User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have no doubt that there is a severe issue currently, I haven't seen anything that suggests that there is a long term issue. Its an inherent problem with just in time inventory, any disruption creates a oversized problem. The other brand I referred to also uses Yamaha engines

Does anyone have any information other than the obvious shortage issue? I doubt it will affect any potential long term product updates. Heck it may even accelerate them (wishful thinking).

As far as I know both Yamaha and Cummins are publicly traded companies an would have to disclose a major change in their businesses. I have zero information but if I was hazarding a guess, my money is on a shipping issue somewhere in the supply chain. Its a big problem and is affecting most all areas of the economy. I see it in appliances and even cabinet manufacturing (we remodel kitchens). Even on things you would think would be unrelated to overseas supply issues.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/ship...s-to-rise.html
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post

if I was hazarding a guess, my money is on a shipping issue somewhere in the supply chain.
    Or the chip shortage:

https://www.plantservices.com/indust...tion-shutdown/
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have no doubt that there is a severe issue currently, I haven't seen anything that suggests that there is a long term issue. Its an inherent problem with just in time inventory, any disruption creates a oversized problem. The other brand I referred to also uses Yamaha engines

Does anyone have any information other than the obvious shortage issue? I doubt it will affect any potential long term product updates. Heck it may even accelerate them (wishful thinking).

As far as I know both Yamaha and Cummins are publicly traded companies an would have to disclose a major change in their businesses. I have zero information but if I was hazarding a guess, my money is on a shipping issue somewhere in the supply chain. Its a big problem and is affecting most all areas of the economy. I see it in appliances and even cabinet manufacturing (we remodel kitchens). Even on things you would think would be unrelated to overseas supply issues.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/ship...s-to-rise.html
    First, to both companies the segment is miniscule, particularly for Yamaha whose diversification will boggle you. The issue at-hand is a regulatory change. It was not a surprise, and those of us affected had time to plan and pivot (my plants sit across the globe). I'm not sure why it went sideways for Cummins/Onan, but you can already understand how small this is to them if they were ok running on single source supply for the product line all of this time. I'd love to see Honda step in with an onboard inverter combo fuel! Dreaming maybe, but hard to say for sure as Honda has some intriguing skunkworrks.
    Last edited by geotex1; 03-09-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    First, to both companies the segment is miniscule, particularly for Yamaha whose diversification will boggle you. The issue at-hand is a regulatory change. It was not a surprise, and those of us affected had time to plan and pivot (my plants sit across the globe). I'm not sure why it went sideways for Cummins/Onan, but you can already understand how small this is to them if they were ok running on single source supply for the product line all of this time. I'd love to see Honda step in with an onboard inverter combo fuel! Dreaming maybe, but hard to say for sure as Honda has some intriguing skunkworrks.
    You obviously have more inside information than we do and I appreciate you sharing what you can. I hope it gets straightened out soon. I realize its a small parts of their overall business but at least in Onan's case it has to be very profitable one with what they get for these units built on ancient tech with essentially no competition.

Both solitude and Momentum have it back up on the build and price which probably means nothing.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may have something to do with it, though from what I’ve read I wouldn’t want one. But it is finally some competition and forest River is using them

https://www.npsrvpower.com/

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-220448.html
    So, those generators are a Forest River exclusive. (at this point)

We tried to order some (they have some availability) and was told that the will not sell them to anyone without a VIN. They can only sell them to go into a FR product.

When asked if somehow one made it into a different brand, they stated that they would deny any warranty.

Interesting, huh?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine since they also use the Yamaha engine, they will also be unavailable anyways.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    So, those generators are a Forest River exclusive. (at this point)

We tried to order some (they have some availability) and was told that the will not sell them to anyone without a VIN. They can only sell them to go into a FR product.

When asked if somehow one made it into a different brand, they stated that they would deny any warranty.

Interesting, huh?
    Yes, and from what I read those who have them aren't real happy with them either. But any competition is better than none I guess
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just ordered a Solitude and added gen prep in thoughts we would add the gen set next year once we travel more. If Onan doesn't come back to market is the gen prep still a good thing to have optioned? Is what GD does for factory gen prep applicable to any similar set up (say if Honda steps up and offers a comparable product) or is it Cummins/Onan specific? If it's useless with anything other than an Onan I may just cancel that option and save the money.
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNerd View Post
    We just ordered a Solitude and added gen prep in thoughts we would add the gen set next year once we travel more. If Onan doesn't come back to market is the gen prep still a good thing to have optioned? Is what GD does for factory gen prep applicable to any similar set up (say if Honda steps up and offers a comparable product) or is it Cummins/Onan specific? If it's useless with anything other than an Onan I may just cancel that option and save the money.
    The only aspect of the prep package that would be uncertain is the firebox since thay are dimensioned around the Onans since they been the only player in the game.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNerd View Post
    The only aspect of the prep package that would be uncertain is the firebox since thay are dimensioned around the Onans since they been the only player in the game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast