User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desperately need help with roof damage

My wife and I own a 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740. Today after washing it in storage, I went up on the roof and found a hole about the size of a quarter in the extreme right rear corner of the TPO roof. We haven't used the RV in several months and I did not see the hole when I went up on the roof last month. I have no clue how it got there or how long it has been there. I have zero experience with TPO roof material and frankly have no idea what to do...
    I did a lot of internet searching and if the hole was in the middle of the roof i would get a sealant like Dicor to patch it. This hole is on the extreme edge of the TPO so there probably isn't more than 1/4" of material to the rear where the fiberglass cap meets the roof and it is right on the edge of the "flat" part of the roof where it turns down the side. I know I have to get it sealed up, but am concerned that filling the hole with a sealant or laying a patch over it temporarily will impede a professional's job of repairing it. Thankfully there is no rain in the forecast for several days and i did put tape over the hole for tonight.
    I checked inside the RV and saw no indication of water damage on the ceiling or wall and smelled no mildew odor.
    Several questions come to mind... Do any of you know of a repair shop in the Tampa/Clearwater, Florida area that would repair the roof?
    We live about thirty miles from Lazydays, General RV, RV One and Camping World... I have no idea who to trust, not to mention how backed up these repair shops are... (Lazydays quoted me a three month wait just to get the wheel bearings repacked)
    How do I ensure that there is no water damage behind the walls?
    Anyone that perceives that I am in a semi-controlled state of panic has hit the nail on the head....
    Thank you in advance...
    Eric

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gulfstreamg5 View Post
    My wife and I own a 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740. Today after washing it in storage, I went up on the roof and found a hole about the size of a quarter in the extreme right rear corner of the TPO roof. We haven't used the RV in several months and I did not see the hole when I went up on the roof last month. I have no clue how it got there or how long it has been there. I have zero experience with TPO roof material and frankly have no idea what to do...
    I did a lot of internet searching and if the hole was in the middle of the roof i would get a sealant like Dicor to patch it. This hole is on the extreme edge of the TPO so there probably isn't more than 1/4" of material to the rear where the fiberglass cap meets the roof and it is right on the edge of the "flat" part of the roof where it turns down the side. I know I have to get it sealed up, but am concerned that filling the hole with a sealant or laying a patch over it temporarily will impede a professional's job of repairing it. Thankfully there is no rain in the forecast for several days and i did put tape over the hole for tonight.
    I checked inside the RV and saw no indication of water damage on the ceiling or wall and smelled no mildew odor.
    Several questions come to mind... Do any of you know of a repair shop in the Tampa/Clearwater, Florida area that would repair the roof?
    We live about thirty miles from Lazydays, General RV, RV One and Camping World... I have no idea who to trust, not to mention how backed up these repair shops are... (Lazydays quoted me a three month wait just to get the wheel bearings repacked)
    How do I ensure that there is no water damage behind the walls?
    Anyone that perceives that I am in a semi-controlled state of panic has hit the nail on the head....
    Thank you in advance...
    Eric
    Eternabond tape. Done

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, patch of Eternabond maybe even lap sealant the edges. If you cannot get Eternabond immediately, put a piece of black Gorilla tape over it as you can buy that at any hardware store. If you don't see water stains inside, good sign. Poke the roof deck where the hole is, and if it's solid don't stress any longer. Just patch and camp on!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies...!
    Because the hole is soooo close to the edge of the TPO (where the TPO meets the fiberglass(?) rear cap) should I put the Eternabond over BOTH the TPO and the rear cap material? I am afraid there is not enough TPO material to allow for a good bond with the tape.
    Ha... You can tell this IS my first rodeo...

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the hole is soooo close to the edge of the TPO (where the TPO meets the fiberglass(?) rear cap) should I put the Eternabond over BOTH the TPO and the rear cap material? I am afraid there is not enough TPO material to allow for a good bond with the tape.
    Yes, you can bridge it over. It will adhere well to both materials when properly prepared per the instructions.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that info!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said there was 1/4 inch of good roof roughly. Should be enough without going over the cap but either way won’t hurt

Once eternabond is placed it is there for good

Follow the directions for the eternabond

It is unreal sticky

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since it is so close to the edge, it may be worthwhile to remove a small section of the termination bar and add a piece of TPO to that area and run it under the termination bar. Close up the term bar and put the eternabond over that. Seems like it would be overkill but it’s not, this gives you a watertight seal over the entire area.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! The termination bar is the strip along the side of the RV?? Headed back out there tomorrow after work to try to make a better assessment of the damage...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the termination bar is where the roof meets the side.

There is a process called heat welding. A small piece of the TPO over the original roof along with a heat gun will Weld the two pieces together. Word of caution, most manufacturers do not use material thick enough to weld. Next best is to glue a piece over the damaged area after cleaning very well and priming.

Once you have the new piece of TPO in you can do two layers of caulking and reinstall the term bar.

Extra measure is to put eternabond tape over the exposed edges of the patch.

Make sure you have at least a couple of inches of patch around the damaged area. Make sure the eternabond extends that by at least an inch around the patch.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast