User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we started to look at trailers in 2016, I had a F150 so was thinking a bumper pull in the 25' range max. Of course as we looked, the trailers the DW liked got longer. Called up my Ford guy and they had one F250 on the lot. As the looking continued and the trailers were getting north of 30', I said enough and said if we are going to get a longer trailer, then it has to be a 5th wheel for a better towing experience and I'm getting a diesel dually. I personally can't imagine (no pun intended) pulling a 36' bumper pull across country and enjoying it!
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    F-350? When are you buying your Solitude? :-)
    I actually also own a 380fl. Best of both worlds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2670 MK
    2020 Solitude 380FL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a 2910BH in Nov last fall. We have a Ford 150 STX with the 3.5 and extended bed. Payload is 1851 and ended up buying a Propride hitch. Would I get a F-150 if I was doing it all over again? No, I'd opt for a 250, but we are a small family, travel lightly, and while not ideal it works for us. That does NOT mean it will work for you or anyone else would feel comfortable driving this setup. I feel like I'm in control of the vehicle but we are largely driving in the midwest where the traffic is not super congested and stick to around 60mph. "Control" is also subjective and while I always feel in control of the truck\trailer I will say it's not a smooth ride when the wind is gusting. We are within our numbers though we are on the upper side and realize that's going to wear out the truck a lot quicker.

In the end I'd say there are so many variables, many of which are very unique to each family it can be hard to say whether or not a certain tow vehicle will work well with a given TT. If you haven't towed anything before and plan to make long trips I'd suggest over sizing your tow vehicle as much as financially realistic for your situation.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have almost the same truck, but 8cyc gas engine. I am under all my limits and I carry a lot on my 6.5 truck bed. I’m not close to my trailer max weight. While I can pull 9K, I’m pulling less than 7k with no problem. I do not travel with much in any of my holding tanks. Enough fresh water for a shower or two and to flush with.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you pull it and be within all your towing and weight capacities? Yes, absolutely. Will it be comfortable to tow? Maybe... really that depends completely on you and your level of experience. That is a lot of length behind that truck and will place you fairly close to your weight capacities, both towing and payload. I have been towing travel trailers and 5th wheels for close to 20 years. I started with a Ford Expedition then upgraded to a Ram 2500 with the old 8L V10. 3 years ago I upgraded again to a Ram 2500 w/6.7L CTD and there’s no comparison; however, before retiring earlier this year I drove a 2018 F150 3.5/max tow for work every day and it was a very capable vehicle. I have a friend who has towed his TT (similar size to what you’re considering) with one for many years and swears by it. As many have already stated, a 2500/3500 (F250/350) will be much more capable, will be a much more comfortable, enjoyable experience, and will allow you to move up into a larger trailer in the future if you choose to do so, but also understand that every forum in existence has members who will swear in blood that you cannot safely tow an 8’, 1000 lb. single axle pop up with anything less than a 1-ton diesel DRW 4x4 with max-tow and max-payload package, and then only downhill with a tailwind both directions. Be safe and enjoy your new RV!
    Last edited by jfspry58; 05-15-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with 1900 payload a 2800 will be fine. But you will need to spend some time getting your hitch setup dialed in...even with a propride/hensley. Don't do any cheap hitches, at least a e4 or comparable.

I do and it's fine.

With that said, the next time I go truck shopping I'll move back to a F250 gasser, with intentions of moving up in rv.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is not whether it can pull the trailer but do you really want to drive it? Constant gear shifting, high rev noise, struggling through even modest grades and a feeling of the the tail wagging the dog would be a bad way to go in my book. I pull our TT with practically the same specs as yours with a 2016 Chevy 2500 HD. It pulls like a dream. I don't like to be at the outer limits of the truck's specs.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 3.5L ecoboost with 3.73 axle pulls more than your projected gross up mountains with ease. A 5th wheel is one thing, but TTs have some additional stability issues. In your case I'd side with the other folks here regarding keeping trailer length down and a heavier truck.
    2020 Ford F150 XLT with HDPP, 3.5L TT V6, 6.5' bed, 3.73 axle, Curt A16 manual slider hitch.
    2021 GD Reflections 150 series 295RL 33' 5th
    Long ago: Carriage Lite 35' 5th, towed by Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no simple answer here. One of the least considered factors in towing with an F150 or other 1500 series is the WDH setup. I’ve towed a 35’ TT weighing 8500 with 1K tongue weight through the Eastern mountains for five years with no issues, but the hitch is a Blue OX SwayPro. Is it perfect? No. Is it a white knuckle drive? Absolutely not. Would I prefer a larger truck? Yes, but it would not be practice for owe needs. Bottom line is my setup works for me. I have never had a sway issue, stopping issue or grade climb/decent issue. In fact the truck performs very well on the 6% grade that surround us in eastern Tennessee where we live. We just took out our new Imagine 3100RD for the first time and the setup towed nicely. My advice is to get the biggest truck that suits your needs, but I’m very satisfied with my F150. The fourth one I’ve owned and towed trailer 24’, 27’, 34’ and now 36’. None had sway issues with the Blue OX setup.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much towing experience do you have?

The truck can do the smaller trailers you listed, technically. I question the original trailer listed - watch the hitch rating on your truck too - 1320lbs. Some people, as they have said, can and do pull those trailers. Some people, also who have shared, would not be comfortable. Hence the towing experience question.

I look at it like this: I pull 7500lbs of open car trailer (with car) behind my truck. I also regularly pull the little 22’, 5000lb camper in my signature. The camper is tougher to pull, worse on gas, and more influenced by weather (wind) than the heavier car trailer. The fact that you are pulling a literal house shaped object matters, even if it doesn’t weigh a lot (relative to its size). Tough to say what you would be comfortable with.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast