User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rdianek

Considering A Solitude but have a few questions

Hello!! We are considering a 2014 Solitude 368RD. I have been checking RV forums and a couple of questions have come up. 1. Is the Solitude designed just to be stationary? We plan to travel a lot 2. Are the factory tires ok? Several people stated they are not and should be changed 3. Weight. this 5er seems really heavy compared to our Heartland Elkridge. We would really like to hear from some of you owners!! We love the look and amenities of the Solitude but are concerned about hauling it a lot!! Thanks so much!! Diane

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Considering A Solitude but have a few questions

Welcome to the forum Diane.

We have the Solitude 369RL and one reason we decided on the Solitude was that it is classified as an "Extended Stay" camper. Meaning to be lived in, but not just in one place. We are not full timing yet, but plan on it real soon and we are going to be traveling all over this beautiful country.

You asked about the weight of the Solitude, the GVWR is 16,000 and the dry weight is over 12,000. For that kind of weight you will need at least a 350/3500 deisel truck.

Tires, everyone has their own opinion about tires so I'm not going there.

If you decide on the Solitude, you will not be disapointed. It is a well built quality camper by a customer orenitated company. Maybe Bill Fenech, one of the owners of Grand Design, will be by later to answer some of your questions.

Rdianek

Thanks so much for your feedback. We do have a 2012 Ford F350 6.7 DRW so we are good there. We also plan to travel a lot so we can visit as many states as possible. My husband is a fanatic about safe tires so I'm sure he will do some more research on them. We just fell in love with the Solitude when we were at our RV dealer to check out the repairs being done to our Elkridge. But it is a much heavier rig than ours..

Appreciate the info we will be making a decision in his next day or so

Thanks again
    Diane

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Diane

Thank you very much for considering a Solitude. First off, Solitude is absolutely meant to be towed. As Steve and Cill mentioned, it is an extended stay fifth wheel so long term stays or frequent travel are perfect.

Regarding tires, we spec in tires with weight ratings that exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the fifth wheel. We also use heavier rated axles and 8 lug wheels vs. 6 lug wheels like some of our competitors. We care deeply about building a quality fifth wheel and taking great care of our customers.

I hope this helps.

Happy travels,

Bill Fenech

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Solitude should be a whole lot heavier than your Elkridge. You would have to go with the Reflection to get the weight of your Elkridge. The solitude is a WHOLE LOT more overall trailer than an Elkridge.

Think Chevy Chevette compared to a Cadillac....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I'll tell you that my wife and I looked at truly thousands of fifth wheels, travel trailers, and motorhomes in our quest for the "right" one. We bought the Solitude 369RL. The ONLY wish we had was a kitchen window. The weight of this coach isn't that bad when compared to other high end rigs. What I did notice was that the weight contributes to a much more steady/stable coach. The build quality is amazing in comparison to other rigs that we've looked at.
    Thanks
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Diane:

My comment above needs some clarification. The tires on the Solitude exceed the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) not the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The combined weight rating of the tires exceed the combined weight rating of the axles.

If weight and towing are a concern then you may want to consider a Reflection fifth wheel. The Reflection is lighter than the Solitude but has many similarities and excellent quality like the Solitude.

If you would like to speak with me directly, please do not hesitate to call me at 574-825-8000.

Best regards,

Bill

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Diane,

My wife and I have had two previous 5th wheels and a class A motorhome. We decided to go back to a 5th wheel and looked at many of the higher end units but decided on the 369RL Solitude because of the features and quality of the unit. We pull it with a F350 single rear wheel diesel and feel very comfortable with the weight. We did upgrade to load range G tires just because I wanted a little extra capacity - but that was a personal decision.

At the time we decided on our unit the Reflection 337 floor plan had not been released or we might have considered it but we certainly do not regret our decision or the solid feel of our Solitude when on the road or parked.

Austin
    Austin & Sarah

2019 Imagine 2800BH #2879
    2013 F350 SRW CC FX4 6.5'
    50 gal. Transfer Flow replacement tank

Rdianek

Good morning all! I have to say that I am so impressed, Bill, that you actually monitor this forum!!!! It gives us a feeling of comfort knowing that you are only a phone call away!! We sincerely appreciate all of your input-it is so nice to hear from satisfied owners and it helped us confirm Our decision !!! We will be picking up our new Solitude 368RD next Wednesday. We are so excited!!! We look forward to joining the owners group and hopefully we will get to meet some of you in the future!! We will post a picture next week of our new Solitude!!

Happy travels!
    Jerry and Diane
    north Texas

Site Sponsor Long Island Happy Camper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulation Jerry and Diane. I have personally met General Manager of Grand Design Marc Hauser and spoken directly with Bill Fenech and Don Clark. You will not find a better group of owners and managers in the RV industry. They take extreme pride in customer service and craftsmanship. That's why I purchased my Grand Design Momentum.
    Jeff - Long Island - New York
    2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH #5
    2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Duallie Golden Bronze Metallic
    Reese 20K Select Hitch
    TST flow through tire pressure monitor
    Firestone Ride Rite Air-Bags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast