Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering a Solitude 384GK-R but have concerns

Hello. My husband and I have been considering trading in our Montana 3100RL for a Solitude 384GK-R. However, we're a bit dismayed to see some of the problems that folks are having with Grand Design (i.e. entry doors won't stay closed, mattress stinks, grease seals failing, etc.) We know that there can be problems no matter what but we're looking at a considerable amount of money on this unit and are getting a little scared. Any comments?
    Joanne, Bill & Ginger (aka Kampin' Kitty)
    2014 RAM 3500 Dually
    North Trail 24RBS
    Montana 3100RL
    Possibly GD Solitude 384GK-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used ours non stop for three weeks cuz we bought it late it late in season and we made a list of everything that needed to be repaired and it has been repaired

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was nothing major a crip in hose line so we had no hot water pressure in bathroom sink
    They didn't stain one corner. The microwave went out. A screen didn't fit correctly and screws came loose on the slides.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't see any problems your stating and we drove all over the state of Wisconsin.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought the rig to live in in arizona but we went out there and checked the rv parks we were finding close to any jobs my husband would have were all dumps. I. Won't live like that that is why we are selling our Solitude
    I would be afraid in any of those parks without my husband there
    So we are going to rent so someone will luck out and get a brand new rid cuz of situation

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have I cleared up your concerns mattress stinks cuz of humidity
    I put that stuff in the rv to keep my humidity out or low so it doesn't stink

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do know I have a 2016 284gk for sale right now we bought last August we put a 4 camera system on it and has a tarp and wheel covers. Not residential frig but double wide fridge. In brand new condition 2 15k ac with dishwasher.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard anything about entry doors not staying closed. That's new to me. As for the leaking axle seals - yes, many people have experienced this problem. The good news is Lippert/Grand Design have been VERY good about fixing the problem with no questions asked. I would just have the dealer check the seals before you take delivery. And finally - the mattress. Yes, basically all factory mattresses leave much to be desired. Not many manufacturers put a $1,500 mattress into their RV's and Grand Design is no exception. We've replaced the factory mattresses in both RV's that we've owned and most people do the same. It's a simple swap.

We've stayed in our Grand Design 5th wheel for five months now and have had no issues other than the leaking axle seals. We had zero issues during our PDI. Grand Design RV's are not perfect but they are very, very good and their customer service is the best in the business. If we ever buy another 5th wheel, it will be a Grand Design for sure.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasnt afraid and I should have been! 1st DEALERS LIE ! if there lips are moving there lying! If dealers find something wrong in there pdi before you get there,they will do what ever it takes to fix it to not lose the sale and or not lose there time. I found that out. They will act like your best friend and act interested in what ever you talk about. They do not care about you at all ! They want to get paid. ANY thing that you question or anything they agree to do or fix after the sale ,GET IT ON PAPER !

Make them pull a Hub ! I didnt and mine are full or grease right off the lot .... Lippert does not fix the problem !!!! they will send out new stuff and the dealer will reinstall ! Hopefully your dealer knows what to do to fix it or do it yourself.
    Get on the roof and get under the camper ! My dealer found a leak when prepairing the camper for my pdi. They cut the belly open and fixed the leak ! So yea My belly had water damage and had been cut open ! # grand design does not authorize a dealer to ever cut the belly ! (found that out the hard way)
    open up the AC filter cover from the inside and look at the tag ! MY front ac was a 13.5 btu !!! it should be a 15...
    6 point leveling .. Grand design installs them with there own 50amp breaker, lippert specs it out at 80amp breaker ! a 50amp breaker is $8 and 80amp is $45 ! Will the jacks work on the 50amp ? yep,maybe. try running them when the temps are real cold it will Pop that breaker. Called lippart,they say replace the breaker ! will lippart send you a breaker ? Nope ..will your dealer ? who knows ... I have connections for that stuff so I got one myself .. SO yea learn from my mistakes.... Grand design has been contacted and is working with me slowly. Nothing is resolved. Ill post what happens.....
    SO yea ! learn from my mistakes ... I will NEVER trust a dealer ! NEVER ...... Grand design has been slow but helpful on getting my stuff fixed. Good luck ...Rant over ...
    2016 solitude 379fl
    Minnesota,North metro
    summers @ flying goose
    fairmont,Mn seasonal

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you had a bad experience with your dealer Bob. Our dealer (Blue Dog RV in Redmond, Oregon) was outstanding in every way.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast