User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Ladder Weight Limit

I searched the forum and did not find this question:

What is the weight limit for the roof ladder? I am a concerned consumer that is 6'7" and 300 lbs. We're picking up our new 315RLTS tomorrow. I grabbed the ladder on a sister 315 while I was on the lot the other day. Even hung on it just a bit. It seems sturdy enough. But I'm a guy who's lived his life in a world that caters to smaller persons - a.k.a. normal!
    I had a thought of bracing the bottom rung from the ground to help take some weight off the brackets.
    Any thoughts or assurances are most welcome!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on the roof of my trailer today putting dressing on seals & checking the roof. I'm 235# with no problem on the ladder. It does seem narrower than the the ladders on my previous trailers.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 6' 3" and 295 pounds and have the same concerns. The GD fifth wheels that I've looked at on the lot I've gone up on the ladders very slowly. I figure I'll be safe if there's no sudden movements.

Kevin
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have 90 pounds on me at 210. I can't prove it but I recall a weight limit of 300 pounds for RV ladders, because I am within that I totally forgot about it. I did a quick search on the 315, it appears the ladder type is solid and contains a connection on the top of the roof, this is different than my 376 where the ladder is hung on the side, but has a break in it to go over the edge. I mention this because a lot of the weight bearing properties come from that U shape at the top than connects to the roof. That is where most of your load bearing will be. Its a good thing.

So my advice to you is this; use the ladder. Watch the connecting screws to see if they are being pulled out. Watch the U shaped bow at the top to see if it changes. Watch where the ladder is connected on the roof to see if it starts to pull out. Climb gently knowing you are maxing out the limits. Don't bounce on the ladder. Don't carry extra stuff, use a rope pull up system once you are on the roof.

Think gentle giant thoughts while climbing. Watch for signs of failure. Fix and reinforce when necessary.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ladder has a 300 lb label under one of the rungs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ladder 300# Label.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	17366
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladder can hold a lot of weight but you can't attach anything heavy to it or it will ripe out screws going down road. This is permanent home for my dump tank. Use cheap ladder chair rack and straps to keep in place - the chair rack keeps dump tank from sliding down ladder while traveling. It has worked for me for 4 years without any problems. Learned hard way not to use ladder for bikes.