User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: N. GA Mountains

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    Many times with a 38' Montana and a 43' Jayco. I use to pick up my granddaughter on the north side of Atlanta and that was the shortest way. The mountain is hard on vehicle but it's not that long of a climb. Now that she is in college I go 75 north to 575 north. Four lane all the way except for the last 16 miles. Easy pull. The way you are going is going to be a long slow ride but I'm not doing the driving. You do what's more confrontable for you. I still work so my trips are get there as fast as I can so I have more camping time at the site so I take expressway when possible.
    I’m with Cannon07!
    Since your staying in Perry, I would take I-75N. to I-285W. around to I-75N. to I-575N. until it turns into 515 Appalachian Hwy.. Nice wide roads, plenty of places to pull out and except for the time around Atl. easy on the eyes scenery. There is never a good time to take on that Atlanta drive at most 1 1/2 hrs. of the drive, sometime before 0500 and after 1000 for that approach to I-285W. is about as good as it gets. Going through downtown Atl. is not to bad a few curves that need to be respected but well marked for following I-75 North.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    You got me lost with all those directions but I will give a little insite. On my way from NE Tennessee to Brunswick Ga last fall, along the Savannah River that divides Ga. and SC I found are many COE campgrounds. I stayed at Petersburg Campground finding myself really impressed with it. Augusta is only 20 or so miles away and a nice town to spend some time wandering.
    Petersburg looks nice, thanks!

That might be an idea as I'd rather go up I95N anyway and then cut NW. Have you ever stayed at Big Hart Campground outside Augusta?

Thats right off that route and looks pretty good as well.

Also, coming in from that direction I won't be tempted to hop the mountain on GA-75, something I can guarantee
    my wife will appreciate!

Thanks to all who have weighed in
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    Petersburg looks nice, thanks!

That might be an idea as I'd rather go up I95N anyway and then cut NW. Have you ever stayed at Big Hart Campground outside Augusta?

Thats right off that route and looks pretty good as well.

Also, coming in from that direction I won't be tempted to hop the mountain on GA-75, something I can guarantee
    my wife will appreciate!

Thanks to all who have weighed in
    If you are open to going up I-95 there is a good alternative. I-95 to I-16 W. I-16 to 441 at Dublin GA. 441 N to I-20. I-20 w to Hwy 11N at Social Circle.
    From there you have lots of alternatives. We go to Monroe, Winder to Gainesville GA. From there you have lots of alternatives.
    Hope this helps.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    I’m with Cannon07!
    Since your staying in Perry, I would take I-75N. to I-285W. around to I-75N. to I-575N. until it turns into 515 Appalachian Hwy.. Nice wide roads, plenty of places to pull out and except for the time around Atl. easy on the eyes scenery. There is never a good time to take on that Atlanta drive at most 1 1/2 hrs. of the drive, sometime before 0500 and after 1000 for that approach to I-285W. is about as good as it gets. Going through downtown Atl. is not to bad a few curves that need to be respected but well marked for following I-75 North.
    The gets my vote too. Hard to say what time would be best. Maybe after 10:00 a.m. and before 3:00 p.m. on a weekday. On a weekend just check google maps for any congestion spots; maybe directly through ATL would work then. I've done it many times and different ways through/around depending on traffic.

It could be worse. You could be trying to get through Chattanooga!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you enjoy heavy traffic and congestion, avoid ATL at all costs.

I spent over three years traveling between woestern SC and south eastern TN every week. With no traffic backups and going thru ATL, it was juat about 3 1/2 hrs but always heavy traffic. With traffic backup it could be 5, 6 hrs, or more.

Just chose to go over the mountains and avoid ATL. Always about 4 hours, no stress, and much better scenery.

For over 30 years, there has always been road construction going near ATL.

2020 2600RB,
    2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Unless you enjoy heavy traffic and congestion, avoid ATL at all costs.

I spent over three years traveling between woestern SC and south eastern TN every week. With no traffic backups and going thru ATL, it was juat about 3 1/2 hrs but always heavy traffic. With traffic backup it could be 5, 6 hrs, or more.

Just chose to go over the mountains and avoid ATL. Always about 4 hours, no stress, and much better scenery.

For over 30 years, there has always been road construction going near ATL.

2020 2600RB,
    How can you say that when you don't even live here. I've lived here 61 years. It's all about timing. Don't go thru at rush hr. I've also set in a wreck at Greenville SC that cost me an 1 1/2. Even in rush hr I can get thru in 1 1/2 hrs. Still better that an extra 3hr going 100miles out of the way on 2 lanes with tons of red lights.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. GA Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    How can you say that when you don't even live here. I've lived here 61 years. It's all about timing. Don't go thru at rush hr. I've also set in a wreck at Greenville SC that cost me an 1 1/2. Even in rush hr I can get thru in 1 1/2 hrs. Still better that an extra 3hr going 100miles out of the way on 2 lanes with tons of red lights.
    You’re used to it and choose to tolerate it. I am not and choose not to tolerate it. I choose to avoid the stress and see something different than mile after mile of interstate sameness.

The OP was looking for advice on getting to the North GA mountains. I gave him my advice. They can heed it or not.

I also avoid the Interstate going to Greenville. It’s not that hard getting to the North GA mountains AND bypass Atlanta. Not that hard to avoid Greenville’s heavy traffic routes either. My GPSs are all set to avoid highways.

2020 2600RB,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    Thanks to all for your replies! very much appreciated.
    Looking at the options, Thinking 75N from Perry to 83N at Forsyth exit connecting to 441 in Madison, take bypass @Athens, continue 441/23 in to Clayton then 76W into Hiawassee.

Looking at Google Maps, GA 75 over the mountain from Helen has switchbacks around Andrews creek I do not even want to attempt being 55' long.

Thoughts?

Has anyone towed a big 5th Wheel from Helen to Hiawassee? On GA75?
    I tow a 41' 376. We live in Blairsville, GA just west of Hiawassee. I don't like 75 north of Helen. We just pick up 129 in Macon and take it straight into Blairsville. There is only one mountain climb ( Blood Mountain) and it's not that bad. It's a climb but the speed limit is 35. The turns are not as sharp as 75 and much of the uphill side has a passing lane which allows traffic to pass if needed. But traffic is usually light. The downside is about half as long as the uphill. Trucks and RVs run Blood Mountain all the time. I find the drive from Macon up much more relaxing than going around Atlanta and it does not add much time to the trip.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    I tow a 41' 376. We live in Blairsville, GA just west of Hiawassee. I don't like 75 north of Helen. We just pick up 129 in Macon and take it straight into Blairsville. There is only one mountain climb ( Blood Mountain) and it's not that bad. It's a climb but the speed limit is 35. The turns are not as sharp as 75 and much of the uphill side has a passing lane which allows traffic to pass if needed. But traffic is usually light. The downside is about half as long as the uphill. Trucks and RVs run Blood Mountain all the time. I find the drive from Macon up much more relaxing than going around Atlanta and it does not add much time to the trip.
    Thank you for your input!
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not go up Blood Mountain on a bet! Switch backs for 7 miles! We always go 575 to 515 all the way to Hiawassee, 4 lane great roads. Only issue is there is a 12 mile stretch between Blueridge to Blairsville that has a concrete highway that will cause your rig to porpoise. Atlanta is not that bad if you go through early.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast