User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by openrangeowners View Post
    I have heard people building these (LiFePO4 12V batteries) themselves for under $400 each.
    Yep, that's definitely feasible. I'm putting together the parts for a 270 Ah LiFePO4 battery now, got about $650 into it I'd say. Small enough that I can easily drop a couple of them where my Interstate FLAs are now on the tongue of the trailer.

If not for that, I'd just have gotten a pair of 6V GC2s from Costco and been done with it.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    So Openrange, if i understand correctly, two six volts wired in series and better than two 12 volts wired in parallel????
    Man, wish i had electrical knowhow, that jhst sounds so strange to me, but be assured, i am NOT questioning it.........ok, so, now on a mission, since i was going to replace my Duracell group 24 with TWO new 12's, i now have to refigure what 6 volt batteries i need and what groups THEY are in......auuuurgh!!!

Thanks Sir and to the rest of the ones that help confuse me. :-) :-)

Ray
    The 6 volt batteries have thicker plates and are more durable. Physical size and amp hour capacity may be similar, but the 6v batteries will last longer and stand up to more discharge abuse.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery choice

Well, looks like I will be going with either the Trojan T-125 or the Deka 8AGC2, unless someone throws in another to look at.
    I just don't want to go with a Duracell, Interstate, Duralast or some other local brand.

Thanks for everything Sir.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    The 6 volt batteries have thicker plates and are more durable. Physical size and amp hour capacity may be similar, but the 6v batteries will last longer and stand up to more discharge abuse.

Good Luck

Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco sells 6v GC2 batteries for about 90 bucks each. I have had great luck with them.

2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Costco sells 6v GC2 batteries for about 90 bucks each. I have had great luck with them.

Thanks Redapple, looking at reviews, they're mixed reviews on them, but might just take a chance on them.

Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get what you pay for with batteries. It usually shows up in the number of cycles. They are cheaper because the lead plates are thinner because they have used lesser quality or recycled lead. It can make what seems like a great deal in cost actually more expensive as it needs replacement more often. Going the the 6 volt route is a good move as you can maneuver them but more important the lead plates are thicker than say group 27/ 31

Most people I know who use Trojan wet cells and take the time for maintainence ( both water and de-sulfating) have the last 5 years. I’d go with the Trojans.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sailor.....not sure if i would have to order or can buy local.....my wife is my guide, she tells me, buy best, buy once!! Good woman.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    You get what you pay for with batteries. It usually shows up in the number of cycles. They are cheaper because the lead plates are thinner because they have used lesser quality or recycled lead. It can make what seems like a great deal in cost actually more expensive as it needs replacement more often. Going the the 6 volt route is a good move as you can maneuver them but more important the lead plates are thicker than say group 27/ 31

Most people I know who use Trojan wet cells and take the time for maintainence ( both water and de-sulfating) have the last 5 years. I’d go with the Trojans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a 12v golf cart battery that nobody seems to talk about. It is 12v, 150 ah and is made to deep cycle with thicker plates like all good golf cart batteries. Two of them will give you 300 ah with 150 ah useable (assuming a 50% depth of discharge). They are harder to find but Interstate has them. Look up the Interstate GC12-HCL-UTL.

All that being said, I like lithium if you are in it for the long haul.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to be a pretty dedicated lead enthusiast to blow $600 on 150Ah of FLA . For not much more it's easy to source a pair of Trojan L16H-AC's and end up with 215 Ah usable.

But of course then there's the weight. That Interstate battery is 85 pounds. The L16H-AC are 125 back-breaking pounds apiece. Woof.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry the advantage of the thicker plates is negated by the 84 lbs apiece and 50% usage like all lead acids except the Oasis. The thicker plates should be more cycles correct. So these batteries are $300 for 75 usable amps. Not really a deal IMHO. The specs say to excpect 500-1000 cycles if treated very well maybe lasting 5 years would be normal for a wet cell taken care of and de-sulfated

Insted of Lithium here’s an much better lead alternative than these golf carts. One of our 12 V Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM at 112 ah. They can be drawn down to 20% vs 50% opposed to golf cart meaning you can get 98 ah vs 75 from the golf cart.

Another advantage is they start out as having 3000 cycles in them. They also don’t have to brought back to 100% charge like the golf cart. If you don’t do that with lead acid batteries, all most all of the time you stunt their potential. And they won’t hold the 150 ah potential anymore. The Oasis don’t have that restriction.

I’ve been for 20 years a user of Lifeline 6 volts until I found these batteries.

Im not comparing to lithium here, just other Lead acids.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast