Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I've NEVER made a mistake.

OK - I lied. The thought hit me that pulling an RV is akin to an old adage in the motorcycling world - There are only three types of riders: Those that have gone down, those that are gonna go down, and those that are gonna go down again.

We've never owned an RV. That right there should be a clue. Before our 337 came home, we had plenty of time to get ready for it. You know.....like when you're expecting your first child and you gussy up a room so that "it's perfect" (according to SWMBO). I took down a tree (it needed coming down) and that free'd up about a 25' swatch of land between my workshop and my utility shed. Oh hell no......my baby's tires ain't gonna come home to dirt. That parking spot needs paving. Woman.....you got your baby room and by God I'm gonna get my RV parking pad!!

Get the 337 home and I've already mentally parked that sucka 107 times. Off the road, into the driveway, start making my left hand swing into the front yard (we got 2 acres of mostly cleared land so I got plenty of maneuvering room), pulled up to where I figured I should be in order to start my backing process. I'm pretty dang pumped up by now. Towed the 337 thru traffic, on the interstate, into the yard and EVERYTHING is going just like I pictured it in my mind. This 5er thang is a piece of cake.

Start backing up and the trailer isn't responding like the other trailers I've back. Hmmmm.....no biggie. I got this. After all - I'm Da Man. Pull forward - back up. Pull forward - back up. Now....after about 14 of these gyrations, my medulla oblongota is overheating because my CPU is at 98%. What in the Sam Hills am I not getting with this dang 5th wheel? People....frustration and anger is NOT YOUR FRIEND! I'm gonna poke that dang thing in that 25' wide spot if it kills me!!

Did I mentioned that I have 25' to work with and the trailer is only 8' wide? The wife is back behind the RV looking out for the caboose and is seriously trying to help. But she's waving her arms/hands trying to give me signals and in my mirrors, it looks like she's sending a semaphore message to some unknown ship. She also tries communicating using one word - STOP!!!! And every time she uses that word, I stop, get out and see what's wrong only to find that she didn't think the trailer was going whatever way she thought it should. We have a come to Jesus meeting. I start backing the RV that has a mind of its own (or so it seems). Again, I hear STOP!!! But she's cried wolf before so I ignore her. I keep backing and I'm *positive* I've got plenty of room on both sides of the trailer. Hell - it's a 25' wide spot! I'm about this || close to getting it where I want to make my last correction to straighten the trailer. Just a little more backing. About this time the wife is flailing her arms and using choice adjectives with the word STOP. I put the truck in park and ask what in he hell is the problem?? She just points to the opposite side of the trailer where I manage to introduce the trailer roof to the workshop roof. Got Dandruff, Some Of It Itches!! She's just standing there and glaring at me. And then says, "It serves you right mister smarty I got this. Well I tried to help but nooooo, you just decide that you know EVERYTHING. But guess what......"

I'm not sure how long she mentally whipped me, but it was a while. And I took it like a man. Shoot - I've eaten crow so much I've acquired a taste for it.

Tom
    This is the funniest one yet.
    Sounds like Alice and I.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newbie here and just discovered this thread and read all 171 post.
    Thanks to you all for your honesty and for this abs workout. Some of the post had me laughing so hard my abs got soar.
    And a big thank you to @WhittleBurner for sharing your story. That one was not funny and my eyes where like a deer in front of headlights while I was reading it. Real glad you guys are now OK. It refreshed my memory of the dangers. I've already told DW that I wont be moving unless I see and hear her. That was real scary.
    We havent picked up our official first TT yet because of the virus. Signed the papers to a 2020 22MLE just before COVID-19 hit and things locked down but we are really looking forward.
    I'm now a little scared after reading all this. Hopefully I'll remember all of it.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems I, (and now the wife as posted in a different thread) are always hurting ourselves more that the rig or mother nature. But we are not done camping yet, still have plenty of opportunities to screw up!
    But is like inevitable, banging my head on the bedroom slide, scraping my hands on the wheel well sharp openings, walking or standing up into the 5er pin box. Or with our old TT banging my chins on the receiver hitch. I've pinched my fingers in door hinges and the like. Seems I always need a couple boxes of band aids when we go camping or I work on the rig. Wife says I should just cut myself right off, get it over with and then start to work. Of course she has joined my club now, I remind her, don't fall off the truck tailgate again!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Seems I, (and now the wife as posted in a different thread) are always hurting ourselves more that the rig or mother nature.
    Hah! I do the same. I'm 6'4" and bang my head on the door frames inside, shower opening, front compartment ceilings - you name it! RV is fine. I should start wearing a helmet while inside the RV.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got around to reading this thread and like others, all of the posts. Some of these things scare the you know what out of me and to one couple a serious life threatening injury! Hopefully all of this will make me more cautious. I have had bumper pulls since '93 and so far have been very lucky but having just purchased our first 5th wheel in August I am scared more now than ever!! But, my rookie mistakes weren't so rookie. It's being over confident or not paying attention in my case. Thank goodness that these are minor.

After spending the night somewhere in Colorado or NM heading back to AZ in our bumper pull, I did my walk around. Made sure everything looked "good", piled in and took off. 300 miles later I am getting gas and getting ready to head out, did my walk around, (am I blind?), when another customer walks up to me and says my trailer plug is not plugged in! (I always unplug the trailer from my TV when parked for the night). What?!?! No biggie, go to plug it back in and it has been dragging on the ground for a few hundred miles. Ground it off at an amazing angle taking out the running lights and brake lights. Brake power was still intact! Not having another Bargman plug to make a repair and being "close" to home we certainly couldn't stop at a local hardware or auto store for a new plug, plugged it in the best I could; drove faster than I should have to get back home before nightfall. Made it. Just barley. I look back on that, the speed I was traveling to make it back before dark and just think to myslef, as Stimpy used to always say to Ren, "Ren, You Idiot".

Another plug issue.... missed a turn where I wanted to check out an overnight camp spot off a lonely highway in Colorado. Made a nice sharp U-turn and never did notice all the trailer lights going off! Unplugged the trailer connect and what was left of the cable that was cut in half! Pinched by the tongue and ball and then pulled. Next morning spent quite a while splicing those wires with electrical tape that thankfully I carried back then. It was an amazingly tight U-turn. I was pretty amazed I made it and didn't hit the rear quarter panel of the truck against the trailer!

I now carry an extra plug, splice connectors, wire, every tool known to man! And now with a GD 5th wheel, that I've only hooked up a couple of times... I am fearful. But being older I am more cautious but more forgetful.

One last thought... the wife... helping you back up! LOL! My wife over reacts.. A LOT! I can be 20 feet from an obstacle and she's yelling away. My neighbors actually enjoyed the show! I need to get her the pillow shown in a previous post! And I ALWAYS have to remind her, through out the backing process, if you can't see me, I can't see you! Oh me!

Be safe you guys!!!

John
    Last edited by JohnJCES; 05-01-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Spelling... added thoughts!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was just me. Last Friday, May 29, 2020..... Dealer pulls our brand new 344GK-R out to their overnight campground for our test drive of the trailer. My first EXPENSIVE trailer. Sales guys are there, watching me set up. Plug in juice, hook up water. Open front door, lower stairs, climb up, open controls door, find front slide out button, press for the very first time. Everything is fine for 10 seconds then... SNAP, CRACKLE awful noise. They thought the slide out hit something. Nope. The bottom desk drawer at back of of trailer had slid open. Drawer and slider fascia destroyed.

To their credit, the salesmen immediately accepted responsibility for not having closed the drawer properly. Just waiting on parts. Which seems to be a popular pastime with owning an RV.

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Great thread idea! So far all I've done to damage anything was open the slide when a kitchen drawer was open. It doesn't look like it here but that drawer was really jammed in there. The slide wouldn't budge in or out. I had to remove the face of the drawer and RIP it out of there (drawer guides and all). I thought I destroyed it but my wife was actually able to put it back together so you can't tell anything ever happened.

It also bent the slide bracket on the outside edge of the slide because I didn't stop the slide in time when the drawer jammed. I thought this would prevent the slide from coming all the way back in but as it turns out, it seals up fine.

The cost for this rookie mistake was zero but we no longer use that drawer and the slide bracket is still bent (although you can't tell from outside).
    2021 GD 344GK-R
    PullRite Super 5th 24K
    2006 & 2018 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins Diesel
    Wife: Canadian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second day out with trailer on first weekend. We were working during the week and enjoying the weekends as we moved along.

Got to the next campground, beautiful cement pad. We got it all leveled off and I did a walk around to make sure we had clearance, no problem. Wife starts to run out the big slide, then BANG! I yell, what the %$## was that? Wife yells back, "the fascia just popped off the slide on the back". I ask her to go look again.

The black computer bag had slid off the back couch and was leaning up against the far side of the slide. That is one tough HP laptop, it pulled out the screws on the fascia. No issues with laptop at all.

Had to wait until I got home to my air nailer to finish putting the boards back on. Looks pretty good, a few of the nail holes are more noticeable, but it is fine.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish my MacBook was that tough.

QUOTE=Juiceman;298826]Second day out with trailer on first weekend. We were working during the week and enjoying the weekends as we moved along.

Got to the next campground, beautiful cement pad. We got it all leveled off and I did a walk around to make sure we had clearance, no problem. Wife starts to run out the big slide, then BANG! I yell, what the %$## was that? Wife yells back, "the fascia just popped off the slide on the back". I ask her to go look again.

The black computer bag had slid off the back couch and was leaning up against the far side of the slide. That is one tough HP laptop, it pulled out the screws on the fascia. No issues with laptop at all.

Had to wait until I got home to my air nailer to finish putting the boards back on. Looks pretty good, a few of the nail holes are more noticeable, but it is fine.[/QUOTE]
    2021 GD 344GK-R
    PullRite Super 5th 24K
    2006 & 2018 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins Diesel
    Wife: Canadian

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HMM, where to begin? Should I start with opening my sewage drain after filling the tank, not checking if the valve was closed? Or putting the wrong amount of amps into the 30amp outlet installed at my house? or the time I forgot to lock the clip in place on the hitch before driving 100 miles? I have more . . .

lol
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I snapped off the door in my desk when I opened the slide for the first time ever. Apparently this is an issue on the 2670MK because I watched a video of a couple do the exact same thing.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast