User Tag List

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing to consider. Sometimes the exterior fridge vents like to go on a vacation of their own while traveling. Not unheard of for them to fly off while driving. If you are mounting your $100 fans to your $50 vent cover you might want to secure it. I used Clevis Pins. Not saying it’s the best solution but I had them on hand and it allows me to remove the cover easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 98559C30-1C58-49DB-B92A-ED72B9AD2DD0.jpeg   A6963991-8A0C-444D-8975-D4B0B5764CDB.jpeg  
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    I was thinking about this. If you cut holes in the back panel, would you be drawing air AWAY from the cooling fins? Would it not be more effective by mounting them ABOVE the back panel somehow? I took the cover off tonite and stood there for a while trying to think of the most efficient way of drawing the air over the fins and out...
    I looked at the picture of the open area behind your fridge again. I agree with you. I think if you mount to fans on a cross member above the back panel, it would give you the best results. You could also point them down a little directing the air out the vent.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    One more thing to consider. Sometimes the exterior fridge vents like to go on a vacation of their own while traveling. Not unheard of for them to fly off while driving. If you are mounting your $100 fans to your $50 vent cover you might want to secure it. I used Clevis Pins. Not saying it’s the best solution but I had them on hand and it allows me to remove the cover easily.
    Good idea Justa5th. Thanks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019SD

Well, you may be right. Basically you are trying to draw hot air away from the coils. I'm not sure one way would be more effective than the other, but I'm sure open to suggestions.

My first thoughts were to do the way you are talking about, but by mounting in the panel you are only dropping down a few inches, and the middle of the fans would still be above the middle of the coil assembly. It would just be so easy and quick to do it that way and wouldn't require any other mounting brackets. If done above the panel it will require some type of an aluminum structure to hold the fans. I'm going to give this some more thought.
    Last edited by dryfly; 06-29-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    EXCELLENT idea!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF943AA4-734C-49FA-958E-FA6657764E01.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	772.7 KB 
ID:	27682So this is what I have rigged up so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1272497A-9BE5-4E79-8685-CC95DF3B6FF7.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	980.4 KB 
ID:	27681 Instead of cutting the vent, i was able to rig the fans at an angle, forcing the air downward out the vents instead of just against the plastic...

My other question is why the black tin diverter, above the coils is A, not flipped over to direct air out the vents, and B, it is just laying on the top of the fridge above the coils and i can push it up to the ceiling exposing the insulation around the top of the fridge. Also, it seems to me that this could let any hot air coming up towards the fins to just go right into the insulation and open area of the fridge. Seems to have it sealed up would help.....
    Last edited by 2019SD; 06-30-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	BF943AA4-734C-49FA-958E-FA6657764E01.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	772.7 KB 
ID:	27682So this is what I have rigged up so far.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1272497A-9BE5-4E79-8685-CC95DF3B6FF7.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	980.4 KB 
ID:	27681 Instead of cutting the vent, i was able to rig the fans at an angle, forcing the air downward out the vents instead of just against the plastic...

My other question is why the black tin diverter, above the coils is A, not flipped over to direct air out the vents, and B, it is just laying on the top of the fridge above the coils and i can push it up to the ceiling exposing the insulation around the top of the fridge. Also, it seems to me that this could let any hot air coming up towards the fins to just go right into the insulation and open area of the fridge. Seems to have it sealed up would help.....
    That is exactly how I planned on installing my fans. Directly to the vent on a downward angle...

I think the placement of the tin diverter is driven more by what's easy and saves time and $$. My advice is to trust your common sense and configure it as you see it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still trying to figure out how to to the wiring....not too sure about what to tap into...also where to leave the controller...bottom or top. Seems to me if on top it would register hot air quicker and turn on the fans sooner...��
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still trying to figure out how to to the wiring....not too sure about what to tap into...also where to leave the controller...bottom or top. Seems to me if on top it would register hot air quicker and turn on the fans sooner...��
    Here you go...

Name:	download_20200630_192951.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	27685

This is inside the bottom vent. This is the DC power going into the fridge. On mine the wire with the red line was the postive. Just attach the wires on the fan accordingly and you have power.

I left the control box in this area. I also did not attach the temp wire either. Right now I simply open the bottom vent and turn the fan on and adjust the speed as desired. Hope that helps.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    Here you go...

Name:	download_20200630_192951.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	27685

This is inside the bottom vent. This is the DC power going into the fridge. On mine the wire with the red line was the postive. Just attach the wires on the fan accordingly and you have power.

I left the control box in this area. I also did not attach the temp wire either. Right now I simply open the bottom vent and turn the fan on and adjust the speed as desired. Hope that helps.

Do you turn them on when you go out and off when you come back home?
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast