User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Grand Design called me earlier this week. I was told that Lippert and is wrong about 5” being too short and that they (Lippert) only want 7” if the jacks are installed aftermarket. GD claims that they are working to correct the misinformation that Lippert is giving people. I explained that it still is an issue for me as they are so low that I literally have to put legos out to cross a speed bump. The person said “a lot of people do that”. I told them that I was not comfortable with literally stopping traffic to block my way over a double speed bump. I was then told that they would send me the shorter stabilizers but that I will get out of stroke errors and that they would not help me when this happened. I told them that I am good with that and the person said my account was going to be notated. Hopefully they come soon and I can put this behind me. I’m not going to get out of stroke errors if I put blocks under the feet. I just don’t want to scrape everything. They are sooo close to scraping my driveway that I have to back from the passenger side. If I back from the drivers side they will touch. I’ll post when they are delivered.
    Last edited by ardvark16; 05-15-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    Ok. Grand Design called me earlier this week. I was told that Lippert and is wrong about 5” being too short and that they (Lippert) only want 7” if the jacks are installed aftermarket. GD claims that they are working to correct the misinformation that Lippert is giving people. I explained that it still is an issue for me as they are so low that I literally have to put legos out to cross a speed bump. The person said “a lot of people do that”. I told them that I was not comfortable with literally stopping traffic to block my way over a double speed bump. I was then told that they would send me the shorter stabilizers but that I will get out of stroke errors and that they would not help me when this happened. I told them that I am good with that and the person said my account was going to be notated. Hopefully they come soon and I can put this behind me. I’m not going to get out of stroke errors if I put blocks under the feet. I just don’t want to scrape everything. They are sooo close to scraping my driveway that I have to back from the passenger side. If I back from the drivers side they will touch. I’ll post when they are delivered.
    Yeah, this is why I posted a page or so back because it seems there is some randomness to what different owners are experiencing. Zero consolation whatsoever, but sitting campside this morning watching the campground fill up I noticed new 5ers of many brands that definitely did not have 7" of clearance on the rear jacks when mounted in that 1 to 2-foot distance off the rear spring mount... So, this is definitely interesting. I clearly see the concern with a peaked speed bump - though by regulatory means they're not supposed to be this way as there are prescript height-to-travel length standards. Otherwise, you'll flounder a enormous variety of passenger cars.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just picked up our 2021 Reflection 5th wheel 260RD and I think the wrong jacks are on the rear. I did not measure the jack, but we measured and the jack, fully retracted was only 4" from the ground. The RV is level when hooked to my truck. I will go out to the storage lot and measure the entire jack. I was going to order and install Snappads on all the jacks, but that would have added an inch to the length.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    There is where I would have gone off. No customer service phone person is going to either validate or invalidate my warranty. That's not in their wheelhouse. He, a senior officer in the company, my self, and probably a consumer protection attorney would have had an interesting conference call.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, never knew it to be an issue, although I had thought mine were really low.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So they sent me 2 new shorter jacks and it now has 8” of clearance when fully retracted. I blocked them with doubled up pieces of 2x10 since they are a bit shorter than before. No stroke errors at all. They have plenty of stroke left in them and honestly I’m really not sure why the rv comes with the longer legs. These are much better and will not scrape when I back into an uphill driveway or over a speed bump. Grand Design came through.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shorter ones also gave me close to 8". I carry a bunch of Linx blocks so I put however many I thin it needs, usually 4-5. I don't get any overextended errors either.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long jacks

Went to the storage and measured jacks, they were 3 1/2" from the ground. If I were to put SnapPads on, they would be about 2 1/2 " from the ground. I talked to a very nice lady and she suggested I use the string method, under the rear tire and then stretch it to the lowest point of the back end. If the jack pads are BELOW the string, I need new jacks.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oriderusa View Post
    Went to the storage and measured jacks, they were 3 1/2" from the ground. If I were to put SnapPads on, they would be about 2 1/2 " from the ground. I talked to a very nice lady and she suggested I use the string method, under the rear tire and then stretch it to the lowest point of the back end. If the jack pads are BELOW the string, I need new jacks.
    There are two parameters. Everything has to be above the string AND there needs to be 7" minimum ground clearance, as per Lippert. There has been countless posts on this forum pertaining to this. The first one is met because of where Lippert welded the supports. GD has sent the shorter jacks to several members here.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design seems to now be telling people that Lippert is wrong about their own product. A rep from GD told me that the 7” only applies to aftermarket installs of the 3.0 system (seems untrue). They also said that they ship with the longer jacks to avoid stroke errors. But both models of jacks have 12” of stroke so really people can just block them up to avoid issues. I got the sense on the phone that they are not going to keep sending them to people who complain but who knows. They did it for me which makes me a happy customer. There is a reason we bought a GD and not a different brand of rv. They have a reputation of being a very customer friendly company.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast