User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...2&action=click

This very simple short video demonstrates the tongue weight dilemma.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...2&action=click

This very simple short video demonstrates the tongue weight dilemma.
    Thanks! Just showed this to my wife. Now we're getting a 250 for sure!!

Eric

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV/Truck newbies here and need some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by eveilleu View Post
    Thanks! Just showed this to my wife. Now we're getting a 250 for sure!!

Eric
    Okay. Good idea if that is what you want to have but unsure what you took from these videos?

A bigger truck will not stop sway

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    . . . You should never adjust TW to fit a tow vehicle. TW needs to be based on trailer weight

Light tongue weights are almost 100 percent responsible for sway. Heavy tongues do not sway

Physics don’t allow it
    Never say never!!

I agree that tongue weight needs to be based on trailer weight, 10 - 15 % according to my RVs owners manual as well as my tow vehicles owners manual, and pretty much any guidance on this I’ve ever seen anywhere. I never said otherwise, but the tongues weight must also not cause the tow vehicle to exceed its applicable limits. I’ve seen nothing in your statement that would contradict adjusting the tongue weight to meet all the applicable limits.

Other than just stating it, to use your own expression, do you have any article or other evidence proving this?

Tongues that are TOO light will cause sway. Heavy tounges may not cause sway but those that are TOO heavy can exceed the tow vehicle’s payload, axle ratings, tire ratings, hitch ratings, not to mention the guidance in both the vehicles owners manuals.

Nothing in Newtonian’s physics is violated and relativistic physics is just not relavent in this case.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. Good idea if that is what you want to have but unsure what you took from these videos?

A bigger truck will not stop sway
    We took from this video that we need to make sure we have enough weight up front. That means more payload requirements. So there you go, we need more truck than what we thought of initially. We were heading in the different direction, trying to figure out ways to have less weight on the truck.

Eric

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to stop the tail wagging the dog. Good Explanation. First....don’t have the combo over the payload capacity. But....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0ndz...re=emb_rel_end
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV/Truck newbies here and need some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Never say never!!

I agree that tongue weight needs to be based on trailer weight, 10 - 15 % according to my RVs owners manual as well as my tow vehicles owners manual, and pretty much any guidance on this I’ve ever seen anywhere. I never said otherwise, but the tongues weight must also not cause the tow vehicle to exceed its applicable limits. I’ve seen nothing in your statement that would contradict adjusting the tongue weight to meet all the applicable limits.

Other than just stating it, to use your own expression, do you have any article or other evidence proving this?

Tongues that are TOO light will cause sway. Heavy tounges may not cause sway but those that are TOO heavy can exceed the tow vehicle’s payload, axle ratings, tire ratings, hitch ratings, not to mention the guidance in both the vehicles owners manuals.

Nothing in Newtonian’s physics is violated and relativistic physics is just not relavent in this case.
    I would rather “overload” the suggested payload of a vehicle before I would attempt to lighten a tongue

You do you but any attempts to lighten a tongue to match a vehicle is disastrous

And 10 percent is not enough

When the wind hits the front of a trailer it lifts the tongue decreasing weight and control

Boats can have 10 percent not a tt

Sway is caused by improper loading. Period. Having a heavy tongue will eliminate sway

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-05-2021 at 07:52 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    How to stop the tail wagging the dog. Good Explanation. First....don’t have the combo over the payload capacity. But....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0ndz...re=emb_rel_end
    You keep saying this but being over payload does not cause sway
    This statement will have people believing they should lighten the tongue weight which will create sway
    Payload capacity has nothing to do with it

Yes yes I know what you are getting at. “Don’t exceed the limits”
    But these are two entirely different issues

Sway is caused by improper loading

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You keep saying this but being over payload does not cause sway
    This statement will have people believing they should lighten the tongue weight which will create sway
    Payload capacity has nothing to do with it

Yes yes I know what you are getting at. “Don’t exceed the limits”
    But these are two entirely different issues

Sway is caused by improper loading

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Improper loading for sure. Additionally, when we had our 297RSTS (which I towed VERY WELL with a 1500 Silverado) it towed best with about 1/2 tank of fresh water for our setup. I used a 1500# Husky Centerline hitch and it towed rock steady like a dream. You definitely have to watch what you load in the rear of the trailer, keep more weight up front, and stay within your truck capacity. (The 1500 Silverado could EASILY pull the Reflection we had, and it had a payload capacity of 2031#, and we were well within that on the 297RSTS)

MY ADVICE (from a comedian/Polka aficionado) is to try and not become a member of the two truck club. Maybe someday we will be allowed to visit the Great White North again for some poutine. Have a good one!
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 DRW 4x4 CC XL 176" WB 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would rather “overload” the suggested payload of a vehicle before I would attempt to lighten a tongue

You do you but any attempts to lighten a tongue to match a vehicle is disastrous

And 10 percent is not enough

When the wind hits the front of a trailer it lifts the tongue decreasing weight and control

Boats can have 10 percent not a tt

Sway is caused by improper loading. Period. Having a heavy tongue will eliminate sway

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I could point out the multiple weaknesses in your argument, point by point, but that would likely just turn into mockery. I’m comfortable with having my RV’s tongue weight and tow vehicle’s weights within all limits. No sway and no disaster.

Clearly you are comfortable being tongue heavy even it it means exceeding other applicable limits.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast