User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheel lug nuts torque. Is it really necessary to check lug nut torque before every trip. I understand need if you change a tire, or get new tires. The owners manual list correct torque sequence and way to do it. And they make a big deal about checking all the time. On my 2019 imagine xls 22rbe with 14 " wheels it is even on a lable on the outside where all weight information is. I don't have a torque wrench and I'm not sure of socket size if I were to buy one. Suggestions appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capkelly View Post
    Wheel lug nuts torque. Is it really necessary to check lug nut torque before every trip. I understand need if you change a tire, or get new tires. The owners manual list correct torque sequence and way to do it. And they make a big deal about checking all the time. On my 2019 imagine xls 22rbe with 14 " wheels it is even on a lable on the outside where all weight information is. I don't have a torque wrench and I'm not sure of socket size if I were to buy one. Suggestions appreciated.
    I’ve never checked mine or any of the 15 cars I’ve driven over my lifetime. Shlt happens to some people, it’s the randomness of life, but not all of it happens to everyone.
    I’ve had one flat tire in the past 36 years.
    /shrug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I check mine about every 1000- 1500 miles miles (which for me means after every trip to CO). Occasionally one will be slightly loose. I carry impact sockets that fit all of the lug nut sizes for all of my trailers and trucks. I also carry a Dewalt 1/2" impact with a battery and charger. If I am home I will get out the high dollar digital Snap On torque wrench that my nephew gave me for Christmas a few years ago. If on the road I will just hit each lug nut a few knocks with the impact. I also have several cheaper torque wrenches, one from HF and one from Autozone (the clicker type) both seem very accurate for the price. If you do much mechanic work or plan on it then I would look into a digital one. HF has a copy of the Snap On for $200. If that's too steep for you then can get them for about $20 on up to over $100 for a clicker type.

I honestly hate the clicker type and therefore would hardly ever use it Now that I have the Snap On I seem to pull it out often to use.

Unlike Dave Mathews I have had three flats on CO trips. Two on trucks and one on a trailer. I wouldn't trade my Dewalt impact for anything. With that and a 12 ton hydraulic jack I can change a flat in no time.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for you good advice, johndeerfarmer. I love Colorado also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my first 5th Wheel, I did not check them regularly. Although I did not lose a tire on a cross country trip, I ended up having to replace a couple of the tire bolts. I was told it was because some of them were loose and ended up stripping. I now check my lug nuts just about every time I move the rig with a torque wrench. I do occasional find one or two take an extra turn on the wrench indicating it has loosen slightly. I would recommend a regular check along with tire pressure before hitting the road. I use the TST 507 TPMS to monitor while traveling.
    USMC (Retired); Full Time (07/2012)
    2018 Solitude 377 MBS-R
    Morryde ID Susp, 8K Axles, Disk Brakes, Solar System
    2011 Chevy 3500 DRW, B&W Companion Hitch, Titan 60 Gallon Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks little dog. That's what I needed to know. I will be getting a torque wrench and checking lug nuts before each trip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this long ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torque.jpg  
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that post . I saw this in owners manual, but good to review. Good people take the time and effort to assist other GD owners.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that post . I saw this in owners manual, but good to review. Good people take the time and effort to assist other GD owners.
    As has been said, some owners check them all the time, some every once in a while. Its not a bad thing to check the lug nut torque frequently, doesn't take a lot of time. My routine just before towing is to turn on the TST tire minder and let it update while I am checking the lug nuts. By the time I get that done the TST display is updated with tire pressures and temp. If they all look good I'm ready to go.
    On both our Imagine and now our Solitude I checked the torque before each tow. Never found any of them to be loose. Maybe a click of the wrench. I use a better HF torque wrench, its good enough for the tire lug nuts. Then I went to checking them every once in a while, still the same, never found one loose. Then I installed the centramatic balancing plates on the Solitude and went back to checking the lug nut torque before each tow. Still haven't found any loose.

You'll find your groove as to what you will do before each tow.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best lessons are those that come from experience. This happened to me yesterday. Thank you to the gentleman that pulled along side of me and told me I had a problem. I will check mine prior to each trip. Found the wheel and tire about 5 miles up the road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	32185
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250 Platinum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast