Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by No-ladder View Post
    Because you said you got stage 2 warnings
    I am going off topic here so I'll be brief
    Offsite storage of your back up stuff...another town preferably
    Fire proof safes are not fire proof! Unless you paid a lot for it, yes that means fire proof gun safes too
    Go when they say go! 85 people perished in my community, most in their cars, sitting in traffic jams
    That's good advice, thanks! We definitely have taken some steps since then to better prepare ourselves in the future. Between that and the ice storm and weeklong power outage we got a few months ago, we're having all of our disaster preparedness plans put to the test and the cracks exposed.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I think it’s Seattle where a judge ruled that RV’s on public streets are considered to be people’s homes. They are not subject to ticketing or towing.
    What a surprise......Seattle
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Austin was getting pretty bad, trashy squalor tent camps that stink to high heaven under the over passes, they even had a big fire at one of the camps inside a drainage tunnel, begging at nearly every stop light on Ben White Blvd. 6th street venues got really bad with stabbing's, fights and such between homeless people begging and assaulting tourist. Not good for SXSW, ACL, Formula 1 Racing and a host of other main Austin attractions. The State tried to do something about it, the Governor and Austin City Mayor Steve Adler were throwing words at each other, the city wouldn't do anything about it. The State donated a property to give the homeless a free safe place to camp even indoor facilities with running water, showers, transportation, assistance. Then they cleaned up the the horrible trashy under passes in Austin. But no the homeless wouldn't stay in the provided free camps, they moved back to the underpasses so they could continue to beg at stop lights and tie up traffic and now its worse than ever before.
    It doesn't surprise me this Texas bill has come up.
    Blame all the CA folks that relocated to Austin, and brought their "attitudes" with them, and now ruined Austin, after ruining CA and then leaving.
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    It's popping up in communities in PA too. One-size fits all approach overlooking the non-offending (I hope).
    Just like most all gun laws.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just like most all gun laws.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Just like all laws, period. We don't need to make this political.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as usual when I make an assumption I get called on it. I hadn't considered the mentally ill when I made my "bad life decisions" statement. Nor did I consider a disaster. My Social/Economic background, lack of education, and lack of exposure make it very difficult for me understand the why's of the problem. I hate it when my bigotry peeks out, I guess the folks behind bill 987 have a similar issue.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2011 the town of Van Horn Texas did this very thing, pressured by the local RV park owner over loss of revenue. It was illegal to park overnignt anywhere but in one of the local RV parks, which promptly raised their rates. It was all over RV.net for a long time and people were encouraged to not stop there for anything including fuel. I can't imagine how much money that tinhorn town lost over the greed of a few park owners.
    This current bill is another knee-jerk reaction and will be a disaster, like most things that government attempts to fix.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't know much about the bill but I suspect it has nothing to due with natural disasters like hurricanes and wildfires or whatever. And yes we lived through the Bastrop/Union Chapple wildfires back in 2011 where 17,000 acres and near 2000 homes were destroyed. The Union Chapple wildfire started 50 yards behind our house. We were evacuated 4 times because of reburns, but we got lucky, several of our friends were not. After we got our Imagine we practiced hitch and go, with a minimum hook up, throwing stuff in the back of the pickup, how fast we could hook and go. We got it down to less than 15 minutes starting with backing the truck under the hitch, the slides were always closed at home, we were 1/4 mile from a major 4 lane divided highway to get out of the area, then stop and full hook with the WDH. We lived on edge for several years after that and whenever it got dry and a drought in the area.

As far as the chronic homeless, I suspect there are many reasons how they got there, mental illness, school dropouts, abuse, family issues, drug addition, illegal's status, I'm sure the pandemic is a factor, or just lazy. But what to do about it other than stick them in an area where nobody can see them. Maybe that's what the bill is aimed at, out of site out of mind. I don't know.

I can only relate to Austin, I don't know what its like in other cities but Seems to me, I'm sure city Mayors would say they don't have the money to deal with it, their budgets are stretched to the limit now. Taxes are sky high now and nobody is going to vote for increased taxes to deal with the homeless. For cities there is no upside to dealing with the issue, its all cost and no gain, until the public and voters get sick and tired of it then you get bills like this.
    It would take an ongoing commitment in human resources, time and lots of money to deal with it. Even private charities couldn't deal with it alone. With the way the cost of living is around Austin, even with low income housing, and a less than $10/hour job sweeping sidewalks, cleaning up trash along streets, highways and such. For most or a lot of them their education or skills couldn't provide for much more if anything, even for some just riding garbage trucks. Most likely some of these people would never be employable, others with minimal employment would never make enough money to provide their own housing. So a camp or facility of some kind needs to be provided. That is what the State tried to do here in Austin but once it got cleaned up it came roaring back.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-23-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    Being a Texas resident I'm not opposed to this Bill. In our travels we have witnessed Wall Mart parking lots containing overnight, weekly, monthly etc. RV's that look pretty seedy. I would prefer to move those problems to an adjoining state LOL. I'm thinking it's better to take advantage of our state parks system or commercial camp grounds.
    NICE....if you don't see them they aren't a problem or have a problem.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I volunteer at Manna on Main St, a soup kitchen/food bank during holidays so that the regular staff gets a break and I have a humbling experience. I see mental health issues along with alcoholism and drug abuse, which by the way have long been considered a disease, as large contributing factors in homelessness. For the cold hearted I will say that it's difficult to make poor life choices when you have no choice. Minimum wage and rising rents due to housing shortages do not go well together. Face it low level manufacturing jobs are long gone in this country. Finding any job that pays a living wage if you don't have specific or special skills is also tough. In the last ten years this has become more and more a cause of displaced people. Also the system makes it difficult to get assistance because in person application is required which means not spending time looking for or at work.
    I have seen families that are scraping by trying to stay together. They take meals at the kitchen or get groceries at the food bank. I have seen parents who had to give their children up to social services because they couldn't care for them. Over the last holidays I became engaged with an elderly man, a proud man, living on a small Social Security stipend and found him a new recliner on Craigslist that he thought was the greatest.
    I try to help where I can to make small differences in others lives. I realize I won't change the world. I realize that a concerted effort is needed that many don't want to address. So maybe it would help if some with the big first world issues would get out and see for yourself rather than complain.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 04-24-2021 at 04:32 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast