User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that you opted for the Rocker/Recliners in your new rig...we just got a 337 and also got the R/R's. How do you like them? Do you find it difficult to un-recline them? Is it difficult to get full recline, since they are not wall huggers, have to be pulled out from the wall for recline, then they end up half on/half off the slide section, right where it drops off!
    I have been considering trying to fabricate some type of temp floor/slide extension for use while camped so the chairs can sit level and still allow reclining.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona
    2014 GD Reflection 337RLS #353
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD- Duramax/Allison

ctangolf
    Ok, I'll bite. I paid $38,000 + $125 for a stocking fee and temp-tags. Before I purchased I looked at so many forums hoping that others would have spoken up about this, but very few did. I did however get some really good advice. Like so many have already said, start at 30% of MSRP. Also don't take the dealers word on what MSRP is, if you go on the Grand Design website or email them they will send you a price sheet that has the MSRP along with all of the option prices. Once you have that, talk to multiple dealers. I sent an email to about 5 dealers with what I wanted and an offer. I also stipulated that my offer and any counter offer they sent would be an out the door price. (How often has someone thought they had worked a great deal only to have the dealer tack on charge after charge?)Of those 5, all responded and after the first round of negotiations only 2 were willing to deal. At that point we went back and forth about 6 times before I was satisfied. I like to think I got a good deal. If everyone was a little more upfront about this stuff we won't be at the mercy of the dealer. The dealer needs to make a living and I respect that, but too often customers get taken because they are not informed. My dealer told me more than once, "This is the best deal I can give you". I'm glad I stuck it out.....it was nerve racking though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the dealers quoted us a price with trade within $100 of each other. To put that in perspective, that's about one day of camping or so. Don't forget to factor in probably $.50 a mile for 2 or 3 trips to the dealer.

What you really can't put a price on is how the dealer treats customers after the sale, especially for service. I am very pleased with our dealer, and very glad we have not had experiences like TusconJim.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 100% with 2hams. My philosophy is to look at 3-5 dealers around the country (within a reasonable distance), compare their initial "out the door price", then seriously talk to the dealer I believe will provide service after the sale. If I save $1k initially and can't get good service later, that's not a savings. I paid about $2k more for the unit I have now than I originally intended to pay, but made the decision based on anticipated service and the fact that over the life-time expectancy that the unit will be with me, the cost was not unreasonable. Buy Quality, not quantity and most likely you'll be happy!
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

ctangolf
    I tend to think differently.....most likely because I move every three years. For me the best deal is the the most important. I could care less about the service department as it pertains to the buying of an rv....or a car for that matter. I have had my rv serviced all over the country and the color of my money was the same everywhere. I do my research and take my rig and my cars to the best repair facilities. In this day and age with reviews for everything their is no reason to be stuck with bad or even mediocre service. I also never care about what the dealer quote is. I contact them and make an offer, they counter offer and we go from there. I have had dealers that flat out refuse to work that way.....fine with me. Remember, you want the rv but they NEED your money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When under warranty I have had a dealer refuse service. They didn't want to do warranty work unless the trailer was purchased from them. Keystone said they can do that if they want to. So I am a little leery of the statement you can take it anywhere you want to at least when its under warranty. That hasn't been my experience. I have also been told that I go to the end of the line and the dealer will take care of its regular customers first. Dealer said two months before they could even look at it. Without a warranty I am sure any dealer would gladly take your money.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ctangolf - It sounds like you may be in the military with a transfer every 3 yrs. I'm extremely familiar with the 3yr rotation and agree with you if a person moves often, as you described. As mtpocket said, most dealers I have dealt with do not favor warranty work on units (regardless of brand) they did not sell, possibly because they feel their prospects of selling a unit to the owner in the future is also slim. Non-warranty work is usually received well due to the pricing structure the dealer (both RV and auto) can charge, but again the majority will place a "loyal customer" ahead of a "never seen before" customer.
    That's just my experience and thankfully I've had a lot of experiences .... which only means - I'm old! (and retired)

Now for a non-paid, non-financial interest advertisement: Lowe Chevrolet dealership in Waynesville, MO; close to Ft Leonardwood, MO - They provided service never before seen for a minimum fee although they were not the seller of my truck. They were the exception everyone hears about and wants to find. That was 15 yrs ago & I have no idea how they are today.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjs2500hd View Post
    New to the forum. I am wanting a new 303. Love the floor plan and grand design as a company. If I can ask? How much did you pay for yours? I would want the free standing table and theater seating. MSRP is so confusing.
    Thanks

25-30% off MSRP is a good starting offer. There are a few other factors as well.

1) Is it important to have a dealer near by - If so thats a cost you need to factor in. If you surf the internet you will find competitive prices all over the country.

2) Are you paying cash or financing? Believe it or not financing is better from the dealer perspective than cash. The dealer gets an additional 2-4% of the finance amount from the lender as a kind of “finders fee”.

3) Trade in’s. Some dealers do a better job of moving trade in than others. If they have a lot full of trade in’s you may not get that good of a deal on your trade in. Traditionally trade ins have a higher sales margin than new, (something in the 30-40 percent range), so it’s better in some cases for a dealer to be in the used trailer business that the new side.

4) Getting the manufactures MSRP sticker on the unit. I have no idea why some dealers do not provide it. I have been to two who just look at you funny when you ask to see it. In a few cases a dealer will “mock up” one. Make sure it’s the original MSRP window sticker that is provided to every dealer.

5) RV Shows - I have never heard someone who bought at an RV show who has been upset about the sale price. Shows in the beginning of the selling season, (Jan-March), and at the end of the selling season, (Aug-Oct), get the best sales prices.

6) How long has the unit been on the lot. Believe it or not it makes a difference. The selling dealer does not “own” the unit. It is financed by a “flooring” company. This is a financial company that pays for his inventory from the manufacture to put the unit on the lot. In turn the dealer pays a percent of his total floored units, (around 2-3% a month), until the unit sells. So the landed cost of the RV can go up the longer it sits on the lot. t’s a continuing balance between “quick sale - lower margin” product and “hold and get higher margin” ones.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjs2500hd View Post
    New to the forum. I am wanting a new 303. Love the floor plan and grand design as a company. If I can ask? How much did you pay for yours? I would want the free standing table and theater seating. MSRP is so confusing.
    Thanks
    $39,000.00 for ours.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eaglehead - What was the MSRP?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast