Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Anserson Hitch question

Hi All:
    I have been searching and reviewing multiple threads on and about the Anderson Ultimate hitch. A lot of people seem to "rave" about it but never really say why it is so much better. I get the weight saving properties of this hitch but help me out. What is it that makes this hitch so much greater than a "traditional 5th wheel hitch"? A F350 short bed should be here in the next two weeks and then the purchase of a 303RLS. Originally my thought was a decent double jaw pivoting 5th wheel hitch and a Reese Airbourne Sidewinder king pin . This would give me full bed usability, air cushioning and no worries on sharp turns. I don't like the slider options.

Now with all the talk on the Anderson hitch's you have me second guessing myself. Convince me why the Anderson is so much better. I want to understand. Let me state for the record I am open minded but for those in the computer business you will understand I have never drank the "Jobs juice". Just because it is "sexy", slim and costs twice as much doesn't make it the best thing since sliced bread...

THANKS in advance...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Sidewinder hitch might jeopardize your frame warranty
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    I think the Sidewinder hitch might jeopardize your frame warranty
    Actually the sidewinder is approved by LCI and GD but the Anderson is not. Somewhere here on this forum is the official letter from LCI on supporting it.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't speak for short beds in regards to the hitch as far as turning, I have a long bed. I have towed a few fifth wheels and after trying the Anderson on a whim with my new set up I fell in love. First thing I noticed was no chucking. The trailer moves with the truck like a bumper pull would no bucking back a forth. Second I like the hook up, less ability to make the dreaded "jaw didn't fully engage" mistake and drop your fifth wheel onto you bed, lots of people have done this. Also most traditional fifth wheel hitches have only so much articulation, causing the hitch to bind on steep angles, or transitions side to side, the Anderson I believe is almost a 15or 20deg Angle, eliminating this and less chance of damaging your bed. Plus I like the weight savings as mentioned. It's not for everyone, but now with a gooseneck in the bed I can virtually to anything I need! Good luck on your choice lots of stuff out there to choose from, hope this helps! Gongrats on your GD!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Anderson hitch and love it. They are correct besides the weight, which is only 35 pounds to lift in and out of your truck you get not bucking or no dolphing when towing the vehicle. With a short bed truck you simply turn the hitch around and it gives you the 6 inches of clearance needed to clear your truck. Because of the design the weight is still centered over the axles. I would recommend this hitch to anyone buying or updating there hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too like the weight savings and not having to worry about it not being "all the way hooked up". But, I do not think it does any different for the so called chucking.
    I ran a Curt hitch before my Andersen and it actually has less chucking with my current 5th wheel. I turned the adapter plate around which brought the rv closer to
    the truck and it is now on par with what the curt was. I really like the Andersen for the aboved mentioned reasons, but I am pretty sure it does nothing to reduce
    chucking if you compare to a properly setup conventional hitch. I am not the only one saying this either.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two components to "chucking" - the motion you feel in the truck and the noise made by the king pin moving around in a conventional hitch. The Andersen eliminates the noise, but not the motion you feel. Only a dampened pin box or an air-ride hitch can lessen the effects of the interaction between the trailer and the truck. When we towed with an Andersen (which I loved, by the way), we used a Demco Glide Ride pin box. The combo was extremely smooth and quiet. We continue to use the Demco pin box since having to switch back to a conventional hitch (it was a truck trade and equipment availability thing... long story). The PullRite hitch is only slightly noisier than the Andersen, the feel is comparable with the Demco pin box, but the new hitch weighs about 200 lbs. more.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that Demco Glide Ride!!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with all the observations from 92erfan above. To me the biggest advantage with the gooseball version of the Anderson is how fast I can install and remove the hitch from the truck. Literally it can all be done in about 30 seconds. And the fact that the hitch is one piece and light weight means I don't have to take the traditional type hitch apart to break it down in manageable pieces to remove. And I can see the top of the ball from the drivers seat so it makes lining the king pin and ball so easy. With my previous hitch, I couldn't see the capture plate from the drivers seat and either I wasn't lined up good enough or the RV wasn't low enough to glide up onto the capture plate which resulted in "high hitching".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please recommend a gooseneck ball for a F350 w/hitch prep that can be installed an removed easily. Thanks

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast