Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oven Question

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oven Question

Due to the fact that we have not figured out how to use the fancy convection/microwave and there are times when we are not on the grid, I have been researching ways to improve the oven in our 305RE. I am curious what people have found when pulling out or removing the oven. Is there any insulation wrap on the outside of the unit ? Any thoughts on how to improve the efficiency of the original ovens.

Gordon Fuchs
    Presently in Cleveland

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people will place a pizza stone on the bottom right above the burner to even out the heat. We use a stainless steel round skillet vice a pizza stone, mainly because our stone is too big and we like the skillet for making pancakes/French toast. I haven't read anything about insulating the oven; if you go for it, make sure it's rated to withstand the surface temperature of the oven when in use.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do use the pizza stone and it helps a little. Right now I have to set the oven to 425 degrees to get to 350 degrees.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a square pizza stone, which has cracked like others have experienced but still seems to do the job. The numbers on the valve are only an approximation of temperatures inside. If you have a laser thermometer (maybe used for checking tire and brake temperatures ?) this works well for dialing in the true oven temperature at different locations. We find that the back of the oven runs 50 degrees hotter than the front, so things need to be rotated more often than a home oven. Cate does everything from roasts to cookies without a problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a cast iron dutch oven lid in the bottom, the domed center really helps even out the heat by creating that small air space over the burner.
    Steve & Diane -
    Home is where we park it now.
    Furry Kid; Springer Spaniel
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2015 Ram 3500/DRW/4x4/6.7TD/AISN/4.10/4 Door-Long Bed
    B&W Companion in Factory Pucks

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We discovered that our oven door does not shut tightly all the way around the face frame of the oven! In fact when it is closed there's a good 1/2 gap at the top and gradually lessens until the rubber gasket starts to make contact with the oven face frame about half way down the door. I was loosing a tremendous amount of heat and not maintaining an even temp inside the oven. I placed a strong "Rare Earth Magnet" at the top corner of the door and it now holds the door shut and no heat escapes. Works much better now. We use a small sheet pan turned upside down on the shelf just about the burner to even out the heat.
    Me, My Wife and our two Boys
    Sophia, our Toller
    2015 Momentum 328m
    2016 Chevy LTZ CC, LB, 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison (Brand NEW)
    B&W Turn-Over Ball with B&W Companion fifth wheel Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a square pizza stone on the bottom and rotate the food often. I make chocolate chip muffins in our oven regularly when we camp. The muffins call for a 12-14 minute baking duration and I rotate them 90 degrees at a time every 3 minutes during baking. You just have to be patient and willing to experiment as your oven, the type of food you are preparing, elevation, humidity and other variables will change how well your oven performs. I have a hanging thermometer inside the oven, however, using the laser thermometer as recommended above is a great idea as you can check for "hot spots" within the oven chamber. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MitterMoe - Like the dutch oven lid idea ! . . . makes sense . . . going to try that !

PaPa Bear - Just checked our oven door and it is tight to the seals on the sides and across the top. I wonder if your door is properly assembled to the hinges ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use non-glazed tiles on the metal floor of the oven. They work great and are only about .29 each.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is certainly something wrong with it! The magnets are a short term fix until I can get it back down to the Dealership. I had seen this same issue on here a while back and they used rare earth magnets to hold the door tightly shut. Regular magnets loose there strength when heated.

Papa Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    MitterMoe - Like the dutch oven lid idea ! . . . makes sense . . . going to try that !

PaPa Bear - Just checked our oven door and it is tight to the seals on the sides and across the top. I wonder if your door is properly assembled to the hinges ?

Rob
    Me, My Wife and our two Boys
    Sophia, our Toller
    2015 Momentum 328m
    2016 Chevy LTZ CC, LB, 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison (Brand NEW)
    B&W Turn-Over Ball with B&W Companion fifth wheel Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast