User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator fueling

Hopefully I don't embarrass my self. On large momentums where you are mostly confined to truck stop fueling. How do you fuel your generator? By red 5 gallon can? If so, how many do most momentum users carry?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fair percentage of truck stops have "rv" stations that typically have both diesel and gasoline.

If you can make it to/through the normal pumps at Pilot, Loves etc you have both
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying J has an RV lane which has gas. Near us, Maverik stations have truck/RV lanes with gas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator fueling

Quote Originally Posted by 210craig View Post
    Hopefully I don't embarrass my self. On large momentums where you are mostly confined to truck stop fueling. How do you fuel your generator? By red 5 gallon can? If so, how many do most momentum users carry?
    I usually find a convenient gas station to refuel the genset and refueling system (I have a 30 gal tank for each). I always keep my gen tank full, and carry about half a tank in the refuel cell. I pump from it to top off the genny tank if needed.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make special trips to fuel my gas tanks. After dealing with several problems with ethanol laced fuel, I only put pure gas in my RV.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

In general engines with carburetors (most generators, most dirt bikes, ATVs, SxS, lawn mowers, chainsaws, vintage Mustangs ) don't much like ethanol fuel. Plus it's less stable & hygroscopic and can create some really gross deposits if enough water gets in.

My new 349M came with tanks filled from the dealership, which I appreciate, but over this winter I'm pumping all of that out and putting it in my wife's Volvo. She thinks I'm being nice, but I'm just trying to keep from having to pay to have it disposed of.
    signature

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jjbbrewer makes a very excellent point, totally agree!

I have both of my 30 gallon tanks with ethanol-free fuel now as well. I think they call it Blue Fuel in Utah, and maybe some other areas. If you're not traveling to Kalifornia, you will find it fairly plentiful and much cheaper that in California or even Oregon with their high gas and sales taxes, and horrible roads, lol

I had been using the RV pumps at truck stops like others and putting Sta-Bel fuel preservative in my tanks. Then storing my rig(s) for 3-4 months... the result was not good. Even with Sta-Bel (which I'm not even sure actually does anything) the fuel was still dark brown and I ended up getting rid of what I had left. Sta-bel also requires an occasional mixing of the fuel which is hard to do when your rig sits for a few months.

Definitely recommend the ethanol-free fuel.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple more thoughts here ..

My previous toy hauler has/had one 30 gallon tank. I usually would burn through 4-5 tanks full per RV season (~7 months here in CO) between racing, dirt riding, and running the generator. My favorite wintertime fuel preservative is Seafoam. At the end of the season, I'll dump some in the tank and run the generator until I'm pretty sure the mixture has made it into the carb.

Since doing that, I haven't had any springtime generator start up problems or yucky fuel coming out of the tank.

Of course, YMMV.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 02-18-2021 at 10:55 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve actually had decent luck filling the tanks on my 381M at your typical gas stations. You just have to look for the ones with easy entries and exits and pumps facing the right direction to where you can pull through. I’ve even used google maps to scout out potential gas stations, especially if I’m in a small town with no truck stops relatively close
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfer with 5 gal containers or take advantage of RV lane truck and travel stops.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good luck getting into Wawa, Race Track, Gas Town & smaller stations. Local Valero has a non ethanol pump on the side that's easy to get to.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast