Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving on from Grand Design/ Fifth Wheel, We have enjoyed/benefitted from the Forum

Hi All,
    Thought I would make a last post here on the forum. We have traded our Reflection 303 for a Minnie Winnie and are going to try that for a while. I have enjoyed the information and general respectful way that people here have discussed the various problems, solutions and improvements to their Grand Design trailers. I have also been somewhat pleased with the manner the GD has done most of their business. JD and others have be helpful and usually responsive to warranty issues. One issue that I am very disappointed with, as far as GD is concerned, is what I perceive a lack of acknowledgement and action on the greasy brake issues that so many of us have had. While GD deserves credit for their overall warranty support, when it counts, such as a major safety issue, GD seems to have placed other things ahead of it's customer safety. It shouldn't take a government action to cause a company to do the right thing. I must also admit that after the brake issues on mine I am leery of it and that is part of our decision to move on from the fifth wheel.
    But, since Winnebago has bought out Grand Design I guess we aren't going far.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely agree with all your points! We have full timed with our 337 for almost three years, 60K on the tow vehicle, probably 40K or so on the fifth wheel, 3 sets of axles (originals were undersize and recalled), second had toe problems), second set of axles came with complete brake assemblies that greased the shoes and drums (first brakes got totally greased too). I bought brake assemblies from etrailer and have good results with hand packing bearings, not filling the hubs. NO WAY I will EVER put a grease gun on the axle! (I am ASE certified master tech too!) Still running second set of Westlakes comped when axles were replaced first time, one had a separation a couple of months ago.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGMutchler View Post
    Hi All,
    Thought I would make a last post here on the forum. We have traded our Reflection 303 for a Minnie Winnie and are going to try that for a while. I have enjoyed the information and general respectful way that people here have discussed the various problems, solutions and improvements to their Grand Design trailers. I have also been somewhat pleased with the manner the GD has done most of their business. JD and others have be helpful and usually responsive to warranty issues. One issue that I am very disappointed with, as far as GD is concerned, is what I perceive a lack of acknowledgement and action on the greasy brake issues that so many of us have had. While GD deserves credit for their overall warranty support, when it counts, such as a major safety issue, GD seems to have placed other things ahead of it's customer safety. It shouldn't take a government action to cause a company to do the right thing. I must also admit that after the brake issues on mine I am leery of it and that is part of our decision to move on from the fifth wheel.
    Grand Design has known about the massive amount of greasy brakes, and I wonder what they've done to right that wrong? I blame the NHTSA for not stepping in and handling that problem with Lippert directly. Grand Design is not the only RV brand using Lippert axles, and I suspect there are thousands and thousands of RV trailer without working brakes on the road--and mine is one of them. Finally, Grand Design started installing axles with self adjusting brakes--that ought to be standard throughout the industry.

I especially blame the NHTSA for not facing the poor quality ST tires used in RV trailers, boat trailers, utility trailers and horse & stock trailers. We're talking about millions of sub-standard tires on the road--most of which are in the hands of non-professional drivers. There's no way a Westlake tire should be rated +500 lbs. over a LT/E ribbed tire weighing 10 lbs. more that's got much thicker sidewalls and tougher treads. The almighty dollar often is the main consideration on trailer components.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with your new RV. I understand your frustration. Hopefully your new Minnie Winnie will provide you thousands of trouble free miles.
    Safe travels.
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGMutchler View Post
    Hi All,
    Godspeed to you and your Minnie Winnie! I too applaud the forum members for their decorum. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this forum is the exception and not the rule. I've been around the internet so long I was personally there when Al Gore started it! LOL Seriously though, back in the day, messaging was via list servers and there was no GUI. Talkin' about green screens & DOS baybee (yep I'm THAT old). Anyhow, in some ways the internet has de-evolved. Forums nowadays seem to be the respite of folks that can't relate to the human species so they spew all manners of horse hockey from the safety of their keyboard. Anyhow....this forum has been a breath of fresh air and I too have benefitted from it, like....(sadly) the dreaded grease on brakes issue. Don't worry folks....not gonna go there....gonna let that sleeping dog lie - for now. LOL....

Again....here's wishing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqUyNaSdvg

Tom

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    I really like your Happy Trails youtube link, thanks
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be getting old. I remember that
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph,

Thanks for letting us know about your new adventures.
    You have provided balanced and thoughtful input on many of the topics discussed on this forum. Much appreciated !
    I agree that GDs failure to resolve the greased brakes issue seems really "out of character" in comparison to the great factory support that many of us have received on most other issues.
    You don't have to give up your participation here . Many of us would be really interested in your perspective on Winnebago, maybe 6 months from now!

Fair Winds . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ralph, don't go away! You will still be a cousin.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    Hey Ralph, don't go away! You will still be a cousin.
    I agree LC. He could be our token Winnebago member! HAHAHAHAHA.......

(no disrespect intended)

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast