Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection Second Awning

My 2017 337RLS came with factory installed awning on the curb side slide out. When awning is extended, the roller tube is higher than the awning rail allowing any rain water to drain back towards the unit. Awning instructions say the roller tube should be lower than the awning rail. Can others with the second awning comment on how theirs was installed?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have that problem. Is there an adjustment on the arms?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The awning can be adjusted down after being fully extended; but, the adjustment has to be removed before retracting. I am thinking there is something wrong with the installation. I have queried my dealer.
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photo showing both awings extended with no adjustments. Big difference between the two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1805.jpg  
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After taking a good look at your picture, I say that something is out of adjustment. Your dealer should be able to fix that in a matter of minutes. Please keep us posted.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks very similar to ours although I don't have it in front of me right now just looking at a pic when we brought it home from the dealer in February. Maybe it isn't quite up like that and perhaps this is "normal". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	337RLS Awnings.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	7232

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP here.
    After conversations with Grand Design and Dometic, I have learned the following:
    1. Zero pitch on the slide awning is by design according to GD. Their reasoning for this is "because if we pitched them the awning would be too low to the ground and we would risk customers hitting their head on it." I have sent a communication to GD (no response yet) that with the slide awning at zero pitch, the main awning is significantly lower than the slide awning. I don't see that there is a hazard with the slide awning having some downward pitch if that downward pitch does not put it any lower than the main awning. There is more hazard to getting my fingers pinched adjusting this awning than there is to hitting my head on it as there is a lot of tension on the arms. Additionally, with the slide awing at zero pitch, that means I always have to do a manual adjustment if there is going to be rain so that the rain will drain off the awning. Then I have to remember to take that adjustment out before retracting the awning or the awing will bind up during retraction.
    2. Dometic makes this awning in three different pitch configurations: 0 deg. Reduced Pitch, 13 deg. Standard Pitch, and 20 deg. Basement Pitch. The 0 deg. Reduced Pitch is the configuration of my slide awning. I have not yet confirmed the configuration of my main awning; but, I think it is the Basement Pitch configuration. Dometic says I would have to replace the entire awning hardware arms to change the awning pitch. However, I did discover in the documentation that Dometic provided, that the Back Channel (piece that bolts to the RV sidewall) is the same configuration for both the Reduced Pitch and Standard Pitch configuration so, I have some doubt about what really is needed if I want to change the pitch configutation. Will require some additional communication with Dometic.

Hope this all makes sense (all except GD's reasoning) :-)

Regards to all,

Bill
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so this is normal then. I'm ok with that. I didn't even think anything about it until you mentioned it... In hindsight it should be fine...

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat (no slope) awning is fine as a sun shade; but really doesn't work for rain protection. Water will pool until the awning collapses.
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The awning won't collapse one of the arms will slide in dumping the pooled water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast