User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chiefblueman Rides Again!

Some of you here on the forum may know that I have been battling health issues for quite some time. The battle is what it is but what really pisses me off is missing a whole camping season. This forum has provided me with hours of entertainment and camaraderie. To those of you that have wished me well and sent good thoughts my way, I thank you. I think you helped.

Yesterday, after a 22 day hospital stay, I was sent to my recovery "halfway house" after receiving an autologous bone marrow transplant. My immune system numbers are recovering rapidly and I'm "engrafted". I have to live close to the clinic for a while for monitoring and rehydration but my doctors tell me my response was far above average. I told 'em I was a tough old bird and I'd get through this. The day my numbers came up I celebrated by walking 2 miles up and down the halls. Beast mode! So far, so good!

On 11/25 I underwent 8 straight days of high dose chemotherapy, wiping out my bone marrow along with any traces of undetectable cancer, leaving me with no immune system. This was the end of my "old" life. On December 6 the third of three infusions of healthy stem cells collected from my blood several weeks earlier was completed. This was a new birth. Then it was watch and wait to see if the graft would take. On day 11 post infusion my neutrophils began to show up. By day 13 I was into the normal range and beyond!

This was no cake walk. This was the most difficult physical and mental challenge I've endured. I was fed from a bag for about 9 days and connected to tubes 24/7. Mucositis, I hate you!

I believe my active life working outdoors every day helped me through this along with a healthy helping hand from the "Big Guy." I had a sense of calm knowing that when I couldn't carry the ball I had some great back up on my side.

The party isn't over but I'm headed in the right direction. I'll have to be very careful about eating and drinking and exposure to environmental insults. Lots of tests and more medical stuff awaits. Right now I'm a bit giddy. We already have 6 trips on the books for next year! YeeHawwww….

Happy Birthday To Me! 12/6/2019

Chiefblueman
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 12-19-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely fantastic! I'm more of the quiet guy in the back of the room (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), but that doesn't mean I don't quietly keep you in my thoughts. Tonight I'll raise my glass to you and wish you well. And Happy Holidays!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim - I have been wondering about how you have been doing over the last several weeks. While the journey has been hell at times you have approached all this with the right attitude and a kick it's ********** style.........way to go ! This all sounds pretty darn encouraging........awesome......thanks for sharing an update !!!

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the best present you could get! Merry Christmas
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to here you’re on the recovery side. Thanks for all your contributions here and hope to run into you in our travels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you became quieter on here I wondered if you were going through more "stuff" . Attitude does wonders and you have the right attitude and added the strong will to fight back. You have been on quite a ride and are sure to come through this even stronger than before. We wish you continued improvement and an improved immune system that kicks butt! Here's to all 6 trips plus one just because you can!!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim. Keep fighting and the right attitude to win your battle.

Our neighbor had stage 4 pancreatic cancer 4 years ago. She's still kicking and in remission. She had a 1% chance of living.

Keep up the fight and we'll see you down the road. Maybe at the Washington Rally in Sept 2020. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome chief!!! Congrats on your victory and happy late birthday!! Can't wait to see you out on the road again.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear Kim. Keep on Keeping on.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim,

Our bestest, oldest friend has just gone through gene therapy. He said it "broke him". It is now 6 months later and he is almost 100%. Hair back, energy at about 75% and getting better.

This is a long hard road but you can make it. Attitude is a big indicator and yours is just right.

Good luck and welcome back.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast