer, warranty on my diesel truck I would consider that.

Video below is worth watching.
    https://youtu.be/wyQlfwi2hX4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaege View Post

You're unlikely to recover all of the money lost through purchasing an extended warranty; even if some minor repairs are required in the future.

In addition, you'll have to rely on the warranty company involved to actually come through for you in the time of trouble and in a timely manner as well. Thats two strikes against a warranty being purchased up front.

Paying out of pocket later, if necessary, will most likely save you money rather than buying the extended warranty now and you'll have the freedom of not having to rely on the warranty company to keep their promises.

Some repairs are simply cheaper, quicker and easier to do yourself, again bypassing warranty.

It's a "no thanks" for me.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An extended warranty is an insurance policy (as are original warranties, for that matter). On average you are likely to spend more on the premium than you will use from the coverage, but you may consider that an acceptable loss to hedge the risk of a much more expensive event that only happens rarely. Insurance exists for a reason.

That said, I probably wouldn't choose to pay extra for a warranty. I'd spend the money on decent roadside assistance instead. My dealer includes a 'lifetime warranty' on every rig they sell, wrapped into the price, but I didn't consider that at all when I was shopping, so I don't feel like I paid anything for it. They were the best price I could find within 500 miles.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that there are Manufacturer Extended Warranties vs Dealer Extended Warranty. Very different.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To state what @rootusrootus said slightly differently.. my wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely like to approach them as insurance policies, since it avoids the automatic stigma that goes with 'extended warranty' and allows for a more reasoned appraisal of their value (or lack thereof). I've bought them before, and rarely used them, but depending on how comfortable I am with the build quality of the vehicle I'm buying it may be worth paying for the peace of mind. Years ago we decided to get a minivan, and we loved the features of the Dodge Caravan, but we were leery of the reliability. It was something like 5 grand cheaper than a Honda or Toyota, so we just spent a bit of the savings on an extended warranty from CarMax and then enjoyed those great stow-and-go seats .

On a related note, I think it's also useful to view original factory warranties as insurance policies, too, but with the premium as part of the purchase price. IMO it makes it a little more sensible when considering the motivations behind how the manufacturer builds things. I have to imagine they have a similar/equivalent way of quantifying the warranty costs.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    You're unlikely to recover all of the money lost through purchasing an extended warranty; even if some minor repairs are required in the future.

In addition, you'll have to rely on the warranty company involved to actually come through for you in the time of trouble and in a timely manner as well. Thats two strikes against a warranty being purchased up front.

Paying out of pocket later, if necessary, will most likely save you money rather than buying the extended warranty now and you'll have the freedom of not having to rely on the warranty company to keep their promises.

Some repairs are simply cheaper, quicker and easier to do yourself, again bypassing warranty.

It's a "no thanks" for me.
    So how much does a Refrigerator cost if you need a new one? More then an extended warranty? Seems like everything breaks down on this forum, heaters slides, hot water tanks, awnings etc. Just one of those item will cover the cost of the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    So how much does a Refrigerator cost if you need a new one? More then an extended warranty? Seems like everything breaks down on this forum, heaters slides, hot water tanks, awnings etc. Just one of those item will cover the cost of the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily. We purchased an extended service plan with our Reflection in 2015. If I recall, the plan cost about $2,000. When the cooling unit went out on the Norcold fridge (out of warranty), the total cost was about $1,200. We paid the $100 deductible and Route 66 paid the tech $1,100. That was the only out of warranty repair on the RV in the 4-1/2 years we were full-time in it. So... we paid $800 more for the policy than we recouped.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast