User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use heat pump before furnace?

Newbie question:
    How does one cycle between the heat pump and furnace?
    On shakedown trip now, it was chilly around 40 last night. I realize this is the end point for heat pump to work. However, our rig is firing up the furnace for heat every time, not heat pump at all.
    I understand there’s a way to set the Coleman Mach unit to run heat pump preferred first, and then furnace as a backup.
    I checked control panel, thermostat, etc - no obvious answer like with the water heater!
    How/where does one configure this?
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't option the heat pump, so I have no personal experience with this setup. Did you look through the stack of paperwork in the pouch that came with your rig for a manual that covers the heat pump and thermostat?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our unit, you have to set the thermostat to no more than about 3 degrees higher than the current temp inside. So, if it's 65 inside, we can set electric heat to 68 and the heat pump will start. But, if we set the thermostat to 72, gas heat will start. As the temp warms up inside, I keep adjusting the thermostat upwards by a degree or two but no more than 3 degrees higher than current inside temp. That's how ours works. Hope that makes sense...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the manuals and all the component literature, as well as Airexcel’s FAQ page - nada. Electric over gas option is mentioned on several items but it never says how this works or how to set. In my residential setup with a heat pump, there are settings on the thermostat to control this. But the little black Airxcel thermostat doesn’t have more than just “heat” on the heat options.
    As Brian says above, it should kick over in theory, but it keeps going to furnace every time - I can hear the furnace fire up and blow, and, of course, it’s obvious when the heat is coming from the lower not upper vents!
    Gonna call GD support now. Suspecting something is mis-wired or maybe wrong thermostat installed.

I can always just turn the gas off, right?

Thanks guys!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if your thermostat is set to Heat/Electric and your inside temp is 68 and you set the thermostat to 70, the heat pump (A/C) doesn't start up?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We didn't option the heat pump, so I have no personal experience with this setup. Did you look through the stack of paperwork in the pouch that came with your rig for a manual that covers the heat pump and thermostat?

Rob
    What you said here was the main clue.
    I said to DW Optional??? I swear I thought, for no reason other than it made sense in my own mind, that it’s a standard feature.
    Called GD and confirmed, we do not have one installed so I suppose this explains why it won’t come on... and, no, it is still not a standard feature on the ‘21 310.
    There’s always the electric fireplace, right?
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    What you said here was the main clue.
    I said to DW Optional??? I swear I thought, for no reason other than it made sense in my own mind, that it’s a standard feature.
    Called GD and confirmed, we do not have one installed so I suppose this explains why it won’t come on... and, no, it is still not a standard feature on the ‘21 310.
    There’s always the electric fireplace, right?
    Guess you figured it out, that the heat pump is an option.....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    I checked the manuals and all the component literature, as well as Airexcel’s FAQ page - nada. Electric over gas option is mentioned on several items but it never says how this works or how to set. In my residential setup with a heat pump, there are settings on the thermostat to control this. But the little black Airxcel thermostat doesn’t have more than just “heat” on the heat options.
    As Brian says above, it should kick over in theory, but it keeps going to furnace every time - I can hear the furnace fire up and blow, and, of course, it’s obvious when the heat is coming from the lower not upper vents!
    Gonna call GD support now. Suspecting something is mis-wired or maybe wrong thermostat installed.

I can always just turn the gas off, right?

Thanks guys!
    I think you got it. If there is no "Heat Electric" option on tstat you do not have a heat pump. The "heat electric" usually shows up just before the "heat" option.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73