Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat through windows

Has anyone done anything to cut down on the amount of heat that comes in through the tinted windows? I can only imagine how much cold will come in too. When the sun hits the windows, there is a massive amount of heat transferred through to the inside. Maybe some reflective liners would help. Or possibly a reflective coating applied to the inside of the windows.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for now I just use the pull down shades, back of trailer faces west and its been hot. cuts down on heat transfer some, had a TT a few year back that I custom cut some of he silver bubblewrap insulation that cut down most of the heat transfer but was a pain to install and remove so it stayed in place. hope it helps...
    Steve & Diane -
    Home is where we park it now.
    Furry Kid; Springer Spaniel
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2015 Ram 3500/DRW/4x4/6.7TD/AISN/4.10/4 Door-Long Bed
    B&W Companion in Factory Pucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been in the upper 80's and low 90's in the Seattle area. Extremely hot for us. I close the blinds after opening the windows until the sun passes that area. If it is real bad, in the past, I have used window reflectors to reflect the heat back out. It isn't that bad in the winter. I live FT in mine and in the winter months it does get cold, but not as bad as my last 5th Wheel. Yesterday it got up to 93 and I was fine until about 5:15 and then closed up the trailer and turned the AC on and by 8pm I was fine.
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got home from work the other night, it was hot out, upper 90's. Just for giggles I went out to the Solitude to see what the inside temp was, 99 pretty hot. It is parked on the North side of my shop that has 10' walls. My old 2001 alumascape is now parked on the south side of the shop and it felt cooler inside. The difference I think is the amount of glass.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ceramic window film is your friend! It's pricey but well worth it.

We had it installed on an office building that I was the Service Manager for and I was very surprised at the difference in the temperature. I got to talking to the owner of the business and he invited me out to his shop to show me a new film made for the automotive industry. Because my dogs travel with me, I had always went for the darkest limo tint on my side and back windows.

He had a heat lamp set up with with a wheel that had various shades of tint from clear glass, 50%, 30% and 5% (often referred to as limo tint.....only let's 5% of light through) and then clear ceramic tint. He asked me to put my hand under the heat lamp as he turned the wheel through each of the shades of tint. When he went from the "limo" tint of 5% (that I always thought was so great) to the ceramic tint I could not believe the difference....and it was clear....no tint at all. Much, much cooler.

That was about six years ago and I just had my third vehicle done. And since it's clear, you can have your front windshield done, also! A huge difference. Do a Yelp search for the highest rated window tint company in your area and go visit them.....talk to them about the ceramic tint....that tempereture control is your priority and do the heat lamp test for yourself. You will quickly become a believer. It's pricey, but well worth it.....even when your truck (or RV) sits in the direct sun for a length of time.

Click on this 3M link and scroll down to where it says " Get the ultimate in comfort and clarity.
    3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series rejects more heat than many darker films without changing the appearance of your vehicle." I'm not promoting the 3M brand.....it's not even what I have on this truck....but you'll get the idea from a company that has a well earned reputation.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automotiv...WT.source=bing

I do plan to take my 376TH to the same guy here in San Diego and get all the windows done that are not under the awnings, to begin with. Like I said, very pricey, but money well spent.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly any help. We have the dual pane windows in our trailer. There is only a slight warmth felt through the windows. Even the black trim on the kitchen table does not get hot. In contrast the heat coming through the door window is extreme. This is in south Florida at over 90 degrees. 2 AC units have no problem keeping us cool. We have not needed to run all 3 AC's yet. We did put some reflective material in some of the south facing windows to help out even more. We are extremely pleased that we ordered our rig with the dual pane windows. Can't even imaging how hot the trailer would get without them.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all of the sales people I talked to tried to talk me out of the dual pane windows. It is an expensive option and they do add some weight, but all the hype about insulation is canceled with so much glass. This was probably the reason that my first choice 5er was an Artic Fox, they all come with dual pane windows. But this was the floor plan my wife liked, so I will adapt.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought mine used (6 months old) from a private seller. But if I were buying new.....after experiencing it both single and dual pane in my Fox Mountain....it would sure have dual pane windows! I don't care what a salesman says.....learned that long ago! They just want to sell the rig that they already have on their lot and it doesn't have dual pane. That's exactly how I experienced the Fox Mountain with single pane and then later dual pane windows. Huge difference and well worth it in my humble opinion!

Since this trailer has single pane and they want a bucket load of money to change them out.......I'll have to settle for the ceramic film in this one.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet the ceramic tint on the dual panes would be pretty great.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Ceramic window film is your friend! It's pricey but well worth it.

We had it installed on an office building that I was the Service Manager for and I was very surprised at the difference in the temperature. I got to talking to the owner of the business and he invited me out to his shop to show me a new film made for the automotive industry. Because my dogs travel with me, I had always went for the darkest limo tint on my side and back windows.

He had a heat lamp set up with with a wheel that had various shades of tint from clear glass, 50%, 30% and 5% (often referred to as limo tint.....only let's 5% of light through) and then clear ceramic tint. He asked me to put my hand under the heat lamp as he turned the wheel through each of the shades of tint. When he went from the "limo" tint of 5% (that I always thought was so great) to the ceramic tint I could not believe the difference....and it was clear....no tint at all. Much, much cooler.

That was about six years ago and I just had my third vehicle done. And since it's clear, you can have your front windshield done, also! A huge difference. Do a Yelp search for the highest rated window tint company in your area and go visit them.....talk to them about the ceramic tint....that tempereture control is your priority and do the heat lamp test for yourself. You will quickly become a believer. It's pricey, but well worth it.....even when your truck (or RV) sits in the direct sun for a length of time.

Click on this 3M link and scroll down to where it says " Get the ultimate in comfort and clarity.
    3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series rejects more heat than many darker films without changing the appearance of your vehicle." I'm not promoting the 3M brand.....it's not even what I have on this truck....but you'll get the idea from a company that has a well earned reputation.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/automotiv...WT.source=bing

I do plan to take my 376TH to the same guy here in San Diego and get all the windows done that are not under the awnings, to begin with. Like I said, very pricey, but money well spent.
    I like the idea of the 3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline JCZ, but in the winter when I want the warm sun to come in the window it couldn't. On the truck windows that wouldn't matter, because the truck heater can handle it better.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast