User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design Customer Service Vent/Rant

I've tried to edit this to make it short as possible, but brevity does not seem to be one of my strengths. (see, I could've used the contraction, doesn't, but I did not/didn't)

Last week, dropped off our 378MBS at the selling dealer for a slide box that appears to be out of square. There is no clearance between the slide box wall and side wall at the upper left and lower right corners, but 2.5" of clearance at the lower left and upper right of the slide box. I measured the diagonals of the inside of the box and there is a 1.5" difference. I've posted about this elsewhere on the forum.

We purchased the 378 from a dealer in NC. A more-local dealer in VA has been servicing our rig since our purchase (they also serviced our previous Reflection) and this dealer has performed several slide "adjustments" on this slide starting 3 months after we took delivery (Sep '21). The local dealer submitted the most current slide issue as a warranty claim to GD in September of this year. Our 1-year warranty expired at the end of June, 2022, but the dealer thought this might be covered under the structural warranty, or since it appears to be an ongoing issue from 2021, it might be covered under the 1-year comprehensive warranty. GD denied the claim stating slide adjustments after the first 180 days are the customer's responsibility.

I called GD in Sep 2022 and spoke with a person whose name starts with an 'S'. (Not sure if it is appropriate to name this person, so just using first initial for now.) I asked what was submitted by the dealer and the rep told me that was privileged information and he/she could not share that with me. However, he/she did tell me that there were no photos or measurements of the slide box or description of the problem (nothing about how the slide seals had torn again in the exact same location due to rubbing of the slide box wall against the slide opening). There was nothing but a warranty claim for "slide adjustment". I then contacted the local dealer's service writer, warranty manager, parts manager, service manager, and even the controller to understand what was actually submitted to GD so I could go back to GD and further support my claim. The only response I got from the local dealer was an email from the service writer stating, "You will have to fight with Grand Design". That's it. All additional attempts to contact the local dealer via emails, texts, phone calls were completely ignored. I was ghosted. I have no idea why as we have always had a good relationship with this dealership. In fact, I consider the service manager a friend and we use to talk often on the phone or via texts regarding things unrelated to RVs. (This dealer was acquired in August by a larger dealer out of Vermont, so perhaps something came down from corporate regarding not servicing rigs if purchased elsewhere.) A few days later, still in Sep 2022, I contacted GD again, and by luck, 'S' answered the call. He/She was somewhat rude from the onset, but nothing I couldn't handle. After a few minutes, he/she suggested my only option was to take the rig to the selling dealer in NC. So I did.

I could not get an appointment at the selling dealer (4 hrs away) until Dec 2. I dropped off last week. Due to illness sweeping through the service department, they could not look at the rig on the day of drop off as planned and that it would be at least 3 weeks before they could diagnose (basically take all new measurements and photos). I didn't have much choice, so I left the rig. Before I left, the service manager asked me to contact GD directly for a new case number. After calling every morning at 8am for 4 days, I finally got through today. Guess who answered the phone? Yep, 'S'. Once I gave 'S' the VIN and my name, 'S's' attitude immediately became combative. I politely explained why I was calling. 'S' became even more belligerent, raised his/her voice, lectured me, interrupted me numerous times, and was incredibly condescending. All the while, I remained calm and polite trying to get GD to help us formulate a plan and resolve an issue that prevents us from using our rig. He/She even lectured me about how there is "no possible way a GD-constructed slide box could be out of square like a Jayco or a Forest River" and "there is no way this will be covered under warranty". 'S' then proceeded to read me the list of 70+ warranty claim items submitted for our rig, stating at the end, "not once has there ever been a submission about the slide box being out of square!". This mostly one-sided "conversation" lasted for ~15 minutes with only an escalation in 'S's poor attitude and tone. At one point, I even asked why 'S' was so angry, but I got no response as 'S' couldn't even hear the question due to talking over me.

This was easily the worst customer service experience I have ever had, and that is saying something given my experiences over many years. Although I remained calm and stood firm, when I hung up, I was livid. I was also angry with myself for not recording that conversation. It was simply unbelievable and completely unacceptable. I know GD doesn't monitor this forum. I just wanted to share my very atypical experience with Grand Design. I spoken to GD customer service several times in 2019, 2020 and 2021. All reps were always polite and tended to bend over backwards to provide support/help/advice/parts. Something changed in 2022. The 3 other customer service reps I have spoken with in 2022 were not very helpful. In fact, I'd say most were on the side of unhelpful and seemed as though they couldn't care less, but at least they were never rude. 'S' brought it to an all new level. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told, "I am the supervisor".

The selling dealer thinks there is a 50/50 chance we will need to take our rig back to the factory for repairs. After this experience, I'm happy to dump the rig in GD's parking lot with a To: 'S' tag on it.

/rant-off
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 12-08-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is BS. Sorry that your rig is down and out for awhile. Unacceptable
    I know if I ever get a different trailer it won’t be a GD. I will gladly go back to Jayco where I came from. Much better company on many levels
    My latest communications with GD has been similar
    They simply couldn’t care less
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is unfortunate. We purchased our GD back in late 2016 and support was always stellar.
    When Winnebago bought them, we all wondered if things would change. I guess maybe they have?

Good luck, I hope you get this resolved.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Something changed in 2022.

I called GD in Sep 2022 and spoke with a person whose name starts with an 'S'.
    Absolutely true. Wonder if you got the same 'S' as I did who was also combative and told me not to call GD customer service again. Light year difference in customer service and 'S's' attitude between May of this year and Aug of this year. Lippert and Jaboni both told me they would prefer to deal directly with the customer and not have to deal with GD at all. My dealer is extremely frustrated with lack of response and their negative experiences just trying to get valid warranty work approved.

Dealer has sent documents and pictures to GD to begin approximately 15 warranty items - they have not heard back.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fsalmy I sent you a private message.
    I had dealings with an "S" person also.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Absolutely true. Wonder if you got the same 'S' as I did who was also combative and told me not to call GD customer service again. Light year difference in customer service and 'S's' attitude between May of this year and Aug of this year.

EDIT: Apologies - Looked at my email trail and we were dealing with a 'J'. The original 'S' we worked with was in parts and extremely supportive. A bit disconcerting that multiple CS reps are responding to customers this way. That implies is a corporate culture problem and so much for their customer service pitch.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, Grand Design, like so many other companies in all aspects of the world today has had a number of good employees leave, get poached for a "new" company, etc.

They have been replaced with people that have been brainwashed by the "other" manufacturers to refuse any and all help to dealers or customers until the claims are escalated.

We are feeling it on our end as well, so it isn't just "owner relations" that are strained right now.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    EDIT: Apologies - Looked at my email trail and we were dealing with a 'J'. The original 'S' we worked with was in parts and extremely supportive. A bit disconcerting that multiple CS reps are responding to customers this way. That implies is a corporate culture problem and so much for their customer service pitch.
    I also looked through my emails and records. I see I have spoken to 4 different customer service since of June of this year. I've spoken to 'S' on 3 different occasions, starting in Sept and including today. The 3 other CS reps gave me the impression that they did not appreciate my call, I was taking time out of their busy day, and that it would probably be best if I never called again. I suspect 'S' saw my number pop up on caller ID and said to his/her colleagues, "here, hold my beer".
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Unfortunately, Grand Design, like so many other companies in all aspects of the world today has had a number of good employees leave, get poached for a "new" company, etc.

They have been replaced with people that have been brainwashed by the "other" manufacturers to refuse any and all help to dealers or customers until the claims are escalated.

We are feeling it on our end as well, so it isn't just "owner relations" that are strained right now.
    Sorry to hear its affecting dealers, too, Steve. I have heard of increasing complaints from the dealers, but it seems to be getting contentious in some cases. During the crop off, the service manager told me they just recently had to go back and forth with GD for nearly 6 months on a warranty issue involving the frame and side wall for another customer. It wasn't until the customer hired an attorney did Grand Design send a technician to the dealership to advise/manage the repair. We are not at that point yet, but I fear it may be coming.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

The dealer near us is of the same opinion. I hope management at GD is at least getting a news flash that something is amiss.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast