User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I have the right vechile to tow my rig?

I know there are many ways to determine if a truck, van etc. can tow a travel trailer. Here is a great spreadsheet to make it easier to understand towing capacity, payload and tongue weight.

http://towingplanner.com/Calculators...ayloadEstimate

This is a good way to start BEFORE you buy your trailer and realize your tow vehicle will not work. I am sure there are many others out there too.
    Mark Waller
    2016 Ford F150 Super Crew Max tow package
    3.5 Ecoboost 1789 payload FX4
    36 gallon fuel tank
    Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, very nice site. Even has a spreadsheet for CAT scale data. Nice.

Only dependent on the user putting in the correct data which can be a challenge if both new trailer and truck...
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an excellent web site. We are looking for our first RV right now. I started looking into what my 2015 F150 3.5 Eco could tow and there are far to many "opinions" and not enough fact. After all, towing is simple math at the end of the day. That site handles it. The beginning of our search just happened to coincide with a decision I had not planned on and that was getting a new F150 to replace my cursed 2015 F150. It was my Ford dealers idea not mine. (they did the "right thing") We are leaning toward 2800BH and the F150 would be fine for me and my wife alone. However, when we take the grandkids that will significantly change what we pack. Also I plan for this to be used for me and my buddies on occasional hunting and fishing trips and thats where the numbers get completely blown out of the water for an F150. I opted for an F250 and I know it isn't the ultimate answer, F350 would be better, but I am only willing to affect my daily life so much for a RV. That said, the F250 will handle everything I want to throw at it, payload, towing, anything. I don't want more than about 32 feet just for ease of doing business and the F250 will handle anything in that area even for me and three or four buddies carrying ridiculous amounts of crap for a hunting or fishing trip. Plus, because of the unique position I found myself in because of the poopy F150, I was able to get a really good deal on a 2017 F250 6.7L diesel. So now towing will be a breeze anywhere I go with 925 lb-ft of torque. Nutshell: If you know for certain you will only EVER tow "X" amount of weight, cargo, people with F150 3.5 ecoboost, go for it! They are awesome. If you want flexibility play with numbers on that site and you will see it probably won't be ideal. That's what I decided. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
    Last edited by ALScott; 05-02-2017 at 10:42 PM.