Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    When you look at these reviews for the tires, there is no indication of issues. Now this is a small sampling, but shows that you can find data to support what you want on the internet. http://www.vulcantire.com/tire_review/wlsuperst_t
    Ct..

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a long search to replace our present 5th wheel we settled on the Reflection 303RLS as the one that came closest to what we wanted in features, size and weight. I was very dissapointed that the factory will not offer upgraded axles, wheels and tires as an option. I will live with the axles but the 15" wheels will be history immediately after delivery. I don't get it, these are bolt on items that are standard on other Reflection models, not special order parts that require redesign or modification
    Last edited by notsosan; 03-18-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is actually a Goodyear G614, and as they say on their website, requires upgraded valve stems (metal I believe) and wheels rated forv110 psi to carry maximum load. Maybe it is an urban (or RV ) legend, but others have told me it is easier to get Goodyear to help with damage to a RV if it is the G614 product. As far as the Marathons, I think they MAY be built in China, which does not necessarily mean they are "the Bomb(s)", but make me unsure of them being the best upgrade. I currently am employed at an independent auto and tire shop where we have access to all the tire warehouses in Denver/Colorado, so I am researching like crazy to choose the best upgrade for our Reflection 337 that should be here in less than 10 days

i
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent a good bit of time on the phone with Bill Feneck today, discussing all the communication and concern about tires. He didn't try to sell me, but he did share a lot of the research and internal discussion Grand Design has had around this issue. To date, they have had no issues with premature failure due to manufacturing or tire quality. It's just my opinion, but I think Grand Design is doing everything they can to give us owners the best value for our money, without taking short cuts or cutting cost corners that would jeopardize safety. I'm comfortable staying with the 15" Westlakes that came on our Reflection 303 and will closely monitor tire pressure and lug nut torque. Loading is critical too, but there is no precise way to measure loading on each axel or tire. I'm not suggesting I'm an expert concerning tires so everybody needs to make their own decision to feel comfortable. I'm just saying I'm comfortable with the way our rig is equipped and stay with it. I did suggest to Bill that Grand Design might do a better job communicating what they have learned and the research they have done to make the decision to go with Westlake tires, as well as highlighting what the owner's responsibilities are for maintaining pressure, torque and proper loading. I can only say I'm very impressed with Grand Designs commitment to its customers.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clarification:

Hi Tumbleweeds

Thank you for the nice post regarding our conversation. I want to clarify a point regarding a comment you made stating "...no issues with premature failure due to manufacturing tire quality". I am always concerned when I hear a manufacturer say "I never heard of that problem". So, after our conversation, I thought hard to try to remember whether I have heard of any problems and I also asked our VP of Service Operations about this. I personally am aware of one tire issue that happened last spring, 2013. Our service department is aware of one tire issue. To the best of my knowledge, these are the only tire issues we are aware of. We take this very seriously and have objective criteria we use to help us determine the tires we use on our products.

Take care,

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill,

It is rare, in this day and age, to find a manufacturer as concerned with their customer's issues. I have spoken with both Marc Hauser and Ray Clark prior to my purchase, and they were always ready to help. As I read this forum I see your comments and those of your Customer Service rep, Janice. Each and every time a "no BS" answer is provided. I am confident that I have made the right choice of 5th wheel RV. Thank youi.
    KZ and Terry Kleinheitz, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Meka and Prissy (Social butterflies in Dachshound bodies)
    2015 379FL Solitude
    2014 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Laramie, Cummins, Auto, 4X4, Long Bed, DRW, Andersen Hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We will be picking up our new shiny 337RLS Monday morning from Lazy Days in Tucson. When they were writing up the quote, I asked them to replace the tires. However, based on what I've been reading, I've decided to give these tires a shot. We'll put 10K+ miles on them between now and September. I'll make sure I provide an update from time to time on tire wear, maintenance and any premature failures. If they work out well, then we'll use them for our trip to Alaska in 2015.

I did order a TST tire monitoring system and received it today so I can keep a closer eye on tire performance while underway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a question I havn't seen asked. Are the factory supplied wheels on the Solitude rated to accept G rated tires with the 110 psi inflation pressures? We have put over 5000 miles on our Solitude with no tire issues... but when the time comes to replace the tires, I may decide to go with the G rated tires. Just for peace of mind.

Thanks
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Solitude a year ago and it came with Westlake tires. I went less than 200 miles before the first one blew. I discovered that 2 of the remaining 3 tires had bubbles on them. I immediately went to the nearest Goodyear store and replaced all tires, including the spare, with Goodyear small truck tires. I towed the Solitude to Alaska and back home (12,000 miles) and never had a problem with the Goodyear tires. Based on this experience and stories I have heard from other RVers, I would never buy an RV that had Chinese tires.

A note about Grand Design service: When I visited the factory and told Bill and others about my experience with the tires, they immediately reimbursed me for the 3 bad tires. After my trip to Alaska I had a few minor warranty issues that were addressed without question or delay. This is in sharp contrast to the experience I had with my previous RV, which was a Keystone product. I tell everyone I meet that Grand Design is great.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsons 369rl View Post
    Here's a question I havn't seen asked. Are the factory supplied wheels on the Solitude rated to accept G rated tires with the 110 psi inflation pressures? We have put over 5000 miles on our Solitude with no tire issues... but when the time comes to replace the tires, I may decide to go with the G rated tires. Just for peace of mind.

Thanks
    Hi Andy & Julie (@thompsons 369rl),

Yes. The OEM wheels can accommodate load range G tires and the associated air pressure requirements.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast