User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always a Surprise Awaiting!

We just returned from our last trip. Opening up our Solitude 2930 we were greeted by broken glass all over the floor. Somehow the microwave opened while traveling and flung the glass plate out breaking it. Surprisingly the microwave door was shut. I guess bouncing down the road opened and shut the door. No major damage just a mess to cleanup. Moving into the bedroom we were greeted by a large piece of ceiling trim laying on the bed. The trim mounts in front of the front cap pull down shade. Almost spans the width of the ceiling and rather heavy. I can only imagine if it dropped on us or our little Shitzu while asleep. Would definitely been a wake call. Unbelievably that it was only fastened into the thin ceiling panels with 5 thin staples. Not enough to hold the weight. I plan to glue it in place. Never know it came off. If you have an heavy trim pieces over your head I strongly suggest adding checking them to your to do list.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    We just returned from our last trip. Opening up our Solitude 2930 we were greeted by broken glass all over the floor. Somehow the microwave opened while traveling and flung the glass plate out breaking it. Surprisingly the microwave door was shut. I guess bouncing down the road opened and shut the door. No major damage just a mess to cleanup. Moving into the bedroom we were greeted by a large piece of ceiling trim laying on the bed. The trim mounts in front of the front cap pull down shade. Almost spans the width of the ceiling and rather heavy. I can only imagine if it dropped on us or our little Shitzu while asleep. Would definitely been a wake call. Unbelievably that it was only fastened into the thin ceiling panels with 5 thin staples. Not enough to hold the weight. I plan to glue it in place. Never know it came off. If you have an heavy trim pieces over your head I strongly suggest adding checking them to your to do list.
    I made a quilted holder for the microwave plate. I haven't figured out how to latch the microwave door so that it can't open (due to vibration/bouncing on the road), so I figured this was the best I could do, containing whatever breakage might occur if it flies out. I suppose I could actually just take the plate out and put it somewhere else.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same surprise with our 2021 2930RL. The windshield trim piece came loose and is just hanging. Its hard to imagine that they would just put those thin staples in it. I was going to use brown colored trim screw that have a small head the size of a finishing nail. Probably use 1in or 1 1/4 in. That way the screw would bite down. I would predrill the holes.I would also put some glue on it. Each day we travel we wonder what is the next thing to happen. I thought problems come in 3 s but I am way past that. Let me know how your repair went and I will do the same
    Jim Bonhote, 2021 Solitude 2930RL, 2015 F350 Platinum Crew Cab, B&W Companion Sliding Hitch, Firestone Air Bags.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    Sounds like you fell victim of the traveling RV gremlins. They only come out when the rig is rolling. So far, knock on wood, they opened the fridge door once and threw a mayo and mustard jar on the floor, a few open drawers, shoes all over and a speaker cover that fell.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I made a quilted holder for the microwave plate. I haven't figured out how to latch the microwave door so that it can't open (due to vibration/bouncing on the road), so I figured this was the best I could do, containing whatever breakage might occur if it flies out. I suppose I could actually just take the plate out and put it somewhere else.
    We did similar but the Furrion popped open again and the padded dish fell into the sink leaving a small ding. So we now store the microwave carousel plate in the oven on travel days. I tried using little Command hook along the bottom edge - one on the door and one below the keypad - with a reusable tie to connect them. Unfortunately, steam from cooking loosened them.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've learned the hard way over the years so now if it can fall and break, it gets wrapped in towels or blankets and get placed in a storage tub or wherever the least likely place is for it to break. We even wrap up our shower head with a towel and attach it to the hose near that little ring that holds the hose to the wall so it doesn't swing around much. We had one that popped out of it's holder and cracked the shower wall on our previous rig. An extra 10 minutes of set up/tear down is worth it.

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW. We store a couch pillow in the "cleaned microwave" when we travel. It keeps the carousel platter firmly in place and if the door did open, would stop it from coming out. Heck maybe our microwave door has opened and closed and we do not even know about it
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only put the glass platter in the microwave when we are using it. Otherwise, it goes into the vertical storage by the oven, along with the sink covers and the stone that we use in the oven. It just becomes a habit to reach down and get what we want, when we need it, then put it back away.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    We only put the glass platter in the microwave when we are using it. Otherwise, it goes into the vertical storage by the oven, along with the sink covers and the stone that we use in the oven. It just becomes a habit to reach down and get what we want, when we need it, then put it back away.
    Wish we had a vertical storage by the oven. Only place the microwave plate will fit is in the regular oven, or under the sink.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did pick up some small 1 1/4 in finishing screws with torx head and put them around. The inside trim piece seems to be holding very well now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast