Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The preferred second a/c unit is the Penguin II low profile unit. You never know when 6" difference really makes a difference. Of course it fits in place of the 14" x 14" vent in the front bedroom. You must purchase one designed for ducted installation, and a faceplate that doesn't have any controls on it.

The wiring's already in place. The thermostat wire is taped to the paneling behind the light switch, and you would mount the new thermostat above the light switch.

The worst part about the installation is getting a 100 lb. a/c unit up on the roof. Our campground has a skidsteer loader with forks. You could also use a long extension ladder extended way out--pulling the a/c unit in the box with a rope up the ladder.

The instructions are included with the a/c unit, and you can read the manuals online. UTube.com also has the installation covered in a video. I would think an experienced RV technician could complete the installation in 1 to 1.5 hour, so it's not that difficult of an installationl.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is main AC control:

Here is forward AC control:

You can see low profile AC in my signature pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff & Deena
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, 4 x T-105s
    2006 F-350 King Ranch, 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much height does the 2nd low profile A/C add to the 12' 303rls height?
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it adds any being low profile. The 15k btu AC sits higher (at least viewing from side...I haven't taken any measurements)
    Jeff & Deena

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the model number of the low profile ducted unit that got installed? Did it come with a thermostat?
    Jeremy & Katie
    2017 303RLS Reflection
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does that Penguin II compare to any others as far as quietness, any idea?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerloser View Post
    Do you have the model number of the low profile ducted unit that got installed? Did it come with a thermostat?
    I have the factory installed Dometic 13.5k btu ducted

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/20448
    Jeff & Deena

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Penguin II is a relatively loud unit, but so are all the others in such a small area. Many owners will run both a/c units during the day--keeping front bedroom temperatures down. When they move to the front to go to bed, they'll cut off the front a/c and just use the rear a/c that still feeds through the ductwork.

Of all the a/c units, the Atwood regular height unit is probably the quietest. But I don't know if they're still even making the Atwood units any longer (since Lippert bought them.)

The industry could sure use a quieter HVAC unit. A fifth wheel trailer might be better served using a home style mini-split heat pump system with the compressor mounted high on the rear of the trailer. Evaporator heads could be mounted high in the main room/kitchen and in the front bedroom. With modern scroll inverter compressors putting out EEC of 33, they'd be far more efficient than current a/c units. But the best part is the roof mounted a/c units and ducting could be done away with--lowering the total height of the trailer. Mini-splits are being used all over the world, and they're extremely quiet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Bamaman in regards to only running the rear AC while going to bed. We also just use the front AC when doing things like watching a movie or just trying to keep the noise down in the living room in general. Personally, we haven't needed to run both in the North Carolina or New Jersey summer but I'm sure you would really benefit from two ACs in something like a Texas summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Libby
    2017 Reflection 315RLTS
    2016 Chevy 3500 Diesel SRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Of all the a/c units, the Atwood regular height unit is probably the quietest. But I don't know if they're still even making the Atwood units any longer (since Lippert bought them.)
    The Atwood is (was) an Australian design and is definitely quieter than the competitors. The understanding that I gathered at the 2015 Rally was that Dometic bought Atwood with the specific intent of eliminating a competitor. I've also learned that Atwood service parts are being discontinued.

I agree with Bamaman that the RV industry certainly could use quieter AC . . . and the technology is currently available . . . it just might cost a little more, therefore not likely to be offered.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast