User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    According to Netflix. SD uses about 1gb per hour, HD uses around 3GB per hour and 4k Uses 7GB per hour.
    One of the neat things with Tmobile is it's truly unlimited. When I have 5G I hook it up to my TV and stream everything at no additional cost. I'm using Starlink at the moment so I don't use it as much in Park City, UT but was a lifesaver in the PNW (Washington, Oregon, NoCal) over the past few months.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And of course, my wife received an unlimited data plan from T-Mobile for $25/month and I tossed it. Arrrgh. In retrospect, it would have been good to have a two carrier option. I'm hoping they offer it again.

We have been Verizon customers (legacy plans offered by AT&T to their employees in the Bell Atlantic/Nynex era before the Cellular One brand was consolidated) since the 1990s. I am less and less impressed with performance and price. Their 5G hand-offs to non-5G towers result in disconnected calls and my 4G phones are dropping more and more calls directly in sight of their towers - less than a half mile.
    Last edited by ajg617; 10-02-2021 at 03:36 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW you can add our thumbs up to the T-Mobile service. We don’t have the 55+ service as we are on their military plan but the coverage and service is of course the same. I travel extensively for my business - all in rural America - and T-Mobile has dramatically improved their service over the past three years. I usually have 5G in the rural areas and LTE in more populated regions (strange I know…) and though there may not be much difference between 5G and LTE at the moment it does give an indication of T-Mobile’s 5G rollout and speed increases that will come with it when they turn it on.

When camping I use my iPhone as the WiFi connection for our AppleTV and we stream Netflix etc without throttling or slowdowns - and we’ve had some movie marathons on rainy weekends. I am VERY pleased with T-Mobile and have even dropped cable internet in favor of T-Mobile’s home internet service. As others have said there is no contract, it’s a flat $50/month and we’ve never had dropped service, unlike Spectrum which regularly went dark each month. A nice perk with the home internet router from T-Mobile is the battery backup that’s built in so even when we lose power due to storms or whatever we can still connect to the outside world using our phone, iPad or laptop.

Oh, and T-Mobile’s customer service is absolutely top notch. You get to talk to real people who are usually in your region and they take care of the issue during the call.

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T-Mobile 55+

Us to had AT&T for over 20 years, they just kept going up and offering less, I tried Verizon, that was a Joke, they were higher than AT&T, so now Im on T-Mobile, 55+ so far so good, My bill went from $204.00 per month to a Flat $90.00 and no problems with coverage at this point, my son is stationed in Las Vegas and has been with T-Moble for 3 years he has no complaints at all.we did try their hot spot and I thought it was very good, I had better internet with T-Mobile hot spot then I did with Verizon Jet Pack.
    Gene Steffens
    2020 303RLS
    2021 Ram 2500,Bighorn (Lone. Star), Cummings 6.7I
    Retired CMSgt USAF

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    We've been with At&t for 20 years. Ready to move to a larger data plan along with a hotspot. At&t gets spendy. In researching I see that Tmobile (which now includes Sprint) offers 50% discount for ages 55+. So for $10 less/month, we would go from 4Gb with At&t to 40Gb with Tmobile. Then they also offer a hotspot plan with 100Gb but it didn't list the price online that I could find so have to check on that.

Looking at coverage maps, they certainly look comparable. MobileInternetResource speaks highly of their offer, but not specifically about how reliable the coverage is. So thought I'd just check here if anyone can comment on their experience with Tmobile since taking on Sprint and the added coverage?
    I've been on the T-M +55 plan for ("old Man Plan") several years now, which includes two lines for $70 and then I added a third tablet line for another $20. The tablet SIM I put in my MOFI cell router which acts as my hot spot and wifi for all things connected while in the RV. I built the MOFI (it's actually a WIFI NEXQ but essentially the same...see the link below) and put a 4g radio in it. Then I set the TTP settings to mask all of the data traffic to look/feel like "non-video" data to the network. Why you ask? Because now there is no limit on data traffic through the router when I stream.

I've used this set-up almost two years now and for me, it's almost perfect. When I get to a campsite, I locate the direction of the TM tower that is being registered on the router by looking it up on Cellmapper.net and then stick the router on the RV window that allows me to point it in that direction. All things internet connect to the router (Roku, computers, printer, LCI control). Speeds can vary but I typically get around 12 - 15 mg down and have seen it as high as 135mg. Whatever the case, streaming has never been a problem and I've never been throttled.

Good luck,

Phil

https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/lte-...r-wifi-router/

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TM has left us w/o coverage a few times where others say 'you must not have verizon'.
    This happened recently in Montana and it looks like there is no coverage in Alaska at all, if you plan on going there...but yeah, verizon is very costly.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We very recently switched to the T-Mobile sr magenta plan. In our travels coverage has been excellent. Streaming used up the low level hotspot quickly. The buy one apple11 and get one free worked out great. So far I would give T-Mobile sr magenta plan a grade of “A”. Next travel yr I will get a temporary increase of my hotspot level

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    We've been with At&t for 20 years. Ready to move to a larger data plan along with a hotspot. At&t gets spendy. In researching I see that Tmobile (which now includes Sprint) offers 50% discount for ages 55+. So for $10 less/month, we would go from 4Gb with At&t to 40Gb with Tmobile. Then they also offer a hotspot plan with 100Gb but it didn't list the price online that I could find so have to check on that.

Looking at coverage maps, they certainly look comparable. MobileInternetResource speaks highly of their offer, but not specifically about how reliable the coverage is. So thought I'd just check here if anyone can comment on their experience with Tmobile since taking on Sprint and the added coverage?
    I switched from AT&T to the T Mobile Unlimited 55 plan because we use a lot of data when on the road since RV campground WiFi is usually not very good. I have found that in many places there is no service or poor service when not near large cities or interstate highways. I just returned from a trip that went through several middle, eastern and southern states. A lot of the time I had one bar of signal and web pages were very slow to load or would just stop halfway through. Sometimes phone calls would not connect or would be dropped. Text messaging seemed OK most of the time but did have some trouble. The price was what took me there, but I'm planning on changing to something else. I don't have a 5G phone which could be partly to blame since T-Mobile is touting their 5G coverage.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chevy 2500HD CCLB Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrb View Post
    I switched from AT&T to the T Mobile Unlimited 55 plan because we use a lot of data when on the road since RV campground WiFi is usually not very good. I have found that in many places there is no service or poor service when not near large cities or interstate highways. I just returned from a trip that went through several middle, eastern and southern states. A lot of the time I had one bar of signal and web pages were very slow to load or would just stop halfway through. Sometimes phone calls would not connect or would be dropped. Text messaging seemed OK most of the time but did have some trouble. The price was what took me there, but I'm planning on changing to something else. I don't have a 5G phone which could be partly to blame since T-Mobile is touting their 5G coverage.
    A 5G phone will make all the difference.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good luck with Visible (Verizon's discount offering). $25 a month all inclusive with unlimited everything. The only downside is that you are deprioritized like most MVNOs.

Google Fi was also decent, and works worldwide. It uses T-Mobile network. They let you order free data only sims for your tablets and such. With 4 lines I think it's $45/line for unlimited. I might go back if I travel international again.

I prefer these types of carriers because they are cheap, have no contracts, very straightforward. If you need a lot of tech support or phone subsidies and stuff they aren't right for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast