User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 - 6 volt batteries will generally out last 2 - 12 volt batteries. The 6 Volt batteries are golf cart batteries - they are built to last.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Are Interstates a good battery?
    In Florida there was is no such thing as a good battery. The heat kills them all. At least in your TV.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Openrange, if i understand correctly, two six volts wired in series and better than two 12 volts wired in parallel????
    Man, wish i had electrical knowhow, that jhst sounds so strange to me, but be assured, i am NOT questioning it.........ok, so, now on a mission, since i was going to replace my Duracell group 24 with TWO new 12's, i now have to refigure what 6 volt batteries i need and what groups THEY are in......auuuurgh!!!

Thanks Sir and to the rest of the ones that help confuse me. :-) :-)

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by openrangeowners View Post
    All of the lead acid flooded cell batteries are good as long as they don't get cooked by overcharging, boil over, leak or get run down below 50%. If you are looking at 2 batteries, you have to decide if you are going to be diligent enough to keep the water levels up on them. Two 5th wheels ago I purchased an expensive watering system that had a hand pump and tubing that fed water to each cell. It was expensive, but it worked well and kept my battery in very good condition.

My last 5th wheel I purchased 2 6 Volt AGM batteries. These greatly increased our ability to boondock. We stayed 5 days at the North side Grand Canyon campground (no hookups). They lasted 8 years and were still good when I sold the camper. They required no maintenance except you could not run them down past 50%. I left the camper plugged in all the time and had a multi stage charger/converter that did not cook the batteries. They were not cheap (about $180 each) and they weighed about 68 lbs each.

I thought about doing the same for my current 5th wheel, but instead bit the bullet and installed a solar/inverter/Lithium battery system myself. If you do solar the whole system gets you 26% back (in total system cost) in a tax credit. My Battle Borns were $825 each, so I figure around a little over $600 after tax credit. Just 1 Battle Born (or any 100amp hour LiFePO4 battery) will provide more capacity than my 190 amp hour AGM batteries in my previous camper, and they can be run down without issues. I have heard people building these (LiFePO4 12V batteries) themselves for under $400 each.

SO if you do decide you need more capacity and start going down the path of solar ... inverter .... boon docking ..... there is a lot of good information out there.

Otherwise I would recommend 2 AGM 6 Volt batteries - they will last a long time as was proven in my last 5th wheel. They were Deka brand (8AGC2) and were purchased at Battery Warehouse.
    2 - 6 volt batteries will generally out last 2 - 12 volt batteries. The 6 Volt batteries are golf cart batteries - they are built to last.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray - the advantage to the 6 volt batteries is that each cell is larger, thus can take more abuse.

The disadvantage of 2 - 6 volt batteries is that if one fails you have no power. Good thing is if one prematurely fails it won’t negatively hurt the other one.

With 2 -12 volt batteries in parallel, if one prematurely fails and you catch it before it inflicts damage on the other one, you can still have power. If you don’t catch it it will damage the other one.

Your camper will work the same way with 2 - 6 volt batteries in series. Wiring is easier than 2 - 12 volts in parallel.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I've had good luck with my Interstate batteries in the 2 yrs I've had them. My trailer is plugged in to 50 amp service when stored so they are constantly taking whatever little charge they need from the converter. I've only had to add a little water to them once in 2 years, that's pretty nice. I know they're just considered a basic wet cell deep cycle battery but they've done well for me.
    That's amazing that you only had to add a little water in 2 years.

Most of the time the factory converter cooks the battery / batteries. I think that the converter should be replaced as soon as you buy you rv. Put in a quality 4 stage converter like a Progressive Dynamics. I have this one before I switched to lithium.

From their web site.
    The built-in TCMS (Total Charge Management System) connector allows the RV manufacturer, dealer, or owner to easily add the Charge Wizard. The Charge Wizard is a microprocessor-controlled system that constantly monitors the battery voltage and use to ensure a rapid; yet, safe, recharge. The Charge Wizard can select one of three charging voltages and one of four operating modes depending on the condition and use of the battery.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I think that the converter should be replaced as soon as you buy you rv.
    Believe it or not, my 311 came with a Progressive Dynamics 9260. I was shocked to see that, especially since my 399 had a WFCO 55 Amp charger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Believe it or not, my 311 came with a Progressive Dynamics 9260. I was shocked to see that, especially since my 399 had a WFCO 55 Amp charger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    WOW
    Just WOW.
    That's amazing. Was it a shortage of the WFCO or is GD stepping up to the plate a bit better? We will see.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray - the advantage to the 6 volt batteries is that each cell is larger, thus can take more abuse.

The disadvantage of 2 - 6 volt batteries is that if one fails you have no power. Good thing is if one prematurely fails it won’t negatively hurt the other one.

With 2 -12 volt batteries in parallel, if one prematurely fails and you catch it before it inflicts damage on the other one, you can still have power. If you don’t catch it it will damage the other one.

Your camper will work the same way with 2 - 6 volt batteries in series. Wiring is easier than 2 - 12 volts in parallel.
    So all you have said about AGM , wet cell, Lithium is true except not all AGM s fall into the same classifications.

For years I used 6 volt Lifeline AGM on my 35 foot sailboat. They were excellent and had good warrenties and lasted 10 years if equalized.

Then I became aware of Oaisis Firefly Carbon Foam AGM.
    The have 8x the cycles of the Lifelines AGM (3000) plus they can be drawn down below 50% like lithium’s. This is one of the great advantages along with weight lithium’s have. These Fireflies do not need special battery management systems , just a good 3 stage charger. They also have no temperature charging restrictions like lithium’s have. These should be considered also and are used extensively by long range cruising sailors.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Openrange, if i understand correctly, two six volts wired in series and better than two 12 volts wired in parallel????
    Man, wish i had electrical knowhow, that jhst sounds so strange to me, but be assured, i am NOT questioning it.........ok, so, now on a mission, since i was going to replace my Duracell group 24 with TWO new 12's, i now have to refigure what 6 volt batteries i need and what groups THEY are in......auuuurgh!!!

Thanks Sir and to the rest of the ones that help confuse me. :-) :-)

Ray
    Generally yes.
    The deal is that they are a direct drop in for the standard 12vs commonly used. IOW, they ocuppy the same footprint. They are taller though, this is why they have a higher capacity. The extra height usually is not a problem. In addition, the sixes are true deep cycle batteries with much more robust inernals, which makes for longer life.
    It is the most cost effective battery upgrade one can make. I have used them for about 20 years. For my new Momentum, I went with Lithiums. They have a lot going for them, but they are very expensive.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best-known and most-loved 6V golf cart batteries is the Trojan T-105. They are rated at 225 amp/hours and are as tough as they come. I have not been kind to mine, in part because I've never replaced the factory WFCO 9855 converter which does not charge them to ideal levels, but they're still chugging along after four years of hot and cold weather in Canada and the southern U.S.

Yes, two of them in series would give you a 12V battery rated at 225 amp/hours. As noted in your other thread about inverters, you need to figure out what are your needs so you can know if 225 amps is enough to meet the needs. I have four T-105s wired as two 12s, giving me a rated 450 amp/hours which is enough for several days off-grid with very little inverter use.

As @Openrange said, they will do a lot more work and take more abuse than most 12V batteries.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast