User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3100RD question on heat

We just purchased 2021 3100RD, took it out for the weekend to try it out (not our first travel trailer). Found that the difference in temperature between bedroom and living room is drastic. To make the living room comfortable, the bedroom is a sauna. To make the bedroom comfortable, the living room is Cold. I don't believe there's a heating vent in the living room area - one in the bedroom, one outside the bathroom, but the remaining half of the trailer has no heat vent? So then I thought maybe it's expected that the heat from the fireplace is supposed to warm up the living room, but there's no blower on the fireplace? Am I missing something? Or, can an additional heat vent be added in the rear half of the trailer?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read a lot of people blocking the bedroom vent or part of it to keep the bedroom more comfortable. If it dips below freezing outside, it's the furnace that heats the underbelly so using the fireplace might prevent the furnace to heat that underbelly. Just something to keep in mind. I don't have the same model as you so hopefully others will chime in.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small fix

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph noce View Post
    We just purchased 2021 3100RD, took it out for the weekend to try it out (not our first travel trailer). Found that the difference in temperature between bedroom and living room is drastic. To make the living room comfortable, the bedroom is a sauna. To make the bedroom comfortable, the living room is Cold. I don't believe there's a heating vent in the living room area - one in the bedroom, one outside the bathroom, but the remaining half of the trailer has no heat vent? So then I thought maybe it's expected that the heat from the fireplace is supposed to warm up the living room, but there's no blower on the fireplace? Am I missing something? Or, can an additional heat vent be added in the rear half of the trailer?
    I just bought the same trailer. Heating has been a big issue. I reached out to Grand Design and this is obviously a problem with this model. The temperature sensor is up inside the main air conditioning vent/grill. They are sending me a temperature sensor relocation kit ( for free ). In the meantime, while I wait for it, I removed the aircon grill cover (main one in kitchen), found the temp sensor and pulled it through so it sticks out of the cover. You should be able to find it easily - it was labeled on mine. Anyways, night and day difference. We can actually sleep through the night now without having to open all the windows in the bedroom to cool it down. the temperature seems consistent through the trailer now. The bathroom is still sauna zone when the heat comes on, but i can live with it. Still trying to figure out what the vent under the fireplace is... don't know if heat is supposed to come out of it or not... because it's not.

Mike

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Idaho it can get chilly at night during spring and fall. What I have done to make it comfortable for the misses and I is to set the 'fireplace' at 66degrees and the furnace at 65 or 66 degrees. The fireplace will stay on throughout the night, but will shut the heat off when it gets to 66 or 67. Also, the furnace will kick on usually only a couple of times when it gets down to about 65. With both running, we're able to sleep comfortably throughout the night while the outside temp is in the upper 30's and lower 40's. You may have to tinker with your settings to get it where you want through the night. Good Luck!
    2011 3500 Chevrolet LTZ SRW 4X4
    2020 GD Imagine 3100RD
    Slide toppers, Dimmer switches, surge guard
    MorRyde w/wet bolts, GY ST225/75R15 tires

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding a couple of open “questions” in this thread. I have a 2022 3100RD. There is a heat vent in the living area. It’s the three slits in the wood below the fireplace. Also, if the temperature sensors have NOT been relocated from inside the Furrion AC ceiling vents, the heat will not regulate comfortably. Since I moved the sensors for both AC units to locations near each wall thermostat, both the AC and heat regulate properly. I have heard the new units coming from GD now have this problem corrected.
    Last edited by Rabbit; 06-16-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Correct typo