User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I recommend the Progressive Dynamics brand with about 90 amps, or more.

OEMs do not install the highest amp Converters, they install the lowest cost solution for them. Additionally, your new Lithium batteries are capable of charging very fast, so why would you want to extend your charging time with a lower amperage Converter. If you are spending the money anyway, make it better.
    That leads me to another question, how do I know the point my wiring would not be sufficient for higher amp charger? I agree with what you are saying, just not sure I want to tackle wiring at this time. (getting things ready to go full time in 2 weeks, so busy). Thanks
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2021 Chevy 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Long Bed DRW

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma1973 View Post
    That leads me to another question, how do I know the point my wiring would not be sufficient for higher amp charger? I agree with what you are saying, just not sure I want to tackle wiring at this time. (getting things ready to go full time in 2 weeks, so busy). Thanks
    Refer to the attached wiring chart:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color Wire Size Chart.jpg  
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OEMs do not install the highest amp Converters, they install the lowest cost solution for them. Additionally, your new Lithium batteries are capable of charging very fast, so why would you want to extend your charging time with a lower amperage Converter. If you are spending the money anyway, make it better.
    I went with the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV. It is a 60 amp lithium only unit that has two charging stages - 14.6v and 13.6v. Unlike some chargers, the voltages on this one are not adjustable - check the specs on your battery to be sure it is compatible. Some batteries don’t like the 14.6. This charger also can be a little fickle when you add additional charging sources (see document in the link below). If you understand how it works, it isn’t really a problem. If you stay on shore power for an extended period of time, the Charger can get stuck in “idle” mode - 13.6v if it senses a robust secondary charging source such as a large solar array or DC - DC Charger. When you cycle the shore power, the charger resets. You can also install their $15 charge wizard and force a reset without cycling the power. Mine is still sitting on the bench so I haven’t actually been able to test this yet.

I went with the 60amp versions for a couple of reasons. My LiFePo4 (per documentation) prefers a charge rate of 60 amps or less. Max is 100. With a single battery, a higher output unit would risk damaging the battery. I also wanted to use the existing circuitry and location. My 303 came with a Progressive Dynamics PD9260C so this is a direct replacement. Some people want to move the charger closer to the battery. This can definitely be advantageous if you have a large battery bank as the charger will split the load between all of the batteries and push a lot of amps in that direction (also a good reason for going with a higher output unit). For my needs, the converter/charger will primarily function as a converter feeding all of the 12v circuits in the RV. The largest draw coming from the 16CuFt 12v refrigerator. The battery charge rate will be minimal while on shore power.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...ge-lithium.pdf
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave,
    I did some researching on PD's site. From what I can find, it looks like an 80 amp is the biggest option (PD9180ALV). Am I missing something?
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2021 Chevy 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Long Bed DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,
    I did some researching on PD's site. From what I can find, it looks like an 80 amp is the biggest option (PD9180ALV). Am I missing something?
    There are others like this one that I installed which are 120A.......https://powermaxconverters.com/produ...ithium-series/
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,
    80 amps would work.

I haven't shopped for a converter for years, so I don’t know what are the current models. I did think they had a 100amp converter though.

Just to give you some point of reference, I charge my big battery bank with only 100 amps. However, I rely primarily on my Solar system to charge my battery bank and, I have never needed to run the generator just to charge my batteries. As a matter of fact, my charger only charges my batteries to a reasonably low (maybe 70%) SOC, the Solar system is what brings my batteries to 100% SOC.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount of information for lithium is insane. I have been searching and reading, but not really finding a good answer for my question. So here it goes:
    I am installing 2 new 100ah lithiums. My controller can be set to lithium for the solar charge. My converter/charger is not lithium capable. I understand that it will still charge the batteries, just not to their full capacity. My main reason for lithium is for boondocking, here and there. So, I am wondering if a best choice for me it to start with a DC to DC charger so that while moving from one spot to another, the batteries will get charged by the truck alternator. While on shore power I would not be so worried about charging all the way and my solar should take the batteries closer to full. But, if boondocking and moving to another spot without shore power the batteries would get a boost/charge from the truck. Am I thinking somewhat logically? or maybe I have missed a converter/charger option that can do both?
    At some point I will replace the AC converter/charger, but thinking maybe to start go with the DC to DC?
    If you are going to use a generator or shore power to charge the batteries you will need a new convertor. Especially if you are going to use a generator. Your old converter will not charge the Lithium batteries to full charge and will take a very long time. A Lithium capable converter will charge to full capacity and will do so in a much shorter time.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12