User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soft Start included in the Coleman-Mach Air Conditioner?

I recently took my Reflection 150 Series 295RL in for servicing and to take care of some little fixes that were on my "deferred maintenance" list. Had a great experience . . . less than two weeks and a reasonable final bill.

One of the items on my list was to install soft start kits on the two Coleman-Mach air conditioners. One is a 48000 series and the other is a 45000 series. The service advisor said they opened up both AC units and both already had soft start kits installed (I bought the fifth wheel new). Does anyone know if GD is including soft start with their fifth wheels? I cannot find any mention of soft start in the documentation and to me, it would be an additional selling feature.

I will go out in the next few days to verify with my eyes because I tried to run one AC last year using the 30A service in the storage facility and I blew a circuit breaker in the trailer leading me to believe I needed to get soft start . . .

Thanks!
    Bob
    Bob & Belinda
    Part timers headed to full timing, based in Mansfield, TX
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL with Trailair Turning Point
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 High Country, 4x4, SRW, B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong, but I don't know of any of the GD trailers that come from the factory with a soft start of any kind or brand.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert58 View Post
    I recently took my Reflection 150 Series 295RL in for servicing and to take care of some little fixes that were on my "deferred maintenance" list. Had a great experience . . . less than two weeks and a reasonable final bill.

One of the items on my list was to install soft start kits on the two Coleman-Mach air conditioners. One is a 48000 series and the other is a 45000 series. The service advisor said they opened up both AC units and both already had soft start kits installed (I bought the fifth wheel new). Does anyone know if GD is including soft start with their fifth wheels? I cannot find any mention of soft start in the documentation and to me, it would be an additional selling feature.

I will go out in the next few days to verify with my eyes because I tried to run one AC last year using the 30A service in the storage facility and I blew a circuit breaker in the trailer leading me to believe I needed to get soft start . . .

Thanks!
    Bob
    That would be odd since Coleman-Mach says a soft start voids the warranty. I also have a 150 series, had to install my own soft start. Let us know what your own eyes see when you check.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my knowledge, no manufacturer pre-installs soft-starts as they are not approved by the unit manufacturers. FWIW - you no longer need to go with hardwired soft starts on each unit. There's a portable plugin that works well.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldnt think they would on the lower end models like the 150 series. Pretty easy to verify though.... climb up on the roof and remove one of the covers and check for yourself. The Soft Start should be easily noticeable.

We have a 2019 295RL, and I installed my own Soft Starts. The amp usage at startup was half of what the OEM setup uses. Well worth installing one if you truely dont have one.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think some of the Coleman Machs have capacitors from the factory installed. Not quite a softstart but I know the start up draws were considerably less than other rooftop units without the soft starts. I never install softstarts because I didn't have issues with running units off inverters.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I think some of the Coleman Machs have capacitors from the factory installed. Not quite a softstart but I know the start up draws were considerably less than other rooftop units without the soft starts. I never install softstarts because I didn't have issues with running units off inverters.
    All motors like that have a capacitor for starting, unless they are old style and have a dedicated start winding and run winding...which I seriously doubt
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Furrion starts on 15 amps no problem with other things running as well
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    All motors like that have a capacitor for starting, unless they are old style and have a dedicated start winding and run winding...which I seriously doubt
    I meant in addition to. It was a discussion I came across on another forum. Here's the link from that discussion. Whether or not it came from GD this way, I'm not sure. I always wondered about the softstart voiding warranty when Coleman sells a softstart kit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    That would be odd since Coleman-Mach says a soft start voids the warranty. I also have a 150 series, had to install my own soft start. Let us know what your own eyes see when you check.
    This is true unless you buy/install the Coleman Mach Soft Starts.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast