User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertEarl View Post
    2020 2250RK Coleman Mach 15
    First trip out with this rig. 104 outside with no shade or wind. 88 degrees inside is the best it will do?
    At night it goes down to 72 degrees and cycles off an on.
    RV airflow installed. F.ilters and coils are clean.

The freeze sensor had fallen out and I put it back where it came from on the drivers side of the coil about 2 inches up.

Should it do better than this or should I only book sites with alot of shade.

Reb
    The Delta T for Coleman units is 16 to 22 degrees at best. The Delta T is the temperature difference between what's being drawn into the unit and the temperature exiting the closest register. The new Furrion Chill units have a Delta T rating of 24 to 30 degrees. This is very efficient and due in part to the dual fan setup in the Furrion. There is a lot of Furrion bashing going on because of the room sensor issue, but now that the issue is being fixed the Furrion is working as designed. I love my Furrion, it keeps up with the triple degree temps in Southern Arizona.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same rig, same AC, same RV AirFlow mod.

We were up in Amarillo about 10 days ago. On arrival it was 104 (per my truck) outside. Inside it was 99, but the thermometer only has 2 digits. I think it was 104 or worse. It took a couple of hours to pull inside temp down to 88. Afternoon of day two was the same outside temp in the shade, but 116 on the roof. We ran the AC all day long, and it kept inside temp to 84. I was doing all the tricks I could think of. Awning out, shades drawn, and foam plugs in the ceiling vents. I also tried hosing the outside down, but I don't think it did much.

Day three we went to a brewpub around three thirty and stayed till nine. That was the best solution.

You are getting the best inside temps you can get. We are solving a slightly different problem. We keep all our dry goods in the pantry. It gets hot and stays hot. We left the doors wide open while stationary, but can't travel like that. I am installing foam insulation on the back wall and on the floor of the pantry, and we are going to replace the wood inserts in the doors with bamboo slats so the cabinets get better airflow.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First trip out with this rig. 104 outside with no shade or wind. 88 degrees inside is the best it will do?

The freeze sensor had fallen out and I put it back where it came from on the drivers side of the coil about 2 inches up.

Reb
    It hasn't been said yet on this thread, but if it's in your power to select a site and no shade is available, try to get an East/West orientation for your trailer if you can. We moved spots from a southeast/northwest direction to east/west, the sun rides almost right over the top of us. Made a dramatic difference. We also use Reflectix in the windows, plugs in the overhead vents, etc. We have one AC in South Texas summer sun which forced me to get the compass out.

Having the sun bake the sides of your trailer doesn't help. Awnings can help but mainly on one side. It's rough having so much fun!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2018 F-350 Lariat DRW CC LB 6.7

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would painting the cover of the a/c from black to white help?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may help

Reb
    You may try this https://www.shaderv.com/, I am looking to get this as I am in west and south texas often. I had a second ac added and that made a huge difference.
    Phillip
    2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7L PS SRW SB CC 4x4 Tremor, 35k inverter, 60gal S&B tank.
    2019 312 BHTS, MORyde CRE300, five leaf 6k leafsprings , MORyde heavy duty shackles.
    Non Destructive Examiner- Oilfield Trash

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would painting the cover of the a/c from black to white help?
    I have an 2019 Grand Momentum Toy Hauler..
    I decide to "Paint" my roof with the Henrys Tropi-cool roof protectant..
    I did a lot of measuring for the temps.. one of those temps was the A/C unit
    the ambient temp was 101, the black A/C protection cover as 175 degrees F.
    Thats right 175F... crazy hot..
    I removed the black cover and the temp of the Evaporator Box was 135.
    The Evap box does have some insulation to protect from this so it is better inside..
    With the A/C off the internal (inside the trailer where the internal air begins to pass through the Evap) was 99 degrees F.
    I thought about replacing the black cover with a white cover... 130 to 150 dollars. Nope.
    Then I thought about using the leftover Henrys Tropi-cool to paint the cover.. but did not really want to do that..
    I decided to do a two part system..
    I took the silver reflectix insulation and built it around the evaporator box and then covered the black protective cover in the same being careful to make sure no air exit holes were covered or that it would hand down and block the water drains from the evap box..
    With the A/C off and the out door temp at 107 the inside Evaporator temp was the same as the ambient internal temp no matter morning or late afternoon..
    This alone made a significant difference to how much my A/C runs..

I was getting about a 13 to 15 degree temp differential between inside ambient in temps to A/C exit temps..
    I was ok with that since it is well within the parameters of the unit.
    After adding the insulation to the A/C unit I get a constant 19 to 21 degree temp differential..
    Now that is rather impressive for one of these units..
    I went from A/C constant running (I only run the main cabin A/C and not the bedroom A/C and close off the garage vents) to keep the temp under control (thermostat set at 80) but the temps rising through out the day.. up to as much as 87 to having it not get any higher than 83 to 84 even at outside temps of 107 to 110.
    I have now put the refectix in all the windows and that as well has made a huge difference..
    I now stay between 79 (thermostat set at 80) and 81 all day no matter what outside temp is.

Yes I do have the 4 season package and that helps..
    You also need to find all of the hidden places that let large amounts of outside air into your rig..
    You will never find them all or stop them all but large ones like the 18x22 supposed return vent for my heater that turned out to be an open vent into my pass through letting my pantry heat up to over 100 degrees and thus anytime I was running the A/C it would pull in hot air to my rig.
    And behind the fireplace there is a large cut out that I am not sure why it ever existed but it was allowing the same thing.
    Very hot air being introduced into the living area from the pass through..

Yes the A/C will pull air in from anywhere it can.
    Air is fairly thick in the big scheme of things and where ever it can be lazy it will. The colder air is harder for the fans to pull so it will pull the warmer air from just about anywhere..

The nice part about using the refectix and your window shades is it really does make a significant difference but at night or in the evening you can just pull it out of the window for the nice views and put it back in the morning..

The RVs today have some pretty good insulation for what they are but are still very poor at keeping the 100 plus heat strictly outdoors..

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktwillys View Post
    I have an 2019 Grand Momentum Toy Hauler..
    I decide to "Paint" my roof with the Henrys Tropi-cool roof protectant..
    I did a lot of measuring for the temps.. one of those temps was the A/C unit
    the ambient temp was 101, the black A/C protection cover as 175 degrees F.
    Thats right 175F... crazy hot..
    I removed the black cover and the temp of the Evaporator Box was 135.
    The Evap box does have some insulation to protect from this so it is better inside..
    With the A/C off the internal (inside the trailer where the internal air begins to pass through the Evap) was 99 degrees F.
    I thought about replacing the black cover with a white cover... 130 to 150 dollars. Nope.
    Then I thought about using the leftover Henrys Tropi-cool to paint the cover.. but did not really want to do that..
    I decided to do a two part system..
    I took the silver reflectix insulation and built it around the evaporator box and then covered the black protective cover in the same being careful to make sure no air exit holes were covered or that it would hand down and block the water drains from the evap box..
    With the A/C off and the out door temp at 107 the inside Evaporator temp was the same as the ambient internal temp no matter morning or late afternoon..
    This alone made a significant difference to how much my A/C runs..

I was getting about a 13 to 15 degree temp differential between inside ambient in temps to A/C exit temps..
    I was ok with that since it is well within the parameters of the unit.
    After adding the insulation to the A/C unit I get a constant 19 to 21 degree temp differential..
    Now that is rather impressive for one of these units..
    I went from A/C constant running (I only run the main cabin A/C and not the bedroom A/C and close off the garage vents) to keep the temp under control (thermostat set at 80) but the temps rising through out the day.. up to as much as 87 to having it not get any higher than 83 to 84 even at outside temps of 107 to 110.
    I have now put the refectix in all the windows and that as well has made a huge difference..
    I now stay between 79 (thermostat set at 80) and 81 all day no matter what outside temp is.

Yes I do have the 4 season package and that helps..
    You also need to find all of the hidden places that let large amounts of outside air into your rig..
    You will never find them all or stop them all but large ones like the 18x22 supposed return vent for my heater that turned out to be an open vent into my pass through letting my pantry heat up to over 100 degrees and thus anytime I was running the A/C it would pull in hot air to my rig.
    And behind the fireplace there is a large cut out that I am not sure why it ever existed but it was allowing the same thing.
    Very hot air being introduced into the living area from the pass through..

Yes the A/C will pull air in from anywhere it can.
    Air is fairly thick in the big scheme of things and where ever it can be lazy it will. The colder air is harder for the fans to pull so it will pull the warmer air from just about anywhere..

The nice part about using the refectix and your window shades is it really does make a significant difference but at night or in the evening you can just pull it out of the window for the nice views and put it back in the morning..

The RVs today have some pretty good insulation for what they are but are still very poor at keeping the 100 plus heat strictly outdoors..
    Thanks @ktwillys for a very thorough and instructive post. Fortunately for me, high heat is rarely an issue, but it is posts like yours that make this forum so valuable. Especially all of the data you shared about your real-world experience. Love to see some pictures showing how you did the mod on your roof unit.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thanks @ktwillys for a very thorough and instructive post. Fortunately for me, high heat is rarely an issue, but it is posts like yours that make this forum so valuable. Especially all of the data you shared about your real-world experience. Love to see some pictures showing how you did the mod on your roof unit.
    Soundsailor..
    Will do.. just got to get the pictures together..
    pretty simple but not for those of us who are really OCD.. wow a lot of work.. lo

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you put the reflectix on the inside of the cover with glue?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you put the reflectix on the inside of the cover with glue?
    RobertEarl,
    Good Morning.
    No I did not..
    Since the cover will hold it in place it really doesnt need to be taped down.
    plus that makes it easier to remove to service the Evap.
    I taped the seams with good quality Silver Ducting tape.. (no not the duct tape that everyone loves.. but real HVAC Duct tape) and where it goes around the motor..
    To cover as much of the Evap as possible.
    Making sure the clips for the cover are left exposed and that it does not go below the edge of the sheet metal to make sure it does not block the Evap drains.

I apologize for no pictures.. I thought I had taken way more than the normal person would but cannot find a one.
    I will get up on the roof and take some and post them
    It really does help
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually Long Bed
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 349M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12