User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WE826 LTE Router Flash To The ROOTER Project

For anyone interested, proceed at your own risk, make sure you understand what you are doing.

The following is how to flash over the limited/locked down version of OpenWRT that comes installed on the WE826 LTE Router.

On your computer of choice set your ethernet port statically to the following.

Plug an ethernet cable into that port on your computer, and LAN port 1 on the WE826.

Power on the WE826 and click/hold the reset button for 3 to 5 seconds, this will put the router into failsafe mode and start a recovery http recovery server on LAN port 1 at ip address 192.168.1.1

Open your browser and browse to http://192.168.1.1

Download ROOTER firmware from here and flash

https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/downl...2020-03-01.zip

You now have full access to the hardware you purchased with your rig, you no longer receive the "buy an LTE plan through us" splash page when accessing the device, you are free to use any carrier and plan you choose.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always wanted to try rooting my Note 4, but was afraid of bricking it..now that it's not my main phone I might try

Everyone should know and cant stress enough you need be aware, if you don't fully understand what you are doing this could be fatal to your tablet that controls your RV
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I have always wanted to try rooting my Note 4, but was afraid of bricking it..now that it's not my main phone I might try

Everyone should know and cant stress enough you need be aware, if you don't fully understand what you are doing this could be fatal to your tablet that controls your RV
    I was an Android OS developer for 7 years (not for Google). What I've found is the newer the Android device and version, the harder it is to find a root exploit. I've also found that it is pretty difficult to brick a Samsung device. With Odin and the correct factory firmware, I've been able to recover every Samsung device that I have ever soft bricked. LG and Motorola, since they use Fastboot to load the firmware, not do much. I've bricked plenty of LG and Motorola phones in my time.

I just hate that sinking-feeling-in-your-gut when you power on the device and it doesn't look like anything happens...

Also, since this is a thread on flashing router firmware, I've flagged dozens of router with OpenWRT, WRT, Tomato, and other open source firmware.

What will caution is this: READ, READ, READ, the read some more. Make sure you are completely familiar with every step, and (like me sometimes) think you know what comes next and do it without the step-by-step instructions. I HAVE bricked a couple of routers doing that!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 05-15-2021 at 07:53 AM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Marshall27,

I am currently trying to flash my LCI router and it is not going to the firmware recovery page after reboot. Is there any update that you are aware of from LCI that makes their system less user modifiable? I purchased this one in November 2020.

P9

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pulse,

Make sure this is the WE826 LTE router, you are pressing the reset button and holding it down before/keep holding it down when you plug in the DC power cord to power it up... and plug your network cable from your laptop/computer to the first LAN port on the left if the ports are facing you... the yellow port on the complete opposite side of the device from the DC power port.

If you are following that pattern and still not successful then I would recommend plugging the network cable in each of the other ports to check if the recovery server possibly come up on a different port.

don't forget to set a static ip on the interface of your computer/laptop that you are using to plug into the router.

LCI explicitly went out of their way to prevent users from administering this device, it comes with their "opinionated" version of OpenWrt that was intentionally locked down to prevent any consumer-level administration... it was done, in my opinion intentionally, for the purposes of positioning themselves as an LTE reseller, in an attempt to give the impression that you must buy an LTE plan from them.

M
    Last edited by Marshal27; 06-16-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Marshall,

It is the WE826 router. I went through the reset sequence a few times. First try was unsuccessful and it still landed on the LCI Splash.

I have definitely done something. I no longer get to the splash page and the router no longer transmits the previously established SSID. I just can't get it to open a recovery page on 192.168.1.1.

I have my own ATT card to run in this thing, but I fear it may be bricked at this point.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt you have bricked it, you haven't flashed anything... possibly factory reset the firmware if anything... it's not a press and hold for 15 to 30 seconds until the leds turn off and then come back on, that is a true reset... just need to hold the reset button 2 to 3 seconds after leds come on during the bootloader process.

sent you a private message, check your inbox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Marshall,

I successfully flashed it to ROOTER. I see that I need to complete all of the fields to get this thing to connect to the ATT network and I am not certain where all of those fields are. I will do more research, but if you have direct experience with the ATT setup, feel free to call. I left my number in the PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a great Youtube video of a guy flashing this router:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNN_lsK1xE8

I just did my this morning and then went in and reset the SID and password back to the provided ones, although I did confirm that the SID can be anything as long as it starts with "MyRV_". I set them back, so that the sticker and everything matches and I won't need to enter them again once I get all the TV's, etc. connected to the wifi. I am waiting for a nano SIM card conversion kit to show up tomorrow and I'll try to insert my Verizon SIM card from my iPad into the SIM port. I am now hoping that this router supports Verizon, since I have seen both Verizon and non-Verizon versions of this router for sale online.

The last piece of setup is a hold over from my old trailer where I had a Weboost. If the rooftop antenna's don't provide enough signal, I am hoping that I can connect my Weboost antenna to the 3g/4g coax plugs on the LTE router and amp up the signal coming into the router, will know more tomorrow and will update whether I can get connected with Verizon.

Swifty
    Last edited by Swifty; 06-29-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my attempts to put my Verizon SIM card into the we826 (router) were unsuccessful! It recognized the SIM card, but never got an internet connection, so I am thinking this router only works on AT&T and TMobile networks. I am trying to get an AT&T SIM card to put in it and see if it works any better. In the meantime, I am writing this response from the back deck on my 395MS-R connected to my MyRV_ router with WiFi hotspot enabled on my flashed router. I after flashing the router using the information above, you can have your router connect to another hotspot, and right now I have my Verizon iPhone hotspot turned on and my router is picking up it’s internet from there. I am still hoping for the AT&T SIM card, since I think the 12 volt powered antenna will have more power to get a signal than my iPhone, especially when we are further out!

Happy 4th of July from Summit County Colorado!

Swiftly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast