User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start with the slides or where you have moving parts possible pinch wire. Perhaps retracted your slide tomorrow and see if you have any changes in your short. You definitely have 12 v power wire grounding out. God luck hope all works out wiring issues can be trying at time.
    Retired Transportation ,
    2015 GMC 2500HD. (6.0L.) Crew Cab. S.R.W.
    2021 reflection 320 MKS. With some mod.s
    2nd. Rv. And lovin it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtintx View Post
    2020 Solitude 3740BH
    5th 15amp fuse from the left in the panel popped this afternoon - replacements pop immediately; including 20a and 25a. 30a fuse doesn't pop, but gets hot quickly. This fuse is for the 12v lights in the passthrough storage, master BR lights, Master BR AC on/off switch, front bathroom lights and BunkHouse Slideout lights. I am assuming there is a new short somewhere. Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with the same?
    I've not experienced this specific issue before but when troubleshooting a fuse issue in the front bay I read on one forum to double check the wiring harness under the master bed. Sometimes that fastened tightly and after a while, slide movement may cause wires in the bundle to pull and short. You can prop the bed up and then crawl back all the way near the side wall where the bundle is fastened in. Just a thought and hope you are able to track in down.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to get an incandescent brake / tail light bulb and socket, then attach spade connecters the same size as the fuse blades and insert these in place of the fuse.

The bulb will limit the current to protect the wires and give you a visual indication when the short is removed. Leave all items on the circuit turned off while doing this.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    I've not experienced this specific issue before but when troubleshooting a fuse issue in the front bay I read on one forum to double check the wiring harness under the master bed. Sometimes that fastened tightly and after a while, slide movement may cause wires in the bundle to pull and short. You can prop the bed up and then crawl back all the way near the side wall where the bundle is fastened in. Just a thought and hope you are able to track in down.
    I checked the wires under the master bed and no obvious shorts. I did a continuity test on the main run and it faulted. I believe the issue is in the wire that runs from the front slide out to the bunk slide out.
    Full-time as of March 1, 2020
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes
    Onan Generator, TheDryCampers Installed Solar, Slide-Out Awnings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    You may want to get an incandescent brake / tail light bulb and socket, then attach spade connecters the same size as the fuse blades and insert these in place of the fuse.

The bulb will limit the current to protect the wires and give you a visual indication when the short is removed. Leave all items on the circuit turned off while doing this.
    This is a WONDERFUL SUGESTION! I've seen this done before. Over on YouTube "RV Project" even has a few devices he designed just for troubleshooting shorts. I build both but haven't been able to try them out (I guess that's good news).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the wires under the master bed and no obvious shorts. I did a continuity test on the main run and it faulted. I believe the issue is in the wire that runs from the front slide out to the bunk slide out.

The last time I had to troubleshoot a short (it was on a good friend's rig) I ended up cutting one or two wires under a slide out to determine whether the short was before or after the wiring that went into the slide. It ended up being the short was the slide out wall.

Since there was a dedicated ground wire and a dedicated hot wire going to the lights I just swapped them at both ends. My logic was that since the hot was already grounded I could just use it for the ground and since the ground was an independent, dedicated wire to the light fixture I could just swap the hot and ground under the slideouit and at the lamp.
    Larry KE4DMG

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    The last time I had to troubleshoot a short (it was on a good friend's rig) I ended up cutting one or two wires under a slide out to determine whether the short was before or after the wiring that went into the slide. It ended up being the short was the slide out wall.

Since there was a dedicated ground wire and a dedicated hot wire going to the lights I just swapped them at both ends. My logic was that since the hot was already grounded I could just use it for the ground and since the ground was an independent, dedicated wire to the light fixture I could just swap the hot and ground under the slideouit and at the lamp.
    That is a great idea. I believe I have isolated the issue to the wiring that runs from the front slide to the bunk-house slide.
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably best to start at one end of the other. For example, if the bunk-side is furthest away try to isolate that wire under the slide and if you are going to cut anything, cut it there first. If still shorted work your way toward the other slide and then back to the power source.

The one time I did what I explained above the wire was shorted inside a slide out in a wall that there was no way to get into. We did find the wire ran along a channel starred with window screws so we suspected that was where the issue was. But we weren't going to remove a window just to find out.

Hoping the best for you.
    Larry KE4DMG

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Outdoor Kitchen Sink Pump is the root of the short. I was running the water in the outdoor kitchen and the pump was not running to move the water to the grey tank. I opened it up and the pump was submerged and not running. I disconnected the wires and did a continuity check - fail. I disconnected the pump and put a new fuse in the panel. Power restored. Next up: Replace the water pump in the outdoor kitchen.
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 Solitude 3740BH
    5th 15amp fuse from the left in the panel popped this afternoon - replacements pop immediately; including 20a and 25a. 30a fuse doesn't pop, but gets hot quickly. This fuse is for the 12v lights in the passthrough storage, master BR lights, Master BR AC on/off switch, front bathroom lights and BunkHouse Slideout lights. I am assuming there is a new short somewhere. Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with the same?
    We experienced a similar incident on our 315RLTS, it was a bad circuit board on the Maxair vent fan in the kitchen area. It took awhile to figure that one out, had to isolate the items that utilized that 12 volt circuit. Unfortunately we have had the circuit board go out twice, most recently this last fall. Checked for proper voltage thinking maybe a under or over current condition but everything checks out good.

Maxair is good company to deal with, provided parts as needed under warranty and received them in a timely manner.

Unfortunately last time I checked with Grand Design they do not offer wiring schematics on their products…sure would make diagnosis easier.

Happy travels, Saldog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast