Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Honda EU2000 Generator Install

Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    I already had the generators, been lugging them around for years, that is part of the reason I decided to mount them. Most of the time I only run one generator, rotating between the two. The only time I need to run the two is when I want to run the AC, or possibly make coffee in the morning when the batteries are charging. If I was starting from scratch I might get the larger Honda, but man, I am not sure how I would get it into the compartment!! It weighs like 160lbs as I recall, would need a hoist of some sort.

DAN
    Exactly why we love the little Honda!
    They’re actually “portable” unlike the 150+ lb behemoths some people use.
    Ours will run the roof air fine, but we only have one unit up there.
    We have have a somewhat adequate solar setup though so we’ve only needed to run the Honda a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job mounting your generators. I'm mounting a Champion 3500W, dual fuel generator to my 2" receiver and had planned to use the grill port for supplying propane from my 30# bottles. My local GD service manager told me the regulators couldn't handle the draw and that the pressure 35' away wouldn't run the generator at full power. Can you provide a bit more details about your propane installation? For my October trip, I plan to carry extra propane bottle so I think I'm good for the short term but would really like to get rid of the extra weight on the hitch.

I'm at the front end of installing my cargo carrier and constructing my generator cover. After looking at your setup, I confident now that I'll have to reinforce that cargo carrier with something tied to the frame. I'm leaning toward 1/2" SS bolts but may change when I see this come together.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    I thought I would share what I did to install two Honda EU2000 generators on my trailer...
    I can't believe I haven't seen this post before now, Dan. Very impressive mod.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    ...My local GD service manager told me the regulators couldn't handle the draw and that the pressure 35' away wouldn't run the generator at full power.
    Your local GD service manager is incorrect as I just ran this exact setup for a week straight without any issues. Just make sure that the regulator is plugged in to the generator and the extension hose runs from the regulator to the grill port.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,
    Good to know. My Champion generator came with a regulator/hose that attaches to the bottle. The hose os 5' and has a 37 deg flare fitting to connect to the generator. I has assumed that the gas grill post was going to be low pressure, down stream from the GD regulators. I've tried locating the gas fitting quick disconnect part number but no joy. If anyone knows what it is or has a link, I would appreciate it. Last resort is that I'm going to have to buy female/male quick disconnect and make the change. I originally looked for a 40' hose to run under the chassis but was told I needed either 1/2" or 3/4" ID to minimize the pressure drop. I think I need to attach the generator and simply try it. The proof will be in how it operates.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    Peter,
    Good to know. My Champion generator came with a regulator/hose that attaches to the bottle. The hose os 5' and has a 37 deg flare fitting to connect to the generator. I has assumed that the gas grill post was going to be low pressure, down stream from the GD regulators. I've tried locating the gas fitting quick disconnect part number but no joy. If anyone knows what it is or has a link, I would appreciate it. Last resort is that I'm going to have to buy female/male quick disconnect and make the change. I originally looked for a 40' hose to run under the chassis but was told I needed either 1/2" or 3/4" ID to minimize the pressure drop. I think I need to attach the generator and simply try it. The proof will be in how it operates.
    I have done a few of these and it was pretty straightforward. To reiterate what some said you will have no problem running it off the grill port. I have actually added additional ports to mine, one at the rear by my power outlet and one at the front for if I want to run it while in the bed of my pickup.

If you look at the hose supplied by Champion it will look like there are two regulators. You need to keep the big one and remove the small one. It should just unscrew with a couple of wrenches. Once you have the small one removed, then go get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put the male end on the Champion hose and you will be good to go. If you want the generator further from the rig than that, get an extension hose like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Pro...gateway&sr=8-4

I put the female quick disconnect on the Champion "small" regulator so I could connect the two back together if I wanted to run the generator off of a grill tank at the house or something. I have run mine full bore for days off of the grill port with no issues at all. Let me know if you have any other questions, but it should be pretty straightforward once you get it apart.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    I have done a few of these and it was pretty straightforward. To reiterate what some said you will have no problem running it off the grill port. I have actually added additional ports to mine, one at the rear by my power outlet and one at the front for if I want to run it while in the bed of my pickup.

If you look at the hose supplied by Champion it will look like there are two regulators. You need to keep the big one and remove the small one. It should just unscrew with a couple of wrenches. Once you have the small one removed, then go get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put the male end on the Champion hose and you will be good to go. If you want the generator further from the rig than that, get an extension hose like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Pro...gateway&sr=8-4

I put the female quick disconnect on the Champion "small" regulator so I could connect the two back together if I wanted to run the generator off of a grill tank at the house or something. I have run mine full bore for days off of the grill port with no issues at all. Let me know if you have any other questions, but it should be pretty straightforward once you get it apart.
    Found a good post on RV.NET with pictures:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29560935.cfm
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to get with making the change. My configuration is a little different that the photos you showed me. The large regulator looks to be built into the generator and fitted with a 3/8" flare fitting. I'm thinking that I can replace the flare fitting with the male quick disconnect and use the hose that you referenced. What are the chance of the quick disconnect fitting directly into the female disconnect of the grill without leaking? Do I need to buy the complete disconnect kit to assume mating parts? Is there anything special to sealing the pipe fitting other that white teflon tape?
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be standard, you don't need both ends, but I've found it most commonly in a kit with both. Since it's propane you want the yellow tape instead of the white.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very clean job indeed, just 2 qs: how much length did this add? and, are they inverter type generators so you can couple their output without running into phase inversion issues (are you using 110 or 220 VAC output)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast