User Tag List

Thread: Parking pad

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parking pad

Hi. This spring I am putting in an additional parking pad next to my driveway. It will be recycled concrete, which packs in hard enough to drive a semi on. I was once told that parking a car on gravel will make it rust faster. Supposedly that is from moisture coming up from the ground. Don't know if that's true or not. Anyone have any experience with the underside of their camper rusting faster because it was parked on gravel? Our camper only sees the road long after all the snow is gone, so road salt is not an issue. Thanks.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1967 View Post
    Hi. This spring I am putting in an additional parking pad next to my driveway. It will be recycled concrete, which packs in hard enough to drive a semi on. I was once told that parking a car on gravel will make it rust faster. Supposedly that is from moisture coming up from the ground. Don't know if that's true or not. Anyone have any experience with the underside of their camper rusting faster because it was parked on gravel? Our camper only sees the road long after all the snow is gone, so road salt is not an issue. Thanks.
    I doubt it's true that the camper will rust faster on gavel. I used to park mine out back on the grass. Never had that kind of issue. The new rig is out back now after two years in the driveway. I had a spot leveled, and put in limestone with binder in it, on top of carbon fiber mat. The carport will be going up this summer. I had heard that concrete would cause tires to fail faster too, don't believe that either. Now the sun, that will be an issue for sure.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should not be an issue. I would get some paving stones for where the tires sit and under your front jacks.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put down a gravel pad for our Momentum, and some crush and run on top of it. That gets hard enough that a Rooster can't scratch it!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's some truth to this statement, but it's really for things directly contacting the rock, cement, ground in general. So tires resting on it, metal resting directly on the ground, etc. Anything in contact with ground directly should be insulated for long term. Your RV frame is up of the ground enough where the air flow will mitigate the moisture seeping up from the ground. Your RV should be fine unless you enclose with skirting and do not ventilate in any way.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I used the recycled concrete on my pad and it packs good but sticks to bottom of shoes like glue. Must take shoes off before going in when packing up or it gets all over floor. I covered mine with ground up asphalt and that was given to me and it's much better. I still use slip on shoes to go in and out. With any kind of rock small one's will get stuck in bottom of shoe and end up in floor.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if recycled asphalt would work if it's out in sun. Would probably get heated up and sticky. Mine is under shed.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    Not sure if recycled asphalt would work if it's out in sun. Would probably get heated up and sticky. Mine is under shed.
    I live in Ohio and park on gravel. I have heard the same argument about moisture in gravel and don’t buy it. I have parked the same truck and trailer on both concrete and gravel but don’t see a difference.

I can say that you should talk to someone who does gravel for a living regarding what compacts, what shifts and what settles. After doing two fill projects in the last year I have changed my thoughts on the subject. We did fill at a Montana property and fill at an Ohio property. Some fill gravel definitely compacts better and makes a better firmer “road bed” than others.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally had a compacted gravel pad put in when we got our 31G. Best thing I ever did for my assortment of trailers. Been parking in the grass behind my shop for 25 years.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey