User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator Cooling Issue

2019 303RLS
    We noticed on this last 3 week trip that the Dometic 8 cu.ft. frig would get up to 48 degrees during the day per the thermostat on the face of the frig. At night it would go back down to 34-35 degrees by the time we got up. Outside temps during the day were about 92 degrees. So, we got real cautious about what we had in it and made sure there was plenty of airflow around items.
    Here is the question... I pulled the top frig cover off and found this plywood paneling up to the top coils and covering about 3/4 of an inch of the coils. Is this normal and needed or should I cut this out to open up ventilation? The temp gauge on the frig agrees with a heat gun. I was wondering if someone with the same trailer could look at theirs and send photo. Thanks to all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210712_132841.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	35575
    2019 303 RLS Reflection 5er (nickname - Coyote)
    2019 F250 Lariat FX4 CC SRW 160" WB, (nickname - Silverback) 6.7L diesel, 3.55 gears, 10K GVWR, 20" wheels, Tow Package, B&W Champion Slider
    Dennis, Judy, and Shelby (Lab-Rhodesian Ridgeback)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That panel is there to force the hot air that is using up from the bottom thru the coils and then out the side vent. Unfortunately, this isn't sufficient when it gets warm outside and the hot air doesn't evacuate quick enough to cool the coils down. Do a search for fridge cooling and you will find plenty of threads related to upgrades that folks are doing to remedy this.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 320mks (very simialr to yours) and have the same "issue". My panel is metal. In fact, I have another thread going where I needed to replace one of the fans behind this panel. My unit is 2 months old and already had a fan go oiut....

So, to access the fans there are two options. Remove the fridge or remove the panel. Not wanting to remove the fridge, I decided to cut the panel out and put in a new one... Right as I went to put the dremel up against the panel I noticed it was held in by only three sheetmetal screws. I put a chisel between the panel and frame. With just a little leverage the screws cae right out as doid the panel.. I was then able to replace the bad fan...
    ...... Now I'm trying to figure out how to put the panel back... hahahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Birdman....Thanks for the info. So, there is a fan pushing the air up and out. I didn't look well enough to notice if there was a fan back there. I'll take another look in a couple weeks when I get time.
    Big help! Thanks again!
    Good luck getting that panel back in. Could you use any of those auto fasteners that are plastic and expand when screwing them in? Just a thought.
    2019 F250 Lariat FX4 CC SRW 160" WB, (nickname - Silverback) 6.7L diesel, 3.55 gears, 10K GVWR, 20" wheels, Tow Package, B&W Champion Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavysledz...thanks for the tip. I went on the blogs and this one guy replaced the whole electric only frig with a residential frig for much less than a new Dometic. He spent around $1400 vs the insane price of $5400 for a direct replacement that can go propane and electric. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteHauler View Post
    Hey Birdman....Thanks for the info. So, there is a fan pushing the air up and out. I didn't look well enough to notice if there was a fan back there. I'll take another look in a couple weeks when I get time.
    Big help! Thanks again!
    Good luck getting that panel back in. Could you use any of those auto fasteners that are plastic and expand when screwing them in? Just a thought.
    Yeah, they're tough to see but there should be two fans behind that panel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdmanG View Post
    I have a 320mks (very simialr to yours) and have the same "issue". My panel is metal. In fact, I have another thread going where I needed to replace one of the fans behind this panel. My unit is 2 months old and already had a fan go oiut....

So, to access the fans there are two options. Remove the fridge or remove the panel. Not wanting to remove the fridge, I decided to cut the panel out and put in a new one... Right as I went to put the dremel up against the panel I noticed it was held in by only three sheetmetal screws. I put a chisel between the panel and frame. With just a little leverage the screws cae right out as doid the panel.. I was then able to replace the bad fan...
    ...... Now I'm trying to figure out how to put the panel back... hahahaha
    Use a couple small L-brackets so if you need to, can remove again.
    2020 337RLS
    2018 F350 4WD CCLB Dually Diesel
    2010 FLHTCU and 2021 Explorer
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they're tough to see but there should be two fans behind that panel.
    Correct. You need a ladder that will get you high enough to see down into the area between the 2 vents. I had to replace mine last year. I reassembled using 1/2" foil backed foam board taped in place with a/c duct tape. I also laid a piece across the top of the fridge to direct the air out of the vent. One last mod I did was to replace the black vents with white versions. Black absorbs heat, white reflects it. I run my t-stat at 5 now and it keeps temps at 35-37 in fridge and 2-5 in freezer.
    2020 337RLS
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobter3 View Post
    I reassembled using 1/2" foil backed foam board taped in place with a/c duct tape. I also laid a piece across the top of the fridge to direct the air out of the vent.
    I like this! I do want to have access in the future and thought of the L bracket thing too. Seems you avoided that for the foil-backed board. Much simpler. Everything staying put?

I might open up the top a little more too (i.e. lower the panel). Any concerns with that?

Any pictures? Curious on the redirect :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this! I do want to have access in the future and thought of the L bracket thing too. Seems you avoided that for the foil-backed board. Much simpler. Everything staying put?

I might open up the top a little more too (i.e. lower the panel). Any concerns with that?

Any pictures? Curious on the redirect :-)
    Has held up for over a year with no problems. I'll get some pics later today or tomorrow and post up.
    2020 337RLS
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast