User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up shore power

I just finished today, installing a 50 amp outlet 62 feet with four gauge THHN. Man was it tough to go through the basement to the side of the house. The ground wire goes from the receptacle to the ground lug on the box to the main panel. You’re going to need a bigger break if if you want to power all those outlets at the same time. 20amp 30amp 50amp = 100amp. 162 feet is so far maybe 2awg is better. I spent $530 for all the material. Not very hard to wire 4 wires to the main panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thegreenblade; 07-27-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    I just finished today, installing a 50 amp outlet 62 feet with four gauge THHN. Man was it tough to go through the basement to the side of the house. The ground wire goes from the receptacle to the ground lug on the box to the main panel. You’re going to need a bigger break if if you want to power all those outlets at the same time. 20amp 30amp 50amp = 100amp. 162 feet is so far maybe 2awg is better. I spent $530 for all the material. Not very hard to wire 4 wires to the main panel.

The original poster is having an Electrician wire his two Shore Power Poles. The Electricians have specified 4/0 wire (this is four - ought wire) not 4awg. I am sure the Electricians have performed the proper calculations to size the breakers properly.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up shore power

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    The original poster is having an Electrician wire his two Shore Power Poles. The Electricians have specified 4/0 wire (this is four - ought wire) not 4awg. I am sure the Electricians have performed the proper calculations to size the breakers properly.
    I’ve heard that one before. 4/0 1/2” thick I get it now.

Last edited by thegreenblade; 07-27-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    You’re going to need a bigger break if if you want to power all those outlets at the same time. 20amp 30amp 50amp = 100amp.
    The most drawn from each pedestal should be 70 amps. My camper is 50 + the 20amp external circuit. The other pedestal will have a 30 amp camper and the external. I just want to "do it once, do it right" in case he wants to upgrade/upsize.
    2019 Transcend Xplor 31RLS

Yes, I'm a newbie!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogercwhite View Post
    The most drawn from each pedestal should be 70 amps. My camper is 50 + the 20amp external circuit. The other pedestal will have a 30 amp camper and the external. I just want to "do it once, do it right" in case he wants to upgrade/upsize.
    The breakers will be sized as if all three outlets were pulling the max load (50 + 30 + 20).
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The breakers will be sized as if all three outlets were pulling the max load (50 + 30 + 20).
    Not required.

Also remember that the 30 and 20 are 120v and will be on opposite legs. So theoretically max current draw on any leg would be 50+30 on one leg and 50+20 on the other. With the box Wired and protected with 70 amp it will be fine.

My 50 amp RV never draws over 30 amps on any leg even with both AC units, refrigerator, water heater and converter running. In fact I run it on a 14-30R, 30 amp 240 4-wire dryer outlet with a proper adapter at home when loading it for a trip. (You can’t do that on an obsolete 10-30R, 3 wire dryer outlet because it doesn’t have a ground where a 4-wire does)
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Not required.

Also remember that the 30 and 20 are 120v and will be on opposite legs. So theoretically max current draw on any leg would be 50+30 on one leg and 50+20 on the other. With the box Wired and protected with 70 amp it will be fine.

My 50 amp RV never draws over 30 amps on any leg even with both AC units, refrigerator, water heater and converter running. In fact I run it on a 14-30R, 30 amp 240 4-wire dryer outlet with a proper adapter at home when loading it for a trip. (You can’t do that on an obsolete 10-30R, 3 wire dryer outlet because it doesn’t have a ground where a 4-wire does)
    The breakers I was talking about are the breakers at the beginning of the 160 foot line. They will need to be sized to carry the max load from each outlet as if they were drawing their full rated power. Even if your 50 amp coach never exceeds 30 amps, there are some coaches (Class As or units with three A/C units) that can utilize all 50 amps available from a 50 amp Shore Connection.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 07-28-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The breakers I was talking about are the breakers at the beginning of the 160 foot line. They will need to be sized to carry the max load from each outlet as if they were drawing their full rated power.………..
    Actually the feeder breaker needs to be sized to protect the feeder wire.

NEC Code for RV parks is interesting. If the RV site is expected to be dedicated to a single RV, with a multi-receptacle supply enclosure, the load you count to determine the feeder size is the highest rated receptacle in the enclosure. However if the site is expected to serve two recreational vehicles the load you use to calculate the service is the two highest rated receptacles in the enclosure.

So on a single RV site with a multi-receptacle enclosure with 50+30+20, a 70:amp feeder wire and breaker is fine since with a 50:amp RV the 30 amp would not be used at the same time.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 07-30-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Actually the fender breaker needs to be sized to protect the feeder wire.

NEC Code for RV parks is interesting. If the RV site is expected to be dedicated to a single RV, with a multi-receptacle supply enclosure, the load you count to determine the feeder size is the highest rated receptacle in the enclosure. However if the site is expected to serve two recreational vehicles the load you use to calculate the service is the two highest rated receptacles in the enclosure.

So on a single RV site with a multi-receptacle enclosure with 50+30+20, a 70:amp feeder wire and breaker is fine since with a 50:amp RV the 30 amp would not be used.
    This could become very interesting if we all get Lightening pickups or CyberTrucks, cause you can bet I would naturally see that unused 30 amp outlet as a charging source for my Electric Vehicle.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could become very interesting if we all get Lightening pickups or CyberTrucks, cause you can bet I would naturally see that unused 30 amp outlet as a charging source for my Electric Vehicle.
    Yep. Right now my EV is being charged and plugged into my dual purpose 50 amp RV/EV 14-50R outlet at our cabin. It’s wired for 50 amps with 6AWG THWN but protected by a 40 amp breaker. The EV draws 27.5 amps max
    Jerry & Linda

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast