User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been happy with our T-Mobile 55+ plan. For a while I had Verizon while my wife had the T-Mobile plan and in our travels never found one having better coverage over the other and so I left Verizon for T-Mobile on my wife's plan.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    With the 40Gb of data, do you have plenty of capacity? We don't watch live TV so it's always Netflix, YouTube, etc. But since we've never used cell service to stream that stuff, I'm not sure if 40Gb is more than we need or if watching say a few hours a day requires more than 40Gb/month. What has been your experience?
    According to Netflix. SD uses about 1gb per hour, HD uses around 3GB per hour and 4k Uses 7GB per hour.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 40Gb of data, do you have plenty of capacity? We don't watch live TV so it's always Netflix, YouTube, etc. But since we've never used cell service to stream that stuff, I'm not sure if 40Gb is more than we need or if watching say a few hours a day requires more than 40Gb/month. What has been your experience?
    We have 80 GB...40 on ea line. Way more than we need.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    According to Netflix. SD uses about 1gb per hour, HD uses around 3GB per hour and 4k Uses 7GB per hour.
    In my rig I have a little wifi router (usb powered) that connects to the 'active' hotspot - we use our phones, an ATT hotspot, and a verizon hotspot (not all at the same time). This gives us a total of about 200GB bandwidth and I can run through that in a month (doing lots of teams calls etc... really eats the bandwidth).

For watching online video on the TVs, I have found that if I rate limit them on my router (this is an option it has) to say 720kbps then the video is still very watchable, and netflix or amazon or whatever optimizes to that speed. In this way I can stream for about .5GB /hour.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have T-Mobile Magenta 1.0 Unlimited 55 with no extras. Still evaluating, but so far so good after a year at several camp sites in Illinois and Indiana, many wooded and secluded.

Last week we were at Indiana Dunes and had only one or two bars, but plenty good streaming ability with either 4 or 5G. I was using the Apple TV connected to my phone hotspot and got a text from T-Mobile saying I used up my hotspot high speed data and would be limited to 600kbps. Funny thing is we continued to stream another episode and video quality was still very good. So we are not going to pay for any extras until proven needed. You can easily turn them on and off in the T-Mobile app and are pretty cheap if you do need them.

At Mississippi Palisades in Illinois we had no coverage (same as other carriers), no OTA TV, and only 1 radio station! Another option in that situation is to download content ahead of time in the Netflix and Prime apps, but we found out that the apps wouldn’t allow streaming the downloads to our Apple TV without a hotspot connection. We will probably get a phone to HDMI hard wire adapter that they do allow for some strange reason (so says the Internet :-) and will also eliminate the need to use hotspot data for streaming at the expense of having to plug in your phone to the TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kent
    2017 Reflection 307MKS
    2019 F250 6.7 SB 4x4 B&W Companion slider
    GD 307MKS Dec. 2020, Jayco X17Z Hybrid 6 years, Jayco 308 Pop-up 18 years

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been with At&t for 20 years. Ready to move to a larger data plan along with a hotspot. At&t gets spendy. In researching I see that Tmobile (which now includes Sprint) offers 50% discount for ages 55+. So for $10 less/month, we would go from 4Gb with At&t to 40Gb with Tmobile. Then they also offer a hotspot plan with 100Gb but it didn't list the price online that I could find so have to check on that.

Looking at coverage maps, they certainly look comparable. MobileInternetResource speaks highly of their offer, but not specifically about how reliable the coverage is. So thought I'd just check here if anyone can comment on their experience with Tmobile since taking on Sprint and the added coverage?
    We are looking at switching as soon as we encourage our daughter (kick her off) to get her own cell plan. We have had T-Mobile for probably 15+ years. We went with them because at that time they were the only carrier that offered no contract service plans.

As soon as our daughter gets her own plan we will be switching to the TM 55+ Magenta plan. As for coverage - We recently took two trips, one to Ohio and the most recent to New Hampshire by way of Niagara Falls. I also have a Verizon MiFi Jetpack that I use for work. I noticed that in most areas we had TM service and the Verizon service was pretty poor - Consistently 2 bars on the jetpack. In one park I actually had to use my TM phone as a hotspot because I had no Verizon. Having good TM service and marginal Verizon is something new. Our past experience is we would always have VZ service and usually no TM. So it appears the tables have turned. We are rarely without TM service unless we are in the middle of nowhere but even then the TM rural band seems to come through for us.

I may also be trying the TMob Home Internet just to see how good or bad it is. They don't require a contract so if it doesn't work well I'll send it back. According the coverage map our sticks & bricks is right at the border of 5G and Enhanced 5G? Unfortunately you can't travel with the home internet device. But if it works it would be cheaper than my current home internet provider, $50/mo vs $85/mo.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    In my rig I have a little wifi router (usb powered) that connects to the 'active' hotspot - we use our phones, an ATT hotspot, and a verizon hotspot (not all at the same time). This gives us a total of about 200GB bandwidth and I can run through that in a month (doing lots of teams calls etc... really eats the bandwidth).

For watching online video on the TVs, I have found that if I rate limit them on my router (this is an option it has) to say 720kbps then the video is still very watchable, and netflix or amazon or whatever optimizes to that speed. In this way I can stream for about .5GB /hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllRs307 View Post
    We have T-Mobile Magenta 1.0 Unlimited 55 with no extras. Still evaluating, but so far so good after a year at several camp sites in Illinois and Indiana, many wooded and secluded.

Last week we were at Indiana Dunes and had only one or two bars, but plenty good streaming ability with either 4 or 5G. I was using the Apple TV connected to my phone hotspot and got a text from T-Mobile saying I used up my hotspot high speed data and would be limited to 600kbps. Funny thing is we continued to stream another episode and video quality was still very good. So we are not going to pay for any extras until proven needed. You can easily turn them on and off in the T-Mobile app and are pretty cheap if you do need them.

At Mississippi Palisades in Illinois we had no coverage (same as other carriers), no OTA TV, and only 1 radio station! Another option in that situation is to download content ahead of time in the Netflix and Prime apps, but we found out that the apps wouldn’t allow streaming the downloads to our Apple TV without a hotspot connection. We will probably get a phone to HDMI hard wire adapter that they do allow for some strange reason (so says the Internet :-) and will also eliminate the need to use hotspot data for streaming at the expense of having to plug in your phone to the TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We've had T Mobile for 2 years. There are places it doesn't work here in Oregon, but many other cell companies don't either. Most of the Oregon Coast; T Mobile is better then the others.

We had a T Mobile hot spot. The older prepaid plan worked great even after you ran out of allotted data. Once we went with the new hotspot, it didn't work once you ran out. If you want the hotspot you can have it. We went with a unlimited hotspot from FMCAfor $49.95 a month.

I have been using a cable from amazon to go from my phone to HDMI on the tv. Tethering is free. You just put the phone on the Netflix show and push play with the cable attached. It goes to the tv. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveling nationally, our best service has been T-Mobile, Verizon and ATT...in that order.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Wife and I are on the T-Mobile 55+ Magenta Plus plan after dropping AT&T due to problems with their service. For the past several years I have stayed away from T-Mobile as they were well known for having the poorest coverage of the major four carriers. However, with their acquisition of Sprint giving them the 2.5 GHz mid band (5G band N41 I believe) and purchasing the 600 MHz spectrum from the FCC giving them better low band coverage has certainly improved the service.

In addition to unlimited everything on your smartphone, you also have 40Gig of hotspot data available on each line. Couple that with free Netflix, free aircraft Wifi and it makes it a deal that is hard to turn down. It is also worth noting that most of the carriers that offer unlimited data will limit the amount of Premium data and will slow down your speeds after you exceed a certain limit. With T-Mobil's Magenta Plus plan they say they it is all premium data (network management aside).

For unlimited everything for just $90.00 per month for two lines, I don't see how you can go wrong as long as there is coverage in the areas you frequent. I also recently dropped Cox cable internet ($88.00 / month for 150 Mbits) and moved to T-Mobile's internet. $50.00 a month for as long as you have the service if you use autopay. Speed test have shown that with band N41 I can achieve download speeds exceeding 600 Mbits and this too is unlimited data. Generally it is in the 300 - 400 Mbits range. Unfortunately it is for home use only and not available to everyone, depending on your location and tower capacity in your area
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srobins View Post
    My Wife and I are on the T-Mobile 55+ Magenta Plus plan after dropping AT&T due to problems with their service. For the past several years I have stayed away from T-Mobile as they were well known for having the poorest coverage of the major four carriers. However, with their acquisition of Sprint giving them the 2.5 GHz mid band (5G band N41 I believe) and purchasing the 600 MHz spectrum from the FCC giving them better low band coverage has certainly improved the service.

In addition to unlimited everything on your smartphone, you also have 40Gig of hotspot data available on each line. Couple that with free Netflix, free aircraft Wifi and it makes it a deal that is hard to turn down. It is also worth noting that most of the carriers that offer unlimited data will limit the amount of Premium data and will slow down your speeds after you exceed a certain limit. With T-Mobil's Magenta Plus plan they say they it is all premium data (network management aside).

For unlimited everything for just $90.00 per month for two lines, I don't see how you can go wrong as long as there is coverage in the areas you frequent. I also recently dropped Cox cable internet ($88.00 / month for 150 Mbits) and moved to T-Mobile's internet. $50.00 a month for as long as you have the service if you use autopay. Speed test have shown that with band N41 I can achieve download speeds exceeding 600 Mbits and this too is unlimited data. Generally it is in the 300 - 400 Mbits range. Unfortunately it is for home use only and not available to everyone, depending on your location and tower capacity in your area
    Echoing Srobins, it's worked out pretty well for us also.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast