Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen Ultimate and Ram Megacab and Thanks!!

After tons of research and tons of help from many of you on this forum, we joined the Grand Design Family yesterday as our 337rls was delivered. I had researched at length, talked to many forum members about hitch options and ended up with the Andersen Ultimate. Once thing I struggled finding was good photos of a Megacab showing clearance with the cab so last night I took a few as I was testing my setup to show anyone else who may have the same questions. As you can see from the photos I can get to 90 and past, I did not like the strain on the tires or axles it was doing so I did stop short but it would clear without issue. Hope this helps someone in the future as much as everyone did me during my research phase.
    Thanks
    MattClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4068.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	7083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4069.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	7084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4070.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	7085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4071.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	7086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4072.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	7087

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I apologize for the pictures that need rotated........they were formatted properly on my machine prior to uploading. Any advice on how to rotate in the post?
    Thanks
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Matt, I'm sorry that I can't help with pictures. I just turn my iPad
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt,
    First off congratulations on your new 5th wheel! I had the same problem with uploading some pictures taken with my phone. Someone suggested if I opened them in Paint and re-saved them they would load correctly. It worked I also found some application on-line to rotate others pictures that have loaded sideways. I just right click the picture and a drop down menu lets you choose rotate right, left etc.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kevin! LC I like your style on turning the ipad!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be picking up my 2018 Reflection 28BH in September. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab with Ramboxes. I bought an Andersen Ultimate rail mount hitch for my truck. Hoping everything works ok! Short box with Ramboxes hopefully doesn't prove to be a mistake. First ever camper so I've got all kinds of new, anxious experiences to deal with! But it's all to make lasting memories with the family. Worth it to me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the "Titan" boxes on either side of my bed. As long as the Anderson will sit in your bed you should be ok clearing the boxes. That was was one of the reasons I went with the AUH was the clearance over the boxes and sides of bed.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's official. We picked up our Reflection 28BH yesterday! As I mentioned above, I was a bit worried about having the Ramboxes in my truck and having the necessary clearance when turning. I read a review on Amazon from a person that bought the AUH and has a truck with Ramboxes and he said that the hitch doesn't work. I don't know what kind of camper he had but all it said was that it didn't work. Andersen's website says it's one of the few hitch solutions that works with Ramboxes. I was nervous about it. Too keep a long story short, I ended up having to put the ball in it's highest position and rotate the coupler 180 degrees so the kingpin on the camper was in front of the ball on the hitch. That setup gave me all the clearances I needed. I have lots of cab clearance, lots of clearance above bed sides and good clearance for camper hitch to bed sides when turning. If I felt I needed a little more clearance, I could probably drop the camper hitch down a set of holes but I wanted that to be my last resort. I am extremely happy with how the camper pulled!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    It's official. We picked up our Reflection 28BH yesterday! As I mentioned above, I was a bit worried about having the Ramboxes in my truck and having the necessary clearance when turning. I read a review on Amazon from a person that bought the AUH and has a truck with Ramboxes and he said that the hitch doesn't work. I don't know what kind of camper he had but all it said was that it didn't work. Andersen's website says it's one of the few hitch solutions that works with Ramboxes. I was nervous about it. Too keep a long story short, I ended up having to put the ball in it's highest position and rotate the coupler 180 degrees so the kingpin on the camper was in front of the ball on the hitch. That setup gave me all the clearances I needed. I have lots of cab clearance, lots of clearance above bed sides and good clearance for camper hitch to bed sides when turning. If I felt I needed a little more clearance, I could probably drop the camper hitch down a set of holes but I wanted that to be my last resort. I am extremely happy with how the camper pulled!
    Its an exciting moment, isn't it? I've been wondering about the Ramboxes, and it's great to hear that it works. We recently upgraded our tow vehicle to a 2013 F-350 diesel, and switched to the Andersen Ultimate. I love the ride and the simplicity of hookup. And you cannot beat the weight and ease of removal. I had a Pullrite slider in our F-150, and that thing weighs more than the truck.

We did learn a valuable lesson to pay attention to the angles, when maneuvering in the forest. We were leaving our dispersed campsight, and veering right to avoid a rut in the road, while turning onto the forest road. This put the passenger side up on a little rise, which brought the nose of the RV down to within a half-inch of the bed rail. I had to back up and adjust my line. Had I not been watching, contact would have been made. This isn't a flaw in the hitch design, but was still a wake up call. You can see from this picture that we have plenty of clearance on level ground. Live and learn!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170827_161019.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	9910
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this. I just placed a deposit on a 2019 28BH and also have a 2010 Mega CAB - so I have been searching for about 3 hours now trying to find if the AUH would work for me. Searching is now done! Thanks for the pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast