User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad tires on new fifth wheel

We brought our 2021 reflection 278bh home October 2020 and stored it on the north side of our home shielded from the sun and weather. While checking tire pressure before our first trip last week we noticed small cracks between the side wall and treads on two of the Goodyear endurance tires. Date code 12/2019. Contacted the dealer, who then passed info to grand design. Waiting to hear back from the dealer. How can the tires possibly be bad already, everyone raves about the Goodyear’s. We put less than 200 miles on the tires. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated, this is our first trailer and don’t know the ins and outs of warranty issues. I was going to contact grand design myself also. Couldn’t find anything on the internet of someone having bad tire on their unit right away! I didn’t closely examine the tires when picking up the unit, assumed new tires would be in good condition.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems a bit soon for cracking on Goodyear tires. You've done the right thing, in my opinion. If you don't hear something back relatively soon, I would go ahead and contact GD directly. You can confirm that your dealer did, in fact, submit the issue to GD and, if not, get things rolling with GD on your own.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll be replaced under warranty. You will likely get a faster resolution speaking with GD yourself.

Once you see how the rigs are transported from the factory, you will gain a steep appreciation as to why the PDI should include a full suspension inspection.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For even quicker resolution look in your information pouch that has all the manuals, warranty cards and trailer data sheets for information on the Goodyear tires. In there is probably a warranty registration card too which you need to fill out and register. From experience I can say with almost certainty that GD will say you need to take it up with Goodyear. While looking through the pouch look for other items such as your appliances and axles that need to be registered, it saves time later.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Wicked ace;368395 From experience I can say with almost certainty that GD will say you need to take it up with Goodyear. [/QUOTE]

Yes. While waiting to hear from GD, talk with a local Goodyear dealer.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will register the tires (and all the appliances). Also give grand design and Goodyear a call. I’ll post an update once this is resolved.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackfish3 View Post
    We brought our 2021 reflection 278bh home October 2020 and stored it on the north side of our home shielded from the sun and weather. While checking tire pressure before our first trip last week we noticed small cracks between the side wall and treads on two of the Goodyear endurance tires. Date code 12/2019. Contacted the dealer, who then passed info to grand design. Waiting to hear back from the dealer. How can the tires possibly be bad already, everyone raves about the Goodyear’s. We put less than 200 miles on the tires. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated, this is our first trailer and don’t know the ins and outs of warranty issues. I was going to contact grand design myself also. Couldn’t find anything on the internet of someone having bad tire on their unit right away! I didn’t closely examine the tires when picking up the unit, assumed new tires would be in good condition.
    Generally speaking your tires are not covered under the warranty because bad things can happen to tires that are out of the Manufacturer's control. However, if the tires are defective from the factory, then they should be covered by the warranty. You should easily prove that they are defective if the damage is as bad as you say it is.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

We had a slightly different problem Jackfish. We purchased a brand new Reflection 31MB and didn't notice until our second trip out that our new goodyears had 2 bubbles on two of the tires. The bubbles were on the outside sidewalls. Just replaced one w our spare tonight as we leave tomorrow. Anyone else had this problem? They are 235 80r 16's.

Thank you kindly,

Don
    Last edited by darvin01; 09-15-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tires that were cracking are 225/75r15. After getting the run around from both grand design and the dealer we took the tires off the rv and took them directly to a Goodyear location. They did cover the cost of the 2 tires that showed weather cracking. We had the other 2 replace for piece of mind. Goodyear also had the tires in stock and the job was done the next day.

I’m not sure what you mean by bubbles but the sidewalls on trailer tires do have slight lumps. See the pictures in this post:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ts-225852.html

If the tires have a gumball shaped bubble that’s definitely not good and probably not safe to drive on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire1defect.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	36701

I currently have this "bulge" on all 4 of my GY Endurance tires. GY dealers say it's impact damage from travelling thru potholes, over curbs, etc.
    My guess it it happened when my trailer was towed from Indiana to the dealer in Tampa (trailer is only 1 month in my posession and I towed it 40 miles to me house).
    GD referred me to Lions Head who is warranteeing the 4 tires under their 1 year no excuses policy.
    I expect to see the tires later this week or early next week.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast