User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removal of 12 cu. ft. frig (337RL)

I'll be straight up. We had a soup accident this evening. The glass cook-top cover (closed) is not a good place to park liquids - especially if the liquids are hot, in a crock pot liner, in a collapsible mixing bowl (you know - the type that RVers like to use). The mixing bowl softened with the heat and listed to port allowing the gunwale to slip below the water line and about a quart of delicious soup stock dripped down the grates at the back of the cook-top cover. Some of it ended up in the pan under the burners; some of it dripped into the oven, inside the bottom of the oven door, and the wooden panel under the oven; the remainder ended up under the pot drawer on the slide floor and wicked/ran mostly forward into the cabinet to the right of the oven, along the ledge below the oven and frig, and - I'm afraid - a very small amount went under the frig. We spent almost three hours removing everything from the cabinets, removing the pot drawer, unscrewing the oven and cook-top, taking the oven door apart, and getting up everything we could get to. After normal cleanup methods, everything accessible was then wiped down with disinfecting wipes. (Helpful hint: the tire tool kit for a 1-ton DRW truck has pieces in it long and skinny enough to get rags to the back of the oven compartment.)

The pot drawer is still out and cabinet doors open with a fan trained on the open areas. We're pretty sure we've prevented any serious structural damage (it was only a quart of liquid and we got nearly all of it), but my wife fears an odor issue down the road if soup stock got into any areas we couldn't get to... like under the refrigerator. I see screws under little trim caps top and bottom on the frig. I also see a couple of screws outside holding the metal flashing at the back down to the slide floor/frig compartment. If our nightmare comes to fruition, What is entailed in sliding the frig out far enough to see and/or clean under it. The LP lines at the back seem flexible. Would it be sufficient to turn everything off (gas and electric), unscrew everything and slide the frig out a bit to get under it or is the fit too tight for that? Are there more screws along the inside flanges under the trim along the side that I'm not seeing? I've done all kinds of automotive, construction and technical work, but is this a job for an RV professional? Will I be able to sleep tonight without being sedated? (Oh - sorry. You may not be able to answer that last one.)

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have no clue how to get the frig out but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry this happened to you guys! What a MESS! We have all had those kind of accidents though. I would worry about ants and mice being drawn by the soup stock so I am with the wife. I would have to get it up. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! I have a different refrigerator so this may not be true for you.

Open the outside vent cover, you may find some more screws on the backside of the refrigerator. I had to lift the front edge about 1/4 inch before it would slide. Even though the propane line looked like it would bend sufficiently I unhooked it any way. (After turning propane off of course.).

I hope it does not come to this.

Good luck!

Dallas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bowl should be charged with major soup abuse and sued for the loss of a days worth of relaxation for 2.
    Wish we could be of help but haven't pulled a fridge out yet. Hope you get it all cleaned to your satisfaction.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/