User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blu Ray Player Installation

As I said in another thread the CLWEA bug hit me and I decided to install a Blu Ray player. I had this Sony player and figured it would be ideal since it's small, runs on 12V, and has built-in WiFi. But first, I wanna get the wiring outta the way.

The first pic is after I fished all the guts out. Those of you who see nothing wrong - God Bless you because my pickiness is off the charts sometimes and I just couldn't see putting the wiring back in the cavity like that. When I inspected the crimped connections, there were a couple that weren't fully crimped together - see second pic. So, my anal retentive self kicked in and I re-did all the speaker and power connections. The next pic is after I got done. That black sheathing is something left over from my pontoon boat renovation. It expands because of the way it's woven so it can accommodate a wide range of wire bundle diameters. HA!! And who knew there was a "SUB OUT" on the DV3100?? So I connected a cable to the SUB out to play around with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	6862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	6859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring3.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	6860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	6861

....continued

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping that I'd have enough room to install the player under the DV3100, but that was a no go. So off to my wood pile where I had a left over piece of birch plywood to make a box that would fit snugly into the adjacent cabinet. I was also able to make the box so that the player was snug inside the cavity. A piece of wood ensures it won't go out the end of the box. Made a faceplate to hide the plywood's' plies and routed out the opening. The next series of pic show the progression.

Name:	BD1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	6863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	6864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	6865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	6866

......continued

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test fit, wiring for the player routed, stained & polyurethaned and ready for installation.

Name:	BD5.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	6867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD7.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	6868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD8.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	6869

......continued

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BY GOD IT WAS A SUCCESS!! Player box in its new home and tested.

Black Hawk Down - yeah baby......

Name:	BD9.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	6870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD10.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	6871

Tom

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom--nicely done......thanks for sharing the helpful pictures. Did your 337 come with a factory sub just needing to be hooked up or just the wire for you to hook up to your own sub if you wish ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, I'm not a Blue Ray guy, but that does look great! Nice job!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan. No, there was no sub. I've been wanting to upgrade the audio system and wuz gonna do like many here and buy a sound bar + wireless sub. But when I saw that "SUB OUT" jack, I decided to just play around since I've got all manners of cables, old gear, sub builds, etc. left over from systems past. I think I'm gonna re-purpose one of my DIY subs that has line level inputs and an integrated amp. Naturally, I'm gonna install the biggest sub I've built and then say, "Honey, come listen. I did some minor tweeking of the audio system and I think it will be camp ground friendly." And then crank up some Talking Heads.

LMAO..... I know that's gonna go over like a lead balloon. Like the time when the police showed up to ask me to turn down the music emanating from my workshop - and we live on 2 acres of land and the nearest neighbor is 80 yards away!!! Doh!!!

Tom

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Tom, I'm not a Blue Ray guy, but that does look great! Nice job!
    Thanks Steve. Yeah...that player is a bit overkill for that TV. But I had it laying around and it was given to me as a gift. However, I took the TV into my house and connected it to a Hi-Def signal and GOT DANG!!! That TV rendered a darn good image! I was shocked. It ain't no SUHD, but it can render a very good picture.

Tom

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tom, Excellent work! do you hire out?

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Tom, Excellent work! do you hire out?

Jim
    You know what?? I hardly ever do woodworking for others other than the occasional trim work for family and friends. I'm no master carpenter by any means, but I've had folks I don't know ask me who I got to do the trim work in my house. I usually blush and say some curmudgeon jack wagon I met. LOL......

But seriously.....if you wanted me to whip out a box for you, I will. Or anybody else for that matter. My box only took about three hours (not counting poly drying time). All I'd need are the interior cabinet dimensions and the DVD players dimensions. A sample of your interior stain/color would be helpful too. The cost? Pay for the materials plus a six pack of Bud. I know I joke around a lot on this forum - but I'm serious. Their ain't much I won't tackle.

Tom